Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mt.Washington 2008
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so about 2000 k ago i had the whole front end rebuilt bcz the front tire was wearing only on the left side. About 300 miles ago i had the right fork rebuilt bcz it just stopped working. Now after about another 300 miles i noticed my front tire is wearing again on the left side. I am getting very tired of a bike with only 13000 miles on it. Does anyone have a cure or a recall or a fix. These tires are not cheap and im over my warranty !!!!!!!! really WTF ?????

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
The cause is the Dunlop tires not your suspension. Inflate the front tire to 39-40 lbs and it will stop cupping on the left side OR replace the tire with a AVON Cobra or a Metzler me880.

Many posts here regarding this problem. Use search and be prepared fro a night or reading.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
It Takes Two to Tango

Its because your rear wheel is misaligned.

I re-aligned my rear wheel 10,000 miles ago by adding a 0.040" shim between the right-side cam and anvil. I very carefully did an alignment to determine that 0.040" was the correction needed for my bike.

I believe that the radial slop inherent in the axle-to-cam fit is at least partly responsible for the misalignment. I haven't measured the cam offset on each side of the axle to verify, but the results are clear to me. Now that I've made the alignment correction my front tire is wearing evenly and I can release my handlebar without drifting hard to the right. I still run Dunlops.

Ask your dealership to do a string alignment. My guess is that your rear wheel is pointing left and the axle needs to be pulled back on the right side around 0.040" too.

·
Mt.Washington 2008
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its cause the camber in the road that makes your tyre wear.
Im sorry FLEX400, i am gonna call BS on that theory only bcz i have lived in the northeast of the states and had the same issue as down in the southeast. There is a bigger problem and i am smart enough to blame it on the road. there is a bad issue with these bikes and i know of a few of the guys on the site have had this issue. i have maybe 1000 miles on a tire that should last 3-4000 k! No? but i appreciate your input and will take anyone elses bcz this of course will cost me HD and over :broke:

·
Registered
962 Posts
we get the cupping on the same side as you guys and we drive on the other side of the road so its nothing to do with road camber !

Dunlops get it bad tho , Avons wear much better.

·
Registered
600 Posts
5k and my Front Dunlop is shot. Replace rear with an ME880XXL due to nail back in the spring. Guess i'll be buying a Metz for the front very soon.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
we get the cupping on the same side as you guys and we drive on the other side of the road so its nothing to do with road camber !

Dunlops get it bad tho , Avons wear much better.

Although there is merit to Flex's theory and it can cause uneven wear, it is not the main issue. Dunlops are not the best for one and many issues can arise from riding, hitting bumps, wheelies, hard cornering, hard braking, ect., ect.. The front end has many moving parts, seals and alignments that nobody maintains properly. Even brand new, 1 good pothole or bump can throw things off. There is also a right side list with the heavy stock exhaust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts