Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if you have noticed any differences between vrod owners vs. other Harley owners ?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Just cruise the V-Twin forum for a while and it becomes obvious.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
For the most part I don't see a big difference in the majority of riders but I have to say that the V-Rod rider is far less likely to buy into the Harley Lifestyle. If another brand comes out with a bigger, better power cruiser then it's far more likely that a V-Rod owner would jump ship than a Fat Boy rider. :2cents:

We tend to ride the V-Rod because it's the best bike in it's particular market segment, traditional HD riders are far more likely to pick their ride based on looks, perception or "mystique". Let's get real, how many people here REALLY think that an Ultra Classic is the best long distance touring bike on the planet or the Sportster is in the least bit "Sport". :rofl2:

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
We havn't thrown the towel in, performance wise. :sinister:

Seriously I don't know, I personally don't know any other V-Rod owners or other make Harley owners yet.

I guess we have different tastes, and want different things from our bikes.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Shoulder Time

When V-Rodders are on the side of the road, they are usually waiting for thier friends on "Real" Harleys.

Ken :ithappen:

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
No belt buckles, no leather booties, no handckerchiefis. Not much of the How do I look infantile stuff. It's never Halloween. Larger skull volumes, more marbles fit in there. Less of the macho crap attitude. The traditional HD guy usually needs either larger attitude than actual balls or if a RUB like most of us they'll get their Harley as an attitude statement while melting his Nautica shirt under a thick $800 leather jacket on 80-90 degree weather. To me it's just the best bike. The demon SPEED, the fun, the science of it, all of this and looking cool (as in not squidish) is nowhere else to be found. I think in general (very) we tend to suffer less internal pains, be more secure, and just able to enjoy. But there's a lot of conservatives here as well.

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
V-rod owners like to go faster than our Harley riding brothers (because we can).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Takes All Kinds

I'm wondering if anyone else gets the same reaction I do. Here is So CA, there seems to be an "us against them" attitude from the traditional harley riders and us VRod'rs. I don't know what the BS is. I thought harley folks were a pretty all-inclusive group... Maybe it's just me, but I get a lot of what I call, glares, whenever I come up on a "traditional" harley rider. It doesn't make sense to me. Harley has produced a bike that performs to a new level of excellence, creates more interest and excitement in riding and moves the company well into the future. Why would you want to resist that??? They need to get over it.... :whack:

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Resistance is futile. They WILL be asimilated. We rule.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Gr8Guy said:
I'm wondering if anyone else gets the same reaction I do. Here is So CA, there seems to be an "us against them" attitude from the traditional harley riders and us VRod'rs. I don't know what the BS is. I thought harley folks were a pretty all-inclusive group... Maybe it's just me, but I get a lot of what I call, glares, whenever I come up on a "traditional" harley rider. It doesn't make sense to me. Harley has produced a bike that performs to a new level of excellence, creates more interest and excitement in riding and moves the company well into the future. Why would you want to resist that??? They need to get over it.... :whack:
Okay, I may ruffle some feathers here, but I was just thinkin' the opposite! I've not had any problems or disrespect from the "traditional" Harley rider. Some may not like my bike, but that's fine. I like many "traditional" Harley's, but not all, and I don't like all V-rod's either.

Most of the lines I've seen being drawn between the "traditional" Harley guys and the V-Rod guys are being drawn by the V-Rod guys. V-Rod, Harley, non-Harley...who cares??? Ride and let ride. Why try to draw lines between us? IMHO, it continues to propagate a lot of BS stereotypes of what various bikers "are."

Just my :2cents:

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
eduarprmd said:
No belt buckles, no leather booties, no handckerchiefis. Not much of the How do I look infantile stuff. It's never Halloween. Larger skull volumes, more marbles fit in there. Less of the macho crap attitude. The traditional HD guy usually needs either larger attitude than actual balls or if a RUB like most of us they'll get their Harley as an attitude statement while melting his Nautica shirt under a thick $800 leather jacket on 80-90 degree weather. To me it's just the best bike. The demon SPEED, the fun, the science of it, all of this and looking cool (as in not squidish) is nowhere else to be found. I think in general (very) we tend to suffer less internal pains, be more secure, and just able to enjoy. But there's a lot of conservatives here as well.

Agreed!

·
Registered
974 Posts
The first and most obvious thing is that many are new to the H-D way of doing things.
Sounds wierd,yes.
But in a regular H-D environment you would not disrespect the motor company by comparing a H-D model to any other bike. The only exception would be a "first generation Indian".
You also would not ask other H-D people about which Jap bike to buy - They probably would not be able to tell you which is faster or handles better because they don't give a crud(I am being nice) which is which.
There are some biker type that do.................
And they are the ones that typically like V-Rods and maybe even own them (like alot of us).
Tech savvy , mechanical advances , water cooling , all newer ideas that many hardcore H-D types find hard to swallow are what we thrive on.
It is my persoanl experience that there are "line-drawers" but there are in colleges,pro sports teams,even computer op systems.That is the spice of life.Not a hindrance. Unless you let it be.We like our scoots.And most importantly,we enjoy the motorcycle experience as a whole.Eventually V-Rod people will be accepted as H-D people and will get the same attitude - or lack of attitude from "old school" riders.
But , Attitude is what H-D is known for.......
Loyalty is what bikers are known for.......(But in the end we are all 2 wheeled
fanatics , aren't we ?
:2cents:
BobT

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Well, seeing how I thought my old Sportster was the shit the kitty covered up in the garden, I got on my V-Rod one leg at a time. Initially, I was shopping for a "big twin" because I thought that was what I really wanted. Well, I am certainly glad I got the V-Rod and as on this writing, in all 200 miles of my experience on my rod, I have gooten far more compliments and thumbs up from soccer moms to traditional Harley guys, and even a group of African American fellas on a porch in "the hood" on the north end of Flint (VERY rough neighborood) raised their 40oz beers to me while I was at a light in front of their home. It's quite the cultural croos section of people in general that give me thumbs up every time I ride it. This is only 200 miles into my V-Rod ownership. I cannot wait to see what summer brings!

I did get some attitudes from some yuppie wanna be's on some $50k+ choppers today though. Heck, these types don;t even like the traditional Harleys and look down on them too. F^%K'em. I am the only one that needs to be pleased with my choice in rides, and I am MORE than happy with this bike. Also, I have yet to see a V-Rod other than mine in the area outside a dealership.

I get the third degree from my softail/Dyna/Sportster/Big Dog riding buddy's about the rod. They all complimented my bike and really studied it over when I showed them, even my one buddy's dad...an old school biker to the bone....he liked and complimented it too. I get the impression that they wanted to get a v-rod but were more worried about what others would think if they got the red headed step child of the Harley lineup. Me? Heck, i put up with all the "It's a chick bike!" comments for five years on my Sporty, so I could give a rats anus about disses and comments. Not to mention the "You need a bigger Harley" stuff too.

To me and many others, it is not WHAT you are riding, it is THAT you are riding. I got more sneers from the crotch rocketeers than the traditional crowd. By the way, all my black leather still works great for this bike too....even my half helmet and chaps. Just my bike changed, not my wardrobe. Does it look goofy??? I don't care. Most people will only see me for a moment anyways! LOL

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
"To me and many others, it is not WHAT you are riding, it is THAT you are riding."...(DungeonWorks)

Couldn't agree more!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts