Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my first attempt at wrapping my exhaust went terrible.
On my second attempt, I just want to know if I can take these springs off and wrap the exhaust then put them back on, as I tried to feed the wrap under them and it was a huge headache. Will the exhaust go back together okay if I take all four springs off.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can take the springs off. It won't hurt anything.
However, I don't see the purpose in wrapping the exhaust. It doesn't help much, and it will rust underneath really bad because it holds moisture.
If you're trying to restore the finish, a nice high temp paint would do better in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, I didn't realise the negative effects of wrapping it. Is having it sprayed a pricey job? The bike is second hand so the exhaust isn't in mint condition, has a couple dents in it. It's also a bit discolored and really ruins the bikes image, thought wrapping it would help insulate it and at the same time make it look cooler.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Thanks man, I didn't realise the negative effects of wrapping it. Is having it sprayed a pricey job? The bike is second hand so the exhaust isn't in mint condition, has a couple dents in it. It's also a bit discolored and really ruins the bikes image, thought wrapping it would help insulate it and at the same time make it look cooler.
Not just rust. The holding in of the heat seems to stress the metal. Many who have wrapped their pipes have suffered cracks and broken pipes close to the cyl head.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If it's in really bad shape, and you're cost sensitive, you could try a Danmoto aftermarket exhaust. I think they're only a few hundred.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
Thanks man, I didn't realize the negative effects of wrapping it. Is having it sprayed a pricey job? The bike is second hand so the exhaust isn't in mint condition, has a couple dents in it. It's also a bit discolored and really ruins the bikes image, thought wrapping it would help insulate it and at the same time make it look cooler.

Since the pipe is already off the bike,VHT Paint in a rattle can is your cheap way out.

At least until you decide to change exhausts.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
Wrapping the pipes is really sort of a bad idea for exactly the reasons above.

My personal preference is Cerakote V-171 Ceramic Turbine Coat-- it looks good, and cuts down on the exhaust heat significantly-- especially if you put heat shields back on over it. To do it right, you'd need to find somewhere that could bead blast the old finish off and then kiln dry a new thermal ceramic coating on it.

Honestly, it might be cheaper to just try to find a lightly used exhaust here on the forum.

R.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your input has been super appreciated guys, looks like I'm going to attempt to spray (the exhaust was such a pain to get off , getting to the header bolt almost made me break down in tears?)

Only problem is my heat shields are welded to my exhaust... What should I do in this situation? Neatly tape over it before I paint?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I agree with the high temp paint idea. If this exhaust has a dent or imperfection then spending money on ceramic coat is not going to fix the dent. Ceramic coat is the cats meow but high temp paint works very well and is super easy to do, and cheap. I would just paint the heat shields, they are part of the pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, I didn't realise how relatively cheap ceramic coating was so that has become an option for me, the damage To my exhaust isn't anything too bad, the bottom of it (which is unseen) has been scraped by the previous owner and there's a thumb print sized dent I put it in somehow that is visible (more so to me because I'm the peanut that put it there) would it be worth coating it still?

Thanks fellas.

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Price coating?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had mine done for around $200 Can. or so. It's been a while so I can't remember exactly. It looks great and is durable. If the marks and dents are not too bad then go for it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you get it ceramic coated? Local shop I want to use charges $20 per foot to help give anyone else an idea on pricing.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
If you get it ceramic coated-- kiln dried seems to be more durable than air dried. At least that's been my experience. I think it has to do with the type of ceramic coat used.

R.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts