Votes: 37 8.9%
  • Over 30,000 miles

Votes: 80 19.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions for you about having your valve lash checked.

1st) This poll is for how many miles you have ridden before checking the valve lash without negative results for not following the recommended service interval.

2nd) For those of you who have exceeded the service recommendation, please post up what the findings were when checked, How many shims were changed. How much of an adjustment was needed with the changed shims?

There have been many times I have seen people post how far beyond the service recommendation they went without issues. This will collect all this information in one spot.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
When I pulled my motor out of my 04B to do performance work it had over 16k miles on it. Before tearing it apart I checked lash and all check ok according the manuals specs. I get very skeptical when I hear about dealerships changing peoples lash when doing 10k or 15k mile inspections.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I have an '02 so the recommended interval was 10,000 miles. I'm a conservative rider and have a knack for understanding what my engine is doing, so waited until 17,000 miles to check the first time. According to my dealer no adjustment was required. I waited until 40,000 for the second check, which I did myself with some expert help from a (certified) friend. Five of the eight valves were just out of spec. All were out on the 'too much clearance' side so I feel that these systems wear just like most other valve trains and gain clearance rather than losing it.

Based on my findings, I think a conservative rider can go 20,000 miles between checks, and a more aggressive rider should probably stay closer to the manufacturer's recommendation, i.e., should check clearances at least every 15,000 miles. Those with modified valve trains with heavy springs, etc., are on their own.:D

This is just my own opinion, and not official in any way. My opinion is based on one machine which did require minor adjustment after 40,000 miles.:)

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
My belief is when you come to checking the lash you might as well add a little displacement. :deal: Sorry, never lashed mine before building it up.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I try to do mine every 30k or so even if they didn't need it then. The valve lash checking is way off and my fear has always been that dealers are setting them wrong because they keep saying the gap is greater and not less as it should be.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I checked mine just over 20k and all valves were in spec no adjustment needed

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
You might already know the attachment, it shows the valve lash course in 64.000 miles endurance test. This is from a most valuable article "Revolution Engine <br /> The New Water-Cooled Four-Valve Engine from Harley-Davidson", MTZ worldwide Edition: 2003-03 which can be purchased here:
The authors are the heads of the Porsche engineering team who helped developing the revo engine: Klaus Fuoss; Wolfgang Schnepf; Manfred Schürmann; Johannes Weyandt; Patrick D. Keller

Despite the bad quality it is obvious that both intake and exhaust valve lashes do remain within their tolerances.
Nevertheless I find it advisable to verify the initial settings after 250 operating hours.

Attachments

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Nevertheless I find it advisable to verify the initial settings after 250 operating hours.
How am I going to calculate 250 operating hours? :confused:

·
The Young One...
2,585 Posts
well at a constant 120 mph thats 30,000 miles. ahaha im just messin

·
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cowboy Klaus, I haven't talked to that guy in a couple years. Very cool cat. He was the lead design engineer for Porsche which is a very formal company. Klaus, would work in shredded jeans, t shirts, and a wicked mullet. Very into 80-90 rock! He did what ever he wanted because he is such and incredible design artist.

Back on topic, post up your experiences with lash please!

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
I have no clue if mine has ever been checked. When I first read the title of the post I was thinking valve stem on my tires. I dont know a thing about the engine except that it goes fast when I give it gas!

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
How am I going to calculate 250 operating hours? :confused:
That's about 10,000 miles for most people. Which is, um, bad news, on the face of it.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I try to do mine every 30k or so even if they didn't need it then. The valve lash checking is way off and my fear has always been that dealers are setting them wrong because they keep saying the gap is greater and not less as it should be.
Are you thinking modern multivalve bike engine here? While valve recession is one factor, so is lobe and bucket wear, on most of 'em at least.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
i checked my 02 at 8000km.the left rear exh valve was at min recomended clearance.the rest were ok.i rechecked at 30000km and the clearances were the same.i reset the min valve to mid way between tolerances.the bike has now nearly 100000 km and i havent been back inside it..i truely believe that its a waste of money and time doing regular rechecks once those early rechecks have been done to confirm all is ok..

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
13k on my '04. Haven't checked yet.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Mine's at 25K... I'll be checking it next week if my $%$&^@ parts and gaskets ever come in!

1 - 20 of 178 Posts