1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I think the dealers and we as a group have more to do with that then Harley does. Look at the bikes here and see how much of the Harley stuff this group really buys. I think for the most part the market is strong but Harley has failed to capture the needs of the vrsc owner and because of that dealers are slow to stock vrsc parts. They aren't going to make what doesn't sell well. And honestly of the 15 new v-rod parts they made this year I couldn't see myself getting any of them.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Uhhhh.........they had numerous accessories for '02 - '05 but nobody was buying them. Soooooo........no sales means no new products, simple business economics. It's kinda good though, I'm getting all sorts of parts for cheap right now, just picked up a red inferno flame paint set for $650, which had an MSRP of about $2,700.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
max is right when saying why make what's not gonna sell. I think the only harley part I've bought is the screamin eagle air filter, I dunno maybe if they had more stuff I'd think of buying it through harley but most likely no just because you can get it cheaper through aftermarket dealers. so if they did make more stuff it would probably sit on the shelves collecting dust IMO

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max said:
...honestly of the 15 new v-rod parts they made this year I couldn't see myself getting any of them.
Max...in a round-about way you just re-enforced my point. Thank you.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man...I totally disagree with all of you!!! Last year my H-D parts purchases was over $3,000! This year H-D and aftermarket so far is $2,500.

And according to a recently new Thread here: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70753

This guy has a number of requests of custom made parts desired!

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
devlpr said:
Man...I totally disagree with all of you!!! Last year my H-D parts purchases was over $3,000! This year H-D and aftermarket so far is $2,500.

And according to a recently new Thread here: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70753

This guy has a number of requests of custom made parts desired!

yes but if your last year parts list was bought from somewhere other than a harley dealer you'd have certainly saved some money. and on the other thread that guy is willing to start making parts for the V because another member told him about the lack of parts and most of the requests for parts also say "at a resonable price" I do agree it would be nice to walk into a dealership and see more than a wall no bigger than a locker of parts for the V but I'm sure the price tags on all the stuff would be more than I want to pay, but then again I'm a cheap ass :D

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lakedrunk said:
yes but if your last year parts list was bought from somewhere other than a harley dealer you'd have certainly saved some money. and on the other thread that guy is willing to start making parts for the V because another member told him about the lack of parts and most of the requests for parts also say "at a resonable price" I do agree it would be nice to walk into a dealership and see more than a wall no bigger than a locker of parts for the V but I'm sure the price tags on all the stuff would be more than I want to pay, but then again I'm a cheap ass :D
??? all my H-D parts, this year and last, have been purchased at a dealership. Most of them were ordered through the catelog at the dealership.

???

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
devlpr said:
??? all my H-D parts, this year and last, have been purchased at a dealership. Most of them were ordered through the catelog at the dealership.

???

yes I realize that, I'm just saying I wouldn't buy from a dealer when I can get things cheaper somewhere else. I think the dealerships stick it to ya alittle too much.

but with that said I for one am part of the problem they don't have more parts because if I would start buying more and others would buy more from the dealerships they might start making new stuff for the V. but again I'm a cheap ass that doesn't want to spend too much money just because it came from the dealership :D

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
devlpr said:

???

Your not taking into consideration that you may not be the norm. I haven't purchased an accessory part from a dealer in three years. I buy service items only. When you start looking at pictures in the gallery and see how many actual Harley acc parts you see I think the number is very small considering the amount of money being spent. The last good seller they came up with IMHO was the LED tail light which was without a doubt a copy of a light that heavycycles had been making for 4 years when they decided to make one.

Most dealers these days don't even have a vrsc wall even though the DX is a great seller they just don't sell many vrsc parts. I think much of it boils down to a different market. I'm sure that internet sales are good for vrsc parts because IMHO the v-rod owner in general is a more technical based person and knows that he can save 20% plus the cost of the tax pays the shipping so dealers like Hale's and others sell a great deal of vrsc parts. But my local dealer I doubt sells any. When we purchased Jeannie's 03 bike I asked them to cut me a break if I purchased the pipes from them since I could buy them online at 20% off, there answer was then buy them online. So I did, they could have made the money but they would rather make nothing then only make 30% on the pipes. It is that mind set that keeps many of us from giving the local dealers anything.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I like being able to have nothing to spend my money on...I get to keep it a little longer!!

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Max said:
Your not taking into consideration that you may not be the norm. I haven't purchased an accessory part from a dealer in three years. I buy service items only. When you start looking at pictures in the gallery and see how many actual Harley acc parts you see I think the number is very small considering the amount of money being spent. The last good seller they came up with IMHO was the LED tail light which was without a doubt a copy of a light that heavycycles had been making for 4 years when they decided to make one.

Most dealers these days don't even have a vrsc wall even though the DX is a great seller they just don't sell many vrsc parts. I think much of it boils down to a different market. I'm sure that internet sales are good for vrsc parts because IMHO the v-rod owner in general is a more technical based person and knows that he can save 20% plus the cost of the tax pays the shipping so dealers like Hale's and others sell a great deal of vrsc parts. But my local dealer I doubt sells any. When we purchased Jeannie's 03 bike I asked them to cut me a break if I purchased the pipes from them since I could buy them online at 20% off, there answer was then buy them online. So I did, they could have made the money but they would rather make nothing then only make 30% on the pipes. It is that mind set that keeps many of us from giving the local dealers anything.

Couldn't agree more.

I brought my HD order to my local Dealer and asked if he could save me 20%. Mind you this order was for 2 bikes and lets just say it was close to 20K in Chrome! He said he couldn't do it. I then went to Chicago HD and talked with a good sales guy ( Steve ). Not only did he set me up with the 20% he told me to give him my resale cert and he could set me up with an account and give me 25% off!!!! Sure is nice pulling into the local dealer for the small items now, occasional shirt, bolts etc and having the sales guys come running in asking who's SICK v-rod is out there:hidesbeh:

·
Revolution02
3,978 Posts
Who really cares anyways, the moco is way over priced for the china parts anyways. Hell a guy cant even find a shirt with anything to do with a v-rod!
It really just helps the small guys sell the parts we all like anyways!

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
I like being able to have nothing to spend my money on...I get to keep it a little longer!!
:them: :them: :them:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
my pussy hurts...

there are plenty of parts for your v-rod from HD if you want to keep it factory...what do you want to moco to make that they haven't already made a chrome version of?

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
V-Kit said:
my pussy hurts...
I don't know why but that made me laugh :laugh: and I don't even uderstand why you said it

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
lakedrunk said:
and I don't even uderstand why you said it
because of all the bitching around here lately about being left out by the moco. there has been a lot of sore pussies around here lately...

people should look at the big picture, we are a VERY small part of HD sales and many of us go aftermarket for our parts and accessories. from a business stand point it doesn't make sense to stock the shelves with parts that are much harder to move than your generic air-head parts.

however IMO, the MoCo has made basically everything one could want to add on for the v-rod (though their prices are high, but that's true across the board). the only thing else i'd like to see is a chrome clamshell offered but it's really not a big deal (i'll get 'r done myself).

i mean, we've got aftermarket HD wheels, headlights, controls, brakes rotors, brake calipers, bolt covers, engine covers, custom paint sets, 10 or more different seats, levers, grips, footpegs, handlebars, wide tire kits, shorty front fenders, tripple trees, fork sliders, chrome fuel cell covers, belt gaurds, pulleys, chin fairing, voltage regulator...and on and on and on and on and on

the new v-rods come with the wide tire, 1250cc engine, brembo brakes, abs, slipper clutch...and on and on

i guess you can't please everyone though

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
and another thing...if you think we get left out of the aftermarket go look at the limited supply of metric cruiser parts (which the v-rod sales numbers are much closer to than your classic big twin HD) and see if you still feel the same way.

IMO, we've got it good! :cheers: :thumb:

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
V-Kit said:
because of all the bitching around here lately about being left out by the moco. there has been a lot of sore pussies around here lately...

people should look at the big picture, we are a VERY small part of HD sales and many of us go aftermarket for our parts and accessories. from a business stand point it doesn't make sense to stock the shelves with parts that are much harder to move than your generic air-head parts.

however IMO, the MoCo has made basically everything one could want to add on for the v-rod (though their prices are high, but that's true across the board). the only thing else i'd like to see is a chrome clamshell offered but it's really not a big deal (i'll get 'r done myself).

i mean, we've got aftermarket HD wheels, headlights, controls, brakes rotors, brake calipers, bolt covers, engine covers, custom paint sets, 10 or more different seats, levers, grips, footpegs, handlebars, wide tire kits, shorty front fenders, tripple trees, fork sliders, chrome fuel cell covers, belt gaurds, pulleys, chin fairing, voltage regulator...and on and on and on and on and on

the new v-rods come with the wide tire, 1250cc engine, brembo brakes, abs, slipper clutch...and on and on

i guess you can't please everyone though
:them: The only dumb thing the MOCO did in my opinion was the road winder wheels, cool wheels but they did not offer a matching pulley. No wonder they had to blow them out for less than half price.

·
DuPage County
419 Posts
Most of the accessories for the V-Rod are goofy "105th Anniversary" crap. Like a 105th anniversary flag set...Lame.

I would say the actual accessory count is more like '3' rather than '15'.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts