Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of post on coolant leaks, but I didn't find one that offers info on my problem......
I topped up the coolant to the full, I bled the line removing air using the bleeder valvle in the air box.......
I did all this in the fall (oct) when I put the bike away for the winter.
The bike has not moved since Oct, and I have puddle of coolant under my bike........WTF...... Is it possible that there is still air in the line?
Any info, greatly appreciated

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Did you over fill it?

I have seen this happen.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I filled the over flo bottle to the full line, then did the bleeder thing

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you run the bike to check for leaks? Is it a wet puddle (fresh) or gummy? Too many things could have happened, over filled, spilled the coolant, cracked nipple on your overflow, leaking clamp.... Start it up, get it to operating temp and check for leaks. Start at the highest point possible and work your way down. If you dont do the dye/light mehod, try using a clean paper towel and run it over all of coolant system until you find leak. They can very tough to find, I hope you dont have a pinhole in your radiator like I did, it is a PITA to work on....

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I filled the over flo bottle to the full line, then did the bleeder thing
You have to fill the system at the filler cap under the air box.The plastic tank is just for recovery for when the cap blows off pressure.The recovery tank is not where you check the systems coolant level.The cold fill line is so that when the pressure releases from the filler cap,it doesn't spill on the earth.These recovery tanks save big motorcycle and auto companys a $5 fine per unit.

These motorcycles will leak coolant sitting still almost the same as any automobile engine will,more on the Revo's cooling system because of the worm drive clamps.Most auto's have spring clamps that will keep a constant pressure on the hose as the rubber wears and sets in.The Revo needs a nut driver on the clamp to take up the slop.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great info

i shall look for the leak once i put my battery back in

thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Hoses shrink and allow the hose clamps to loosen. Deep cold worsens this. We always had "cold coolant leaks" on heavy trucks in the winter when I was a driver. I little elbow grease with a screwdriver usually solves the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts