Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 muscle /w slip-ons, topless and K&N. I had a quick and dirty dyno done. I wasn’t 100% happy with it, but for the price it was well worth it. My very low throttle, low RPMs are not tuned well because it was a manual process and the vrod doesn’t have the torque to overcome the roller at low rpm/throttle. (I'm not a dayton dyno fan) My 100% column is tuned well. I added a KN filter after dyno and it seems to really through off the tune surprisingly. I'm really disappointed with my fuel consumption and I think the PCV autotune might help me with that. Dyno was set to 13.9:1 for curise ranges. I took a 200+ mile trip running only 55-65mph two up and was only getting about 31mph. Best I have ever got was 34ish. NO, I didn’t buy the rod for mileage, but when being “nice” too it I expect to respect me back with something in the mid 30 to high 30’s. LOL

So those with auto tune, are you happy with it or does it cause you more grief then its worth? Would you recommend? I do plan on doing more I/E mods in the future.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Auto Tune

This is my opinion and mine only. My bike (09vrscaW) is basically stock so I purchased the PCV with auto tune. I never got it to clear up the hesitation when shifting, decel popping, and the flutter at about 3k to 3500 rpms. So I purchased the daytona twin tec which comes with the auto tune and noticed that the TT unit in the installation instructions strongly recommends something in the exhaust to stop reversion when running open exhaust, which I had. PCV instructions do not include that recommendation. I thought I have found my problem and expected great things from the twin tec unit after purchasing another exhaust to stop the mentioned reversion from my open exhaust. A cheaper solution would have been fix my current exhaust according the the twin tec instructions but I did want another exhaust and that was my excuse. This unit
(the daytona twin tec) is marginally better but after about 1000 miles everything I hoped for in clearing up the above problems has not occurred. Part of the problem, is my lack of understanding of the way the unit works and very poor instructions. If I had it to do over, I would buy the PCV and get to a good tuner for the changes that are commonly called stage I stuff which is all I will be doing. If going further another tuner such as the TT can handle bigger changes to the motor. The PCV is limited in the amount of motor changes it can handle. Most all threads on this forum I have read say a good starting tune is most important with the PCV even with the auto tune, so why buy the auto tune.it. Do not get me wrong as the TT unit is capable of doing much more than the PCV but not as user friendly neither is it a quick fix.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My experience up to now with the PCV & AutoTune...

I have a PCV and love it. It does everything it says it will do and does a good job. It's been very reliable and a good value for the money. I had my bike dyno'ed. Then made a few more changes (same situation your in). I purchased the autotune with the expectation it would take care of the tune needed with any future changes and give me the ability of choosing my AFR (having a economy map when I want it and a performance map when I need it).

My experience has not been very good with the autotune option (YET). I got it installed and spent a ton of time tying to figure out why I could not get it to work. I contacted dynojet, they remote-logged into my computer and decided it was not pilot error and the autotune was just defective. Here is where the disappointments begin. It's small details but at this moment, still an issue for me.

The autotune was brand new and apparently DOA. Even though they where very nice and trouble-shot it by logging into my computer remotely, they still needed me to return it for them to look at in there facility. I HAD TO PAY TO SHIP IT BACK TO THEM and now, a week later i'm still setting on my hands waiting for them to either fix it or send another unit. To me this is poor customer service for a brand new warranted product (I should either have a new unit in my hands by now of my money back).

Everyone keeps telling me I'll love it once it's all working and I believe thats true. But right now, I'm just looking at a bunch of wire hanging out of my bike and the sunny days that i'm not ridding... :banghead:

Here is a link to my thread:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164698&highlight=

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a PCV and love it. It does everything it says it will do and does a good job. It's been very reliable and a good value for the money. I had my bike dyno'ed. Then made a few more changes (same situation your in). I purchased the autotune with the expectation it would take care of the tune needed with any future changes and give me the ability of choosing my AFR (having a economy map when I want it and a performance map when I need it).

My experience has not been very good with the autotune option (YET). I got it installed and spent a ton of time tying to figure out why I could not get it to work. I contacted dynojet, they remote-logged into my computer and decided it was not pilot error and the autotune was just defective. Here is where the disappointments begin. It's small details but at this moment, still an issue for me.

The autotune was brand new and apparently DOA. Even though they where very nice and trouble-shot it by logging into my computer remotely, they still needed me to return it for them to look at in there facility. I HAD TO PAY TO SHIP IT BACK TO THEM and now, a week later i'm still setting on my hands waiting for them to either fix it or send another unit. To me this is poor customer service for a brand new warranted product (I should either have a new unit in my hands by now of my money back).

Everyone keeps telling me I'll love it once it's all working and I believe thats true. But right now, I'm just looking at a bunch of wire hanging out of my bike and the sunny days that i'm not ridding... :banghead:

Her is a link to my thread:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164698&highlight=
Followup phone call.....I will be there in two weeks. Plan on having a long talk and see if I can get one of their techs to log in here maybe a couple of times a week to help us out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts