Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been here as a guest since 04,felt is was time to purchase a VROD after test riding and renting Vrods since 03 I felt the motor co hit there mark with the 08 line up ,So I just picked up An 08 DX very happy with it. Ive been a Air cooled Hd guy for 30 years,Ive always was a fan of fuel injection on my bikes and found Zippers/Thundermax alway the wey to go on the Air cooled HDs ,There open loop and closed loop systems work supurb in HP And tq gains with about 2000 points of adjustment you can really due some fine tuneing with there plug and play ECM,There closed loop system witch I have on my 07 Street Glide, gives you wide band o2 sensors with there auto tuner,So you load your basic map for your specific performance parts you have on your bike and the auto tuner takes it from there ,it take about 300 miles of riding so the auto tuner reads your specific riding style and remembers it so it can make the ajustments in milli seconds , and keeps you running at opt.Performance at all times. Anywey I tell you all this because They are in testing phase now with VRODs SO SOON you will have another choice for ECM proformance tunning ,I also know they are in works with D&D on this project for a new line of exhaust........2Wheel

·
Registered
494 Posts
2wheel said:
Been here as a guest since 04,felt is was time to purchase a VROD after test riding and renting Vrods since 03 I felt the motor co hit there mark with the 08 line up ,So I just picked up An 08 DX very happy with it. Ive been a Air cooled Hd guy for 30 years,Ive always was a fan of fuel injection on my bikes and found Zippers/Thundermax alway the wey to go on the Air cooled HDs ,There open loop and closed loop systems work supurb in HP And tq gains with about 2000 points of adjustment you can really due some fine tuneing with there plug and play ECM,There closed loop system witch I have on my 07 Street Glide, gives you wide band o2 sensors with there auto tuner,So you load your basic map for your specific performance parts you have on your bike and the auto tuner takes it from there ,it take about 300 miles of riding so the auto tuner reads your specific riding style and remembers it so it can make the ajustments in milli seconds , and keeps you running at opt.Performance at all times. Anywey I tell you all this because They are in testing phase now with VRODs SO SOON you will have another choice for ECM proformance tunning ,I also know they are in works with D&D on this project for a new line of exhaust........2Wheel
Thanks for the alert . . .

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
NorthILLVROD03 said:
now that would be a very interesting thing to keep an eye on..auto tunning nice
Daytona TwinTec has had this with the VRFID for about 2 years now but it's aways good to have more people in the game. Keep up in the loop if you find out more.

2Wheel,
If you know them could you find out what their relationship with Daytona TwinTec is? I know they have worked together in the past.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will keep you posted on the release date on Zippers products for VRODS,I also will tell you that RB Racing has shelved there testing on exhaust for VRODs but they expect to start testing again this winter, So maybe by next spring they will be another choice for exhaust systems for VRODS, I hope they release somthing because I run there systems on my other bikes and they produce excellent gains across the board with looks and quality ,But I will tell you that they do not mass produce,they make every exhaust by hand and you will wait 4 to 6 weeks after you place a order,BUT well worth the wait.

·
Registered
378 Posts
1. Since the '08 V-Rods have o2 sensors, will these be replaced with wideband sensors? At least the bungs are already in place.

2. What becomes of the proprietary knock sensing that HD uses? Is it still active?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
JustSam said:
1. Since the '08 V-Rods have o2 sensors, will these be replaced with wideband sensors? At least the bungs are already in place.

2. What becomes of the proprietary knock sensing that HD uses? Is it still active?

The stock o2 sensors will be removed and replaced with the widebands. The stock ECM is also replaced at the same time.

With the VRFI-D the knock sensing goes bye bye. I believe it is due to the ECM replacement.

·
Third of 4
289 Posts
I believe the closed loop systems are fairly new for Harley - when did they start using them in Vrods? Is 08 the first year?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
o2man98 said:
The stock o2 sensors will be removed and replaced with the widebands. The stock ECM is also replaced at the same time.

With the VRFI-D the knock sensing goes bye bye. I believe it is due to the ECM replacement.
Knock sensing goes bye bye because the Delphi Ion Sensing is patented and no aftermarket ECM can legally use it.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The ThirdAM said:
I believe the closed loop systems are fairly new for Harley - when did they start using them in Vrods? Is 08 the first year?
Closed loop is new for Harley but not for Delphi who the work with closely for their EFI systems. The Harley closed loop system is narrow band and cannot adapt for modifications. It's sole purpose in life is to maintain a proper AFR so the emissions control systems function properly.

This is not unique to Harley, most if not all closed loop systems operate this way.

·
lurch on two wheels
296 Posts
What I'm really waiting for is someone to come up with a tool for the HD ECM like they have for the GM ECM's. Since both are Delphi you wouldn't think it would be that far of a stretch. There are multiple products on the market that you can use to tune the GM ECM/PCM, and much more powerful than even the SERT, which is probably the best thing we have going for us now, but it doesn't give us access to anything but a handful of the tables.

Some of the SERT functionality is actually taken from after market companies that have written software for the GM ECM/PCM so maybe the knowledge is out there, its just that the MOCO closed the door with a check before we knew it was open.

-jt

·
Registered
83 Posts
2wheel said:
Actually I have an 07' D got my pipes from D&D, drilled holes for bungs had the fabricator that makes the frames for our cutsom choppers weld bungs in. The pipes I got are black so very easy to paint over, Zippers main HQ is about 10 mins from my house and my father happens to be a good friend with the owner. Long story short the very first thundermax closed loop is going on my bike, I stopped by there monday and they had the moduele on and the bike running but still needed to tweak it. I'm hoping to get the bike back tomorrow. When I get it back i'll post pics of the bungs in my pipes and let you guys know the numbers and such.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
JaredT said:
What I'm really waiting for is someone to come up with a tool for the HD ECM like they have for the GM ECM's. Since both are Delphi you wouldn't think it would be that far of a stretch. There are multiple products on the market that you can use to tune the GM ECM/PCM, and much more powerful than even the SERT, which is probably the best thing we have going for us now, but it doesn't give us access to anything but a handful of the tables.

Some of the SERT functionality is actually taken from after market companies that have written software for the GM ECM/PCM so maybe the knowledge is out there, its just that the MOCO closed the door with a check before we knew it was open.

-jt
I have been waiting for this since the V-Rod came out. With products like HPTuners and EFILive for GM I can only imagine that similar is capable with any of the HD Delphi EFI bikes, not just the V-Rod.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Long story short the very first thundermax closed loop is going on my bike,
Have they been able to get around the HD proprietary knock sensing, pay a fee etc?

Using an added acoustic knock sensor?

Not providing any knock sensing?

·
Registered
83 Posts
JustSam said:
Have they been able to get around the HD proprietary knock sensing, pay a fee etc?

Using an added acoustic knock sensor?

Not providing any knock sensing?
Not sure really i'll get back to you on that!

·
lurch on two wheels
296 Posts
o2man98 said:
I have been waiting for this since the V-Rod came out. With products like HPTuners and EFILive for GM I can only imagine that similar is capable with any of the HD Delphi EFI bikes, not just the V-Rod.
Agreed, I'd even be happy with some old school LT1Edit and Datamaster. Oddly enough I'm very sure that Datamaster is what at least part of what the SERT is using. The interface is the identical. It all started with some guys doing some hacking...

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
You all know that Harley isn't the author of the Race Tuner, right? It's written by The Turbo Shop, one of the first "hackers" into the Delphi systems way back when..... Of course it's written using H-D's specs.

Do you see something that looks familiar in this link ;) http://www.ttspowersystems.com/ALDL_cable.html

·
lurch on two wheels
296 Posts
I knew TTS had a hand in it, b/c some of the screen shots I've seen are no doubt Datamaster, I didn't know if they used someone elses program for the actual program changes tho. I wonder if we would bug a couple of places if they would come up with something. Tunercat might be a good one ;)

-jt

·
Registered
68 Posts
CoLd_bLooDed said:
Actually I have an 07' D got my pipes from D&D, drilled holes for bungs had the fabricator that makes the frames for our cutsom choppers weld bungs in. The pipes I got are black so very easy to paint over, Zippers main HQ is about 10 mins from my house and my father happens to be a good friend with the owner. Long story short the very first thundermax closed loop is going on my bike, I stopped by there monday and they had the moduele on and the bike running but still needed to tweak it. I'm hoping to get the bike back tomorrow. When I get it back i'll post pics of the bungs in my pipes and let you guys know the numbers and such.
I've been in contact with Zippers for over a year now and they kept telling me that the vrod is next on their list? I also been in contact with RB Racing and their LSR Mega Megs, same excuse.

·
lurch on two wheels
296 Posts
HP Tuners

Figured I would drop HP Tuners a quick question and recieved this back:

Jared,

As an owner of an injected 04 Night Train and an 04 Carb'd Low Rider, I am
with you!

We have discussed it, but have not committed the development resources yet.
For business reasons, there are several four wheel applications to complete
before the HD becomes a priority. Please feel free to check back for a
status update in about six months.

Thank you!

Jay Payson
HP Tuners

1 - 20 of 27 Posts