Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a cost effective way to transport my bike and my vehicle at the same time. While trying to find a cheap trailer to two my DX I came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...torcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3184wt_939

Obviously I have concerns about if this would actually work, so I would like to know what you think.

The site says you need to disconnect your drive chain, since I have a belt, also how hard is it to unsecure it from the rear wheel?

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Hmmm. That's funny considering that vmax in the picture has a driveshaft and not a chain! I wouldn't do it...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
If you are thinking bout buying that, I would suggest you update your insurance... :) You can buy a decent trailer (check ebay for it) that is light weight that you can pack your bike on and other stuff, much more stable platform, helps protect the bike from rock chips and road debris, much safer way to tow your bike... JMO...

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Hell no I wouldn't.

People tell me 600 bucks for my helmet was to much.

My head is the investment, just like the helmet.

So your trailer should be based on the bike, if I was towing a 500 scooter I would use that trailer, a V-rod hell no would I use that.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
NO,I would not tow my big Harleys with that frail thing.I would call my insurance company and have them tow the bike with one of the 4 free tows per bike I get each year with my policy.Same thing with my automobiles.
If I had to tow for reasons other than what the insurance would cover,I would use the enclosed trailer that a few of us in the hood have a joint venture in.It's always there when one of us need it.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
The perfect trailer can be rented for $15 a day at uhaul, with amount of time and money in my motorcycle I could not trust this device.
Like you say what about the belt? Some transmissions need the oil pump running to lube the bearings and gears, this would not happen being driven from the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
i sure wouldnt use it ............. bite the bullet and get a small trailer

·
Free At Last
212 Posts
Back in the early 70's I towed a Honda 350 several hundred miles with something like this. Never again. It had a lot of leverage on the trailer hitch, and damaged it. And that bike weighed half of the VR. On toll roads they charged for the extra axle!! Rent a trailer. Cheaper and safer.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
U - Haul is your friend...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thank all of your responses, I wish I could use the actual uhaul motorcycle trailer, but they don't let you take it to different states? I dont know if thats an Arizona thing. I have decided to just rent a 5x9 trailer and secure the bike in that manner. Thank you all for your opinions on the matter.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I thank all of your responses, I wish I could use the actual uhaul motorcycle trailer, but they don't let you take it to different states? I dont know if thats an Arizona thing. I have decided to just rent a 5x9 trailer and secure the bike in that manner. Thank you all for your opinions on the matter.
I would question the crossing state lines as it tells you on the uhaul site you can cross into Canada without problem.

I have used their trailer and it tows great! If you only need a trailer once in a while renting is best.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
I bought a 6.5' by 12' trailer for around $800 brand new about 10 years ago. It hauls 2 heavy bikes no problem and I use for runs to the dump, Home Depot etc. There is no insurance cost, your tow vehicle policy covers it. In MD it costs me $51 for 2 years to register it. Very handy to have around and in the time I have had it it has only cost me tags and 1 set of tires, other than buying it. I see these things on Craigs list all the time for less than 1/2 used. A small enclosed trailer would be an even better idea, makes nice portable garage too.
I agree with rest of the class here though, that bumper thing, no way!

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I would fear useing that for 2 reasons, one the trans is lubercated by presurised oil. so towing in netural could wipe out the trans. The owners manual says do not coast in netural with the motor off. Second that looks like an easy steal. Stop for gas take a leak and its on the back of another truck and gone.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts

'Nuff said...

I used to tow this behind my bus when I was road managing a band - added E-Track and Condor Chock...

Rick

·
Registered
158 Posts
Never!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts