·
Subluxation Free
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
I dont know the answer to your question, but I have a question of my own, Why do we need another air cooler that wont meet future noise and emission targets ?

good looking bike though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
this is for the people who want a "real" Harley sporty-type bike, not that crappy high-revving liquid-cooled junk that makes power!

·
The Anti-Chrome
872 Posts
Sorry....not my cup of tea....but give me one of these and I'll be more then happy to make room in the garage next to the devil's sister...

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The XR-1200 prototype was shown at some European motorcycle shows to guage enthusiasm. That is all. As far as I know the bike has not been produced. I would reckon that the slow sales of the VRSCR and it's eventual cancellation means the XR-1200 will never be built.

·
Having Fun Yet?
86 Posts
As far as I know, the 1200R has the go ahead for the European market.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
CRAZY CLIVE said:
I dont know the answer to your question, but I have a question of my own, Why do we need another air cooler that wont meet future noise and emission targets ?

good looking bike though.
Is it targeted for overseas markets only? Are their future emissions/noise regulations less stringent? Maybe that is why overseas-only marketing?

·
Gone
545 Posts
nykbob said:
Why would the motor company pull the R from the market, both in the US and abroad, then introduce the XR1200 outside US only? It seems to me the bikes would be targeting the same niche in the market.

Here is a story and a link to the HD UK website on that bike.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/10/13/harley-davidson-xr1200-in-europe-for-spring-2008/
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/...XR1200_minisite/XR1200_popup.jsp?locale=en_GB
I have no idea. Harley built that "same" bike decades ago and it was deemed a failure----back then it was a 1000cc Sportster engine shoved into a small frame with a cafe fairing and race posture. I think it was called the CR1000 (it was during the AMF years).

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
waterwerks said:
Sorry....not my cup of tea....but give me one of these and I'll be more then happy to make room in the garage next to the devil's sister...

:them: +3

·
Registered
922 Posts
waterwerks said:

:them: That Buell is a beauty! Perhaps HD is marketing the XR1200 as a more affordable entry level machine. I'm sure it will be less money than an R. Are those R forks on it? The magazine tester seemed to like it.

"The 1200cc Sportster based machine has sport tuned suspension with inverted 43mm forks and ergonomics designed to fit the average height European rider. The wide handlebars work with semi-rearset footrests to give you an upright yet sporty riding position. It also has ample cornering clearance, which is a welcome addition to any HD machine"

Depending on the price it may do well. The article said it was going to be marketed in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Perhaps a lower tech aircooled bike with a sportster price tag will have a chance against whats already being sold in that area of the world.

·
The Engineer
316 Posts
As soon as they make a naked version of the 1125R I'm there waving cash.

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
The XR1200 is being sold in Europe which is causing some concern in the division of Harley lines. A US line, and a European Line. A lot of you probably know that there are some great bikes across the Ocean that will never see the US. Wonder what the rake is on the front for the XR1200?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
It is cool looking, and nice to see HD trying different venues, but I would stick to my Street Rod if that Sportster was ever sold over here.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
I like the wheels and rotors but the size is not right. needs 17's for more rubber options.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Eh, an eighteen is a more forgiving wheel on the street. There is too little gyroscopic effect in a seventeen inch wheel sometimes and it can get you in trouble. A touch too much brake and, wham, you're down. Most of us don't have the skills or feel of a Matt Mladin to use that capability. If your honest with yourself the 18 works better on public roads spotted with cow flop, transmission oil spills, blind motorists and slick man hole covers.
As for rubber look carefully, most sporting tires offer an 18 inch size. They won't shown in those CrapCorral ( Chaparral ) ads in the back of the magazines but peruse the Tucker Rockey catalog or the manufacturer's websites carefully and you will be surprised the tires sold in that size. BMW for example sold quite a few models with 18 inch front or rear wheels that are supported by the usual suspects like Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop or Metzler. Do you really need a Z rated tire on a Sportster? Sheesh!
Is the XR-1200 on sale in Europe now?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts