Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that selling out right is always better but was hoping trade in would be better than this. I've got my eye on a 08 NightRod with only 4k miles at the local dealer. Its got some add ons, chrome, etc so asking price is 12 but they only want to give me 6500 on mine ! My 03 has 14k miles with custom painted airbox, Kury pegs and grips, Bub pipes, 5gal UE tank, and Gorby wheels, and Sundowner seat with PC3 and dyno tuned. Is it that bad ?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I tried to trade for a Night Rod this spring. They offered me 6,000................ :soapbox:

The Night Rod is still sitting there unsold.:angeldev:

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
I just called on a 03 an the guy wants 6500 with 25000 miles.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
when it comes to "customized" motorbikes, the sum of the parts is always greater than the whole. Put the bike back to stock, sell off the goodies, then make the trade. Your goodies add nothing to the trade in price.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
yeah, what he said. people always think all these extras that they're in love with will get them a ton of cash on resale. they're worth exactly zilch.

i'm getting ready to sell mine - i'll leave a couple custom things on that are a hassle to remove and a couple others just to set it apart from the pack, but that's it.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Trade value on a decent 03 is 6250 right now.
I did not buy mine to resell,but I'll keep it forever before I sell a bike that should be worth 12,5,that is valued at 8,5,but will only bring wholesale at around 45 or so.
Value on my 04 Heritage is around 12 retail.I doubt I'd get offers any higher than 8 if I were to advertise it for sale.

3 yo still under factory warranty automobiles are the vehicles holding a nice high value nowadays.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
yeah, what he said. people always think all these extras that they're in love with will get them a ton of cash on resale. they're worth exactly zilch.

i'm getting ready to sell mine - i'll leave a couple custom things on that are a hassle to remove and a couple others just to set it apart from the pack, but that's it.
I've always been told to ask 25% of what I paid for most added extras.Even this is tough to get nowadays.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
You will get the same for a stock cycle. In fact might be more stock! I would be looking for all original on an 02-03. I feel the factory pipes are sweet looking. Spend a day and put most of the stock stuff back on. You could sell the 5 gal tank for $250 easy! You don't realize how small the 3.7 is till you ride with it. Sundowner at least $150 etc. Custom paint is like a fitted suit, only fits you just right. Takes luck to find someone who wants it as much as you.

Nothing personal but factory is fixed by anyone cause it's in the book, custom is more involved and how do you know it was done right?

Good luck in your sale/exchange.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I know that selling out right is always better but was hoping trade in would be better than this. I've got my eye on a 08 NightRod with only 4k miles at the local dealer. Its got some add ons, chrome, etc so asking price is 12 but they only want to give me 6500 on mine ! My 03 has 14k miles with custom painted airbox, Kury pegs and grips, Bub pipes, 5gal UE tank, and Gorby wheels, and Sundowner seat with PC3 and dyno tuned. Is it that bad ?
Yeah, my local dealer was around the same trade-in value for an 06D. I walked. I'd rather keep and buy a second bike than get raked over the coals.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't need a second bike but..........

If I had the cash, I'd buy your bike in a second for what they're offering you on a trade in and probably more. I often wonder what the percentage is of bikers that buy a motorcycle and don't start sinking money into it for extras like pipes, tunes, wheels and chrome accessories? Even when I was strapped for funds somehow I came up with the coins to add something to my bike but I do agree that you never seem to get that money back in a trade or even selling it outright.
Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts