Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a clutch bleeder but I wanted to replace the fluid in my clutch.
I first pulled off the actuator to make sure everything looked OK.
I then removed all the old from the master cylinder.
I loosened the bleeder to allow fluid from the line to drain out.
I still have not reinstalled the clutch actuator.
I put in new fluid and squeeze clutch dirty fluid comes and then fluid turns blue.
I put everything back together and the clutch pull is now effortless.
This can't be right. It appears that there is little to no pressure in the line.

What did I do wrong?

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
You really need a bleeder, man. You have air in the line somewhere.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The clutch on this bike is a system you do not want to introduce air into. If you don't have a bleeder you can bleed it the old fashioned way and keep adding fluid and bleeding the set screw on the slave but do not ever drain all the fluid out and just put more in. It is going to take you a while to get all the air back out of this system the way you did it.

If you have the master full then start off by pumping slowly the clutch lever about one hundred times. You should start to feel just a little resistance near the end of the 100 cycles. Hold it down and bleed the air. Repeat this until you have what feels like a decent clutch, but your not done because after a few minutes of sitting you will have no clutch again because you have air pockets trapped in the lines. So when you get to a point you think you have fair clutch, remove the slave and force the piston back all the way manually. Re-install it and start pumping again. I can get a brand new line bled in a matter of minutes but I have done this on cars so many years I know just how to do it. Again for anyone reading do not ever drain this system unless your ready to spend some time getting all the air that your going to introduce in the system back out.

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed.
I must have had some air in the line before because this is the best the pull has ever felt.

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
AHHHHH clutch is good lol

·
Registered
531 Posts
myneed4speed said:
Can I just go out and get one of those cheap ones at the Auto Parts store?

I bought a vacuum bleeder called a Mighty vac - comes with several adapters to fit over zerk fittings, in holes etc.. Used it multiple times with no troubles. It was only 19 or 29 bucks...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts