Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching ebay but if anyone has or comes across the engine guard for an 06-07 VRSCR Street Rod kindly give me a shout. Might be able to pick this heavy basterd up if it's not all the way on the ground. Save a $55 clutch lever too!:banghead:

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm told here that the R is the ugly sister of the Vee's, and only 06-07 R guards will fit.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Keep searching - all things come to those that wait.

Flyday58 yes, that's true only the VRSCR guard will fit. You could fit other guards but you may have to cut the radiator shroud to get the attachment to the frame downtube. Make life easy on yourself - get the VRSCR guard - it fits PERFECTLY does not require chopping up the shrouds, does not have the big circle to clear fwd controls that are non existent on the R bike and the guard itself is as small as it can be and still provides great protection. Proven by me (for one) here, tested down on each side of the bike (plus a handy place for hwy pegs and LED running lights) Have you had a H-D dealer do a dealer net search for you ? They found mine 1000 miles away $ 300 hiding at a dealer in Liberal, KS of all places. :blahblah: :D

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flyday58 yes, that's true only the VRSCR guard will fit. You could fit other guards but you may have to cut the radiator shroud to get the attachment to the frame downtube. Make life easy on yourself - get the VRSCR guard - it fits PERFECTLY does not require chopping up the shrouds, does not have the big circle to clear fwd controls that are non existent on the R bike and the guard itself is as small as it can be and still provides great protection. Proven by me (for one) here, tested down on each side of the bike (plus a handy place for hwy pegs and LED running lights) Have you had a H-D dealer do a dealer net search for you ? They found mine 1000 miles away $ 300 hiding at a dealer in Liberal, KS of all places. :blahblah: :D
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, R guards are damn thin on the ground (hard to find); I did call the HD boys in El Paso and got them to look based on a post I read either by you or someone else but they found nada. Member deltaflash has a set that's missing half the clamp that holds it together, he's gonna send some pics of it to see if I can make it work.

This thing is so top-heavy, without the guards when I dumped it it layed all the way over horizontal; it was on gravel and there was just no way to get it back up, just kept scooching on the dirt and rocks and messing up the radiator shroud. I had a 800-pound Yamaha Venture I dumped twice; the guards kept it from going all the way over and I was able to use the little-girl Harley lift to get it back up. So yeah, really want this guard.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Buy em' from Deltaflash if he's got the real R guards - NEVER look a gift horse in the mouth (for long anyway :) we here can always find you a clamp that will work ! Sometimes you just gotta piece things together, it takes time but it will happen for those with good Karma. I've got the parts list for the R guards so let me know what you're missing - the P/N can be searched and see what we find.

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mucho abligedos! Just waiting to hear from D-flash.

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm curious. You "dumped" your R once and your other bike twice. How did it happen, slow speed turns, sand or gravel? Knock on wood, I've never dropped my bike. Got the guards in case it fell why I'm working on it or if a blind cager clipped it in a parking lot. Good luck finding the harley made R Guards.
Each case it was slow or "no" speed drops. The Yamaha Venture hit the ground the first time in my driveway. I was sitting on it getting ready to pull out when I remembered I didn't have my wallet. Thought the side stand was still down but didn't look. Clunk.

Second time was after moving to the mountains in NM. We live 5 miles up a gravel forest road. Went down the hill and wasn't a mile away when I decided the weather wasn't going to cooperate. Lots of prairie dog holes hidden in the grass out here. When I went into the grass to make the uey the front tire dropped in one. Clunk.

The V-Rod stayed on the gravel the whole time but was again attempting to make a uey after making a short functional test run of my new slipper clutch. I had made the turn with my Honda several times so felt pretty sure of doing it. That's when I discovered the short side-to-side throw of the steering on this bike. It hit the stop real quick as I leaned slightly to turn around, my foot started slipping in the gravel, and all that weight up top just took it to the ground.

Without the engine guard the bike was laying perfectly horizontal. And in the gravel every time I tried to get it up it just skittered along the ground doing more cosmetic damage and busting off the end of the $60 clutch lever. The guard would have kept it from going all the way over and I probably could have gotten it back up. We're a little remote so waited a while before some peeps on 4-wheelers came by and helped me.

So that's the deal.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I guess I've got it good here living on the main roads.
The Harley Engine guards for the D I have were a EZ part to order.
Good luck finding a set you can use for the R.
I figured a good idea in case I screw up, there's a good chance the bike wont get dinged up too much from a drop.
Mine match the Black Frame.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
To me First I got hit by a young chick backing up in a parking lot looking at her phone instead of mirrors, yea she got her little A$$ yelled at, a nice ticket from the cop and a few grand payout for me. Just put the guards on, rode the bike away. Second overshot a toll booth due to slippery surface, tried to boot it back 5 feet to pay the attendant, right foot slid out, slow drop to the asphalt, no damage. Won't forget my e pass next time. It's not if, it's when out there in the real world. Steve - I'm a former Masshole, stevemcgov. :)

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent reasons all. I'll keep looking. Had a pm from a member with a set two months back but haven't heard any more from him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts