Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what to do here - i.e., not sure what would look the best.

I'm in the process of installing new chrome wheels, rotors, pulley, swing arm and fork sliders. My fear is that with this and all the other chrome I have on the bike chrome calipers might be too much. Therefore, I've been considering getting my calipers powder coated black. The reason being is that I think contrast is good - as much as I like chrome I don't want the bike to be one big hunk of chrome and I don't want to potentially lose some of the detail by blending everything together with chrome.

Again, not sure how this would look. Therefore, any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Craig

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I agree that for the chrome to look good it needs some color to break it up. Try the black first, you can always chrome them later if you don't like them but I think the black would look good with all the chrome.

Max

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Does this look Bad?

Attachments

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
now that i think about it,the silver crackle powder coat would look awesome on it.....and the frame aswell......*brainstorms*

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Kaz that doesn't look bad at all but it might look good with black calipers as well.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not at all, Kaz. Don't get me wrong, I do love the look of chrome, just thinking about alternatives. I also don't have a custom paint job so just wondering how all that silver and chrome would look together and thought maybe some black would help break it up.

FastVRSCA, do you have any pics of the silver crackle powder coat you mention?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far and keep 'em coming!

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
this is the only picture i have of it...and it looks dark because of the B&W pic, but the whole bike is done in it.
its a light grey/silver look with with black crackle in it.

PS i'll try to go down this weekend and take good pictures of the finish.
its hard to tell in the picture

Attachments

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right it's tough to tell...but it looks like it has potential!

Thanks for offering to get other pics, I'd love to see them!

Craig

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Craig, I personally did not get the chrome calipers nor the chrome master cylinders because I wanted contrast. Since the stock ones match the frame, I stuck with those. IMHO it looks great and flows with contrast better. I have thought about the black, but I wanted things to match and flow.

Attachments

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the post vrsc. I never even considered keeping them stock ;) After seeing them though they look pretty good and I imagine they look even better in person. It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like you've also got the chrome bolts, etc. That would be a nice touch. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
You better get the axle nut covers, or some old Geezer will start giving you grief!

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Craig, yes I have the polished Stainless Steel Brake pad bolts (no covers for them except hot toppers) and the rest are chrome covers ($14.95 each) and you will need 11

·
Petrolhead
414 Posts
Polished Calipers

Another option is to polish the stock calipers which I think looks good.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Nice wheel,who makes it?;)

·
Petrolhead
414 Posts
Kaz, in answer to your question.
'Taylormade', an engineering company here in the UK.
Their conversion allows a 240 with the stock rear end. They started out doing a lot of stuff for the V Max Yamaha market and now do the V Rod as well.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Looks like they bought it from Rick's and put their name on it!:2cents

·
Petrolhead
414 Posts
Kaz, I'm sure they make their own products and even machine matching centres so existing rotors can be used.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts