Votes: 37 8.9%
  • Over 30,000 miles

Votes: 80 19.3%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Not checking mine. I'm too lazy and incompetent to do it myself, and I don't trust anyone within riding range of here to do it. If I trash something, no big deal, buy a s/h head or fit something better.
Same here, I'll check it whenever or when I upgrade the cams. Or if something goes bad I'll install some "goodies" at the same time. Win - Win. Definitely not an urgency in my mind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had my valve lash adjusted on my 07 DX @ 21K miles because of noise coming from the engine. Dealer said three were out of specs. after the adjustment and the 20K service it was still making noise, so they pulled off the left side cover and the triple sprocket bolt fell out of the case. Needless to say the bolt was making the noise that I was hearing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is a picture of the bolt in my profile, cant get it to put pictures in here for some reason. I just call it how I see it im not here to pull anyones leg.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The thought crossed my mind as they kept it for another month after finding that bolt saying that they were waiting on exhaust gaskets. When I asked for the gasket part number because I wanted to find them myself they then admitted what they found when they pulled the left cover off. I thought they might have swapped the motor to keep from getting sued but if they did they didnt tell me and they restamped the block to match. Unless the bulb was blown out I never lost oil pressure. who knows, maby it was a harley conspiracy!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I'm betting they did a stealthy engine swap w/matching VIN

·
Registered
79 Posts
there were metal shavings in the motor from that bolt! if they swapped it that means im back to 10K miles cool! as good as it is running it wouldn't surprise me.

·
ColonelB
160 Posts
I had a local shop (McCulloghs in Elkridge, MD) do the valve check/adjustment this last month - it took that long for Harley to provide the shims! My mechanic contacted the 3 closest dealers initially hoping to complete his shim before cracking the heads, but none of the dealers had any to spare, and it appeared that at least one had only ever ordered 2 shim kits over the last 3 years, so it brings one to wonder if they are actually doing the service they are charging for.

My bike was checked by a dealer at 12k miles and no adjustment was necessary. I'm at 46K, and the valve lash was just over the limit for adding the thinnest shim, so I'm impressed that the engine is in such good shape with all the enthusiastic riding and high speed commuting I do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lad after my own heart!

Well ladies & gents,
The worst thing was that the motor was techtarded during the check and I had to bring it back 3 times to get THEIR leaks to stop. Never again.
This motor is tough, at least mine is, and there is no need to spend for fashion techgasms in my opinion. Look, I know some of you guys are going to chrome everything inside of the engine when you can get around to it, then claim an extra 5 HP and up-confidence in picking up girls. I wont say that doesn't work. Whatever gets into your head man.
Man after my own heart! I see the same "chasing hp" on the XR sites; chrome this do that for 1 or two hp. Not worth it. I guess I am to old school. If you want power cube up, then worry about intake and exhaust.
Most important, I change oil every 3k, dino 20/50, never has failed me - read a post on the GS forum where a rider had the synth oil analyzed and they stated he is good for another 5k; the synth already had 10,500 miles on it! That is so wrong! He must have never heard of combustion byproducts and moisture.
I guess what I am saying is that once the motor is past the "infant mortality" stage, regular oil changes (3k) is the best way to get the maximum life out of a motor.

My $0.10 worth!

:soapbox: On regular oil changes

·
Silver Bullet
540 Posts
I have a 2003 with 26,000 miles and have not had my shims checked. Use full synthetic oil. Engine is quite and everything sounds tight and good. That is 10 years. I can tell you by now the air cooled Harley's would have been into the upper end.

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
OK so what is the latest recommended service interval? Is it 20,000Miles? I'm at 18,000 now and my warranty runs out in December. curley

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have just completed a lash check on a cx with 85000 km on the clock.It has done 35000km on stage two cams and this was the first check since they were installed.the clearances were all within spec and did not require adjustment.this bike is ridden hard.

121 - 140 of 178 Posts