Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying at a 06 with a non-intercooled Trask kit. It has a SERT as well. The motor has 12K. The kit was installed at 9K. The dealer that's selling it is saying it dynoed at over 150 hp and over 100 ft lbs. He says that it has no flat spots or hesitation issues. His rock bottom number is 10K. Book value is a little over $9K.

What can i do to check the motor and turbo for abuse?

What else should I look for?

Do you think 10K is a good price?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Great price. The bike is worth $9k and the turbo is worth $3k. Tell them to through in the service agreement and take it home.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

If the guy truly knows what he has to sell consider yourself lucky to get it for 10. IMO, anything less is gravy.

The turbo alone, new, would have been 5 grand and you have to know the bike without the turbo is worth more than 5.

If they'll let you, take it for a ride and see how it runs.

My guess is you won't be able to take the grin off of your face when you get back.

Make sure to ask them if they have the Race Tuner from the prior owner.

·
Back in Black
2,573 Posts
if Pats says it's a good deal it is. He would know. Heck you better buy it before he does.
Sounds like a good deal. Just check to see what others are selling for then see if the turbo extra is worth it to ya. It will be!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys!

I did test ride it and it runs great. The deal also includes a 30 day LIMITED warranty, the turbo map CD, SERT cable, and service manual.

There's three things that I noticed that may be potential issues.

1. It looks like it runs on the rich side. The inside of the pipe has typical carbon build-up but it seems to be moist, not dry. To clarify, it's not wet or dry, but somewherein between.

2. When you shut it down, you hear the noticable click noise. It's not coming from the turbo, it more towards the rear of the engine. It sorta sounds like a starter gear engaging.

3. The front end needs work. If you hold the front brake on and push on the front forks, it clunks on the down side and upside.

Any thoughts on these issues?

I appreceiate the help. This would be my first V-Rod, so i'm not too familiar with typical issues they may have.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
It better run rich or you'll be buying a new motor. Rich is good, lean is bad, very bad w/a turbo. Think meltdown.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Do a search on the front end clunk. You might need to replace the steering head bearing and at the very least adjust the fallaway. I don't recall specifically, but I believe there was a modified steering head bearing put out some time ago- maybe '06-07 or so. Not sure if it was a recall item or a service bulletin though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts