Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious on how far you push your vrod.. this question prolly wont qualify for those out there who race their bikes,its meant for the "average" rider.

Me,for one..have owned a few bikes in my days. I am a 54 yr old guy,not married anymore,and the vrod is my second HD. My first bike was back in '74,bought a '72 Kawi 100c.c on/off road from my brothers wife with 200 miles on it. A yr later was a 1968 Honda 305..I was moving up!! A yr later I got my dream bike,a '48 panhead..I had that for 5 yrs making it into what I wanted,until one day as I came up a hill by the house,rounding a slight bank to the right,the kick stand dug into the road and pushed me to the other side,handlebars digging into my left side,taking my left kidney off the artery..I woke up three days later in I.C.U. Gave up bikes for 25 yrs.

In 04 my best friend hounded me on getting another bike..if I got a bike it would give him incentive to get his '74 shovel going.. I picked up an 86 Yammi 700..I still have it..and two weeks later,my best pal in the whole world died in his sleep..and here I was with this bike,that I REALLY didnt want,and he was gone,but I kept it,in his memory. The first time I took it out,after 25 yrs of not riding,I was HOOKED! it only took a 20 mile ride to realise what I had been missing! So I rode it for the remainder of that yr,and in 05 I "needed" something new..and "bigger" and bought a new H**** VTX 1300..a marvelous machine :) Untill one day, EXACTLY one yr after my pal dies, a woman,seeing me comming up the road in the other direction,turns left directly in front of me and I hit her doing 40 mph.:banghead:. Double compound fracture..skin grafts..rod from knee to ankle..pins in ankle..a plate and a few screws..out of work for a year.

While I was recouping I visted the local HD dealer and bought my B. She was a leftover 05 and I got her in December My brother thought I was NUTS for buying nother bike after the accident..I was thinking of an airhead,but the B just caught my eye..

So after all this,this is my questions to you people.

The B is really my first sport bike..if you can call it that. I like to twist the throttle,and am wondering how much an "average" rider twists? Thats why I say someone who races these bikes wouldnt be a good example for me.

I have put on just about 15k.. I think I have brought the speedo up to 115 mph once!lol
I ocassionally do 9k shifts..1st into 2nd.. I have NEVER brought her up to redline in every gear..has anyone?
Once I hit 3rd gear the FN bike is honking and it starts to freak me out lol.
I can betcha some of you younger guys on this list have prolly taken her to the limit in all gears..I really can't imagine..but I bet its a thrill!

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
I have pushed it, just to see what it would do, and ride long distances. Run down the track a few times to see. 126mph was all I got on a dragstrip, and ran out of room. Ride safe! Joe

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I ride my bike like every person on the road is trying to kill me. I have hit red in first and second. Top speed of 125-130. As soon as anyone else is near me I throttle down. I have had a bunch of friends get hurt for no apparent reason (taking a left shouldn't mean that you should get rear ended and 50mph) and I think of that every time some cage is around me.

BUT the feeling of twisting the throttle is too much when no one is around... Especially when the girl is on the back and has to grab on for dear life! :)

-Keith

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I have some pretty interesting x-rays by now from all the broken ribs and shoulder parts, but no metal and I've never had the sorts of hospitalizations you've had. Geez!
I did start riding one of my bikes three weeks after a back operation (herniated a disc from flying paint-shaker Navy helicopters) and managed to dump it on a low speed low side on my second weekend out, four weeks after that back operation. No harm, no foul, did maybe $50 damage to the bike. I still push everything I own at least once in a while.
I was out a week ago on Panamint-Wildrose Road near Death Valley on one of my Beemers, a twenty six year old K-100RS I have had since new, flat out for many miles at a steady 145-146 mph. Did about half the day above 90 mph. I can do that out in the desert.
Glad you found out how much enjoyment there is on two wheels while you are still young enough to enjoy it. Without a bike I am not a happy person.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Just curious on how far you push your vrod.. this question prolly wont qualify for those out there who race their bikes,its meant for the "average" rider.

Me,for one..have owned a few bikes in my days. I am a 54 yr old guy,not married anymore,and the vrod is my second HD. My first bike was back in '74,bought a '72 Kawi 100c.c on/off road from my brothers wife with 200 miles on it. A yr later was a 1968 Honda 305..I was moving up!! A yr later I got my dream bike,a '48 panhead..I had that for 5 yrs making it into what I wanted,until one day as I came up a hill by the house,rounding a slight bank to the right,the kick stand dug into the road and pushed me to the other side,handlebars digging into my left side,taking my left kidney off the artery..I woke up three days later in I.C.U. Gave up bikes for 25 yrs.

In 04 my best friend hounded me on getting another bike..if I got a bike it would give him incentive to get his '74 shovel going.. I picked up an 86 Yammi 700..I still have it..and two weeks later,my best pal in the whole world died in his sleep..and here I was with this bike,that I REALLY didnt want,and he was gone,but I kept it,in his memory. The first time I took it out,after 25 yrs of not riding,I was HOOKED! it only took a 20 mile ride to realise what I had been missing! So I rode it for the remainder of that yr,and in 05 I "needed" something new..and "bigger" and bought a new H**** VTX 1300..a marvelous machine :) Untill one day, EXACTLY one yr after my pal dies, a woman,seeing me comming up the road in the other direction,turns left directly in front of me and I hit her doing 40 mph.:banghead:. Double compound fracture..skin grafts..rod from knee to ankle..pins in ankle..a plate and a few screws..out of work for a year.

While I was recouping I visted the local HD dealer and bought my B. She was a leftover 05 and I got her in December My brother thought I was NUTS for buying nother bike after the accident..I was thinking of an airhead,but the B just caught my eye..

So after all this,this is my questions to you people.

The B is really my first sport bike..if you can call it that. I like to twist the throttle,and am wondering how much an "average" rider twists? Thats why I say someone who races these bikes wouldnt be a good example for me.

I have put on just about 15k.. I think I have brought the speedo up to 115 mph once!lol
I ocassionally do 9k shifts..1st into 2nd.. I have NEVER brought her up to redline in every gear..has anyone?
Once I hit 3rd gear the FN bike is honking and it starts to freak me out lol.
I can betcha some of you younger guys on this list have prolly taken her to the limit in all gears..I really can't imagine..but I bet its a thrill!

Jim
I run the DX rather hard all the time, I run every bike hard though. I've made a handful of passes at the track with it but I'm not as young or sharp as I used to be, I hit the limiter on occasion, love burnouts, love hole shots, love banging gears.....love this engine.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Just the other day I found myself trying to decide if I prefered 4th or 5th gear at 65mph; who knows what crazy stunt I'll try next.

In the spirit of the thread, I probably do most of my heavy acceleration when merging on to the highway; the only vehicle I keep at or near redline is my waverunner *lol*

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had my vrod (07dx) for just over a year now. When I first got her I always rode around in the 3K-5K range. But this Spring I started riding harder, much harder. And as everyone here will attest, the vrod is an entirely different animal above 5K. :angeldev: I used to upshift at 3600, now I never upshift below 5K. As for red-lining, I've done it in all but 5th. I've had it above 130, once. It was rock solid, and I swear I had a fair bit of throttle left. I have to admit that my gas mileage was WAY better last Fall, but I'm pretty sure that most of us around here don't care too much how often we have to visit the gas station. And, just to mention, the bike uses absolutely no oil. (i.e. I never have to add oil between scheduled changes)

As a few around here are fond of saying. "Ride like you stole it"

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
I can't get another speeding ticket so I do my best to stay the speed limit...which ****ing sucks. However, this past weekend I was rocking the throttle on some sweet twistys in South East Ohio. 5k RPM's became my new low end for the hills and curves. Man that was fun. Don't really red line it much if ever...hell there is no need to! = )

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Just the other day I found myself trying to decide if I prefered 4th or 5th gear at 65mph; who knows what crazy stunt I'll try next.

In the spirit of the thread, I probably do most of my heavy acceleration when merging on to the highway; the only vehicle I keep at or near redline is my waverunner *lol*
I'm certain that, like most of us men, you manage to red line the woman in your life more often than you are comfortable with! :hidesbeh:

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
I just got a ticket on my R for doing 50 in a round-about.

Mini track days can be just as expensive as the real thing.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
It was totally non offensive and showed wit; especially for somebody who is located around Washington, DC.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
No, i'm not around DC, i'm IN washington DC. where there's general lawlessnes, murder, and corruption (though you can get a decent chili dog).

hell, i even work for the gummint - and we're probably comin pretty soon for yer women and yer guns (i'll have to ask my supervisor what our plans are this week, i think it may have been postponed).

but i may let you keep yer kids, i don't like kids that much.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Unless you're going to ride conservatively the V-Rod pretty much dictates the riding style which I found to be straight line bursts of acceleration and eventually near equivalent deceleration due to limited cornering clearance.

I've found I still prefer an in-line 4 kind of rider that enjoys higher revs, less weight (unless we're talking about the rider) and better cornering capabilities.

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
Jim....I ride mine every chance I get I don't run it hard....however every once in a while when I alone and I'm on familiar roads the throttle seems to twist itself 'til I hit the rev limiter in every gear. then I back down and continue to just roam the great outdoors.

I believe that it's better to have the power and NOT NEED it than NEED it and NOT have it. By stranglin' it occasionally, it remindse me what its capable of doing.

Enjoy....Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts