·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to continue this one...

vilzrod

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:32 pm
------------------

is the stage 2 simply plug and play?? if I lose the factory tail and rear signal this is a direct replacement with NO mods to the wiring??
yes, the Stage 2 light is totally plug-and-play... no mods needed for the wiring.

If it takes you more than 10 minutes to install, you drank the case of beer first. :D

·
Hooligan
416 Posts
So THATS why it took so long!

Doc, you forgot to add that they are DAMN bright! I mean honestly, it's a frickin' VRod, can't have no "incandesent" bulbs! Now for an HID kit...:diablo:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Not all of them install in 10 minutes! ;) :diablo:

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahhhh, minor correction...

it should be a 5 minute install, unless your friendly local dealer has previously amputated all your rear harness plugs for no aparrent reason :D

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
:diablo:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
DAM I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!:eek:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have been considering the taillight and the turn signals, but he's expensive. I put a Kuryakyn Panacea on my wife's Low Rider at half the price.

For those that have them do any of you live in a state with state inspections. I live in VA and I am not sure if the inspector would give me a hard time or not, about them. I already have a set of Hyper lights, (two sets of 8 LEDs) next to the license plate. Yes I kept my plate in the stock location, and yes it on that plastic thing too. But I believe that you can't have enough light behind you on a motorcycle.

Just wondering thanks,

Dave

·
MARK
644 Posts
I do state inspections for motorcycles and any light on the vehicle must work and not have any white showing through them and if you remove the "dogs ass" you fail the inspection those side reflectors are part of the test. there is no problem with rear lights beinng too bright as long as they are not white lights.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Cool thanks Worm, I looked at Virginia's inspection code and couldn't find anything regarding bright lights but I think I remembered seeing something about bulbs not being more than 15 watts. But that maybe some old code I was thinking about, I know car taillights are very bright, when not in stop light mode.

I still think cops might want to talk to you about them anyway, especially at night. I have to admit that for the most part cops have left me alone, they mainly watch the crotch rockets.

But I am still seriously considering them, I don't do that much night riding but anything that would help not getting run over would be worth it.

Thanks,

Dave

·
MARK
644 Posts
anything that gets you noticed at night is good as long as its not dangerous to others. I have laser lights mounted above my valve covers they throw off a blue halo arround my bike and it gets me noticed

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
VA V-Rod said:
I have been considering the taillight and the turn signals, but he's expensive. I put a Kuryakyn Panacea on my wife's Low Rider at half the price.

For those that have them do any of you live in a state with state inspections. I live in VA and I am not sure if the inspector would give me a hard time or not, about them. I already have a set of Hyper lights, (two sets of 8 LEDs) next to the license plate. Yes I kept my plate in the stock location, and yes it on that plastic thing too. But I believe that you can't have enough light behind you on a motorcycle.

Just wondering thanks,

Dave
Hey Dave,

Comparing my V-Rod light to the Kuryakyn piece is like comparing a V-Rod to a Honda Shadow.

My lights are custom built into modified H-D V-Rod light housings, sealed up, and then finished off with OEM connectors for a simple plug in installation. Only the best components go into them.

All assembly is done here in Oakland, CA... no Asian factory garbage.

You should be perfectly fine with the Stage 2 light with pass-through connectors so you can run it with outboard turn signals.

I've never heard of any laws regarding too bright of a taillight, but I suspect that if you mounted a set of Hella driving lights with red lenses on the back of your bike, you may get hassled :)

Stock 1157, dual filament bulbs are 21w on brake light and so is an 1156... most cars have at least 4 of them.

You're not going to get pulled over because my light is too bright.

My goal is to make bikes as visible as possible utilizing the stock lights.

Please let me know if you have any other questions that I can answer!

-Joe

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
How much for Purchase price and to ship to Australia? This is the one that includes the turn signals, front and rear.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Karl Scott said:
How much for Purchase price and to ship to Australia? This is the one that includes the turn signals, front and rear.
Send me an email... I'll look into the shipping right now... I will need a zip code too

-Joe

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Done!

·
Registered
601 Posts
OK here is what I wrote to VA State Police who run the inspections stations:

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a LED taillight for my motorcycle and the company who makes the light has an option of two small flashing strobe LEDs in the corners. I was wondering if this is legal to have the two small strobes on a motorcycle taillight. Here is the web page and in the right upper corner is an example of the light I am considering purchasing, with the strobes: http://www.heavycycles.com/catalog/vrod.html
<http://www.heavycycles.com/catalog/vrod.html> they are not as bright as the stoplight and are used to attract attention from drivers that might not be pay full attention or on a cell phone. I am mainly look to get the light because it's bright and the turn signal are also indicated on the edge of the tail light as well as the turn signal them selves. As for the strobes, they flash about once a second and go out when the brake light is applied.

Thanks for your time in answering this, I am always trying to improve my visibility on the motorcycle and hope someday Virginia will make it illegal to talk on a cell phone and drive because that is the worst thing that I have seen in Northern Virginia that distracts drivers. I have already had a motorcycle friend rear end by a guy on a cell phone at a traffic light and would like this not to happen to me.

Thanks again,

Dave

Their response:

In order for the lights you are speaking of to be legal in Virginia, they would have to be labeled either "SAE" or "DOT" approved on them, or the manufacturer would have to submit them to the Department of State Police, along with an independent laboratory analysis, for approval. If you have additional questions, you may contact this office at (804) 378-3478.

Captain D. W. Robertson
Safety Officer

Oh well wasn't much of an answer, I think to be on the safe side if I do get them they will be without the strobes.

Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got one if his LED lights and I love it~! The price is high, but the quality is great and I feel safer riding at night. If it helps people see me, then it's well worth it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I just recieved my Stage 2 light from Joe.

I work in the aviation industry where quality and attention to detail is a matter of life and death.

I must say that this light is a work of art and is of the quality that I would expect to have on one of our own aircraft.

Thanks Joe!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks Guys,

This is the type of stuff I hoping to hear. I plan on buying the light and turn signal combo, the end of this month. Sounds like this is a very good quality product.

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts