Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing oil in this thing is a lot harder than on sport bikes... I have race stands for those, but no way would those stands will fit my new V-rod.

What stand or lift would you all recommend for a V-rod (VRSCA if it makes a difference)? I've found a few sites saying the sell race stands that will fit, but they look like my race stands, which don't match the cruiser "anatomy" at all. All the floor jacks I've looked at (automotive) have too high a profile to fit under the frame. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Also for a filter wrench: my HD dealer sells one for $10. I found a "hex" cap wrench at a local parts store for $5 that fit the filter. I got that and it got the new one on... BUT IT WON'T COME OUT OF THE BIKE WHILE THE OIL FILTER IS MOUNTED. So I have a filter wrench cap stuck to my filter until my next oil change. Question: is it worth $10 for the HD wrench? Or will it just get stuck too? I think a generic strap wrench might work well (assuming I can find a lift that works)... I can't fit a metal-banded oil filter wrench in that narrow gap between the frame and the bottom of the engine block. Any tips?

Many thanks!

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
1) Sears quad/bike lift... red (steel) or yellow (aluminum)... fits under my dx (barely)... should have no problem getting under your "A".

2) I think a picture is worth a thousand words on how you got the filter wrench stuck...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to check that sears stand out. Thanks!

It's as hard to describe how the filter cap wrench is stuck as it is to take a good picture of it... I couldn't get a good picture that shows what's going on.

If you are on the left side of the bike looking at the oil filter it is hemmed in by several things. The engine block is to the filter's right and above it as well. The frame is to the left and in front of it. The radiator is to the left of it as well. There are also some kind of cross braces that run from the frame behind the radiator... which ends up being to the left of, and above the oil filter. There are some wires that are run near the bottom of the block that are in the way as well. The only way I can see to get at it is from underneath. And the block and the frame make a very narrow space to get the wrench cap out of. It just won't fit... it's diameter is probably only a few millimeters too big and it is too rigid to squeeze out of the gap.

The HD one is metal so it won't flex at all. That wouldn't matter if its outer diameter was a bit smaller than the one stuck in my bike... but I can't compare them because it's stuck in my bike :)

A good lift would probably let me be able to use a strap wrench in the future...

·
Registered
962 Posts
just done mine on a DX and never used a lift !

drop the two bottom rad housing bolts and pull the bottom of the rad housing forward (nothing needs to be disconnected) this gives you a little more room around the oil filter

i use a strap to remove my filter and you are right you have to get at it from underneath but sitting on the floor is fine , sometimes you can even get it off with your hand ? and you can get your hand in there from underneath.

another tip "don't over tighten the sump plug" it only needs between 20-30 ft ibs.

all i do is pull the bike back onto plank of wood so it lifts the rear wheel off the ground this just gives you a slope so the oil can drain out of the sump.

watch the video on youtube it shows you start to finish without a lift !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That video was a big help, thanks. Kinda stupid that I didn't think to check there first.

Odd that that little board under the rear wheel made such a difference in ground clearance under the front of the block! That was probably the key to easy success. If I can get that to work for me I wouldn't need a lift! I'll try it when I get home this evening.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'll ask again.Why do you waste time loosening the radiator up?
All you need is a socket,an extension and a ratchet for the filter.If it's tight,put a slice of sand paper in the socket.I use a GM transmission pan that slides right under the bike for the oil drain pan.My V-Rods are close to 2 inches lower than stock and I do not need a lift to drop the oil and filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts