Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...i have a 2006 VRSCR with a crappy idle. I went to the GM dealership and got the top engine clean solution....unfortunately its not in an aerosol can anymore, just a bottle. I intended to put it in a spray bottle and hit the intake tracts/injectors from the top. Next up is cleaning the TPS and IAC. Stupid question: i'm assuming you need to pull the bottom base of the air cleaner? I get my service manual today. I'm sure that will answer all my questions, but until then, any tips on doing this or has anyone posted a how-to? Thanks, and yes, i used the search function.
Tim

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Tim, try to run a full tank (or two) of good 91 gas. I bought a 08D last year, low mileage, been sitting too long and had rough idle and hesitation. rode it from vegas to LA and the problem is gone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, got the service manual, removed the power air box, sprayed cleaner on IAC and TPS and down throats....let soak , repeat. Well, you dont actually remove the IAC do ya? Cause that seems to involve removal of throttle body. Any knowledge here?

Second Issue....is the mileage retained within the speedometer or the ECM. THis bike is showing 140 miles (and yes, i cycled the trip button), and i know damn sure it has more than that. Story that came with bike is dude shorted out battery and "blanked" the mileage. Sounds like BS to me. Could a blank speedo been bought off e-bay or from a dealer and installed? Thoughts?
Tim

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
mileage is stored in the speedo if i am not mistaken

·
Live Free Or Die
330 Posts
I had a similar experience: Bought an 06 VRSCR with low miles that sat for a couple of years. I had the same problems and did all of the things that you're doing. The only thing that worked was to take it to a good tuner--stay away from HD dealerships--and within 5 minutes on the dyno I was told that the engine was running way too lean, especially below 4000rpm. Once the map for the A/F ratio was modified the bike now idles steady and has no hesitation what so ever at any rpm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a similar experience: Bought an 06 VRSCR with low miles that sat for a couple of years. I had the same problems and did all of the things that you're doing. The only thing that worked was to take it to a good tuner--stay away from HD dealerships--and within 5 minutes on the dyno I was told that the engine was running way too lean, especially below 4000rpm. Once the map for the A/F ratio was modified the bike now idles steady and has no hesitation what so ever at any rpm.
got done cleaning and still runs the same. I ran out of time but tomorrow i'm going to check the Fuelpak settings and make sure they are correct. The bike does have a lean pop too. Pipe is a V & H 2-1. At least all the throttle body LOOKS nice as i also removed all the accumulated grime. I'm also going to hit it with some S100 cleaner and get out the Mothers and polish this beyotch up.
Tim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone in So Cal (i'm in the 909 Inland Empire) know of a competent tuner who knows V-Rods, as opposed to going to the dealer. I don't wanna go there...
Tim

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Dealer or not,the best thing to do is get a SERT,or the new Master tuner and find someone that knows this tuner.Have the bike tuned on a dyno.
Once the program is changed according to your specific application,your engine will run perfect in all ranges.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer or not,the best thing to do is get a SERT,or the new Master tuner and find someone that knows this tuner.Have the bike tuned on a dyno.
Once the program is changed according to your specific application,your engine will run perfect in all ranges.
so getting it running properly with a V&H Fuelpak isn't viable? I've ran a few tanks of gas thru it...i've thoroughly cleaned the intake tract and IAC, the only thing i haven't done yet is change the plugs. Bike still idles uneven.
Tim

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
so getting it running properly with a V&H Fuelpak isn't viable? I've ran a few tanks of gas thru it...i've thoroughly cleaned the intake tract and IAC, the only thing i haven't done yet is change the plugs. Bike still idles uneven.
Tim
Those things will keep an engine running rich enough to keep problems away.To properly tune a efi engine,the ecm program needs to be changed accordingly.Those interference boxes do not change the ecm program.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts