Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the members blew up his engine during the time trials at the KC Rally KCIR night.
The next day Max and the bunch stripped the bike down to find the problem.
At that time they did not have parts to fix the bike so they handed the bike back to the owner in boxes.
Question is What is the status of the bike? Will it ever run again? Glad it wasn't mine. It would have been a long walk back to Florida with my bike under my arm.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
The bike was a big bore with one of the welded cranks, the member was Ray the same guy who works at the KC plant doing QA on the VRods, I believe the engine was taken back with Paul from Eagle HD, he is the magic mechanic on the race team. So all in all I think Ray's engine is in the best place with the best guy working on it.

Not as bleak as it seems.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Rusty, I'm not the owner Ray Conner Vrodcustoms is but I can give you a short break down. When they tore his motor down they found that the rod bearings and the main bearings were all shot. They "Eagle" pretty much determined that his 1/4 stroke reground ground crank was bad and not running true which caused the damage. Ray sent #13 the bike back with Eagle so they can put it back together for him. So yes it will run again.

·
Inked up Irishman
2,829 Posts
Man where is that picture!!!! Lonnie you know Paul and Elvis had an engin in that bike the next day and as soon as they work out the knots out of the drive belt it should be ready to race.......anyone got a pic?????

·
Inked up Irishman
2,829 Posts
I Knew someone would come through....

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shadow11 said:
The bike was a big bore with one of the welded cranks, the member was Ray the same guy who works at the KC plant doing QA on the VRods, I believe the engine was taken back with Paul from Eagle HD, he is the magic mechanic on the race team. So all in all I think Ray's engine is in the best place with the best guy working on it.

Not as bleak as it seems.
Kinda figured this was the case but it has been gnawing on my brain. Not being a wiz on motorcycle maintenance I was amazed at how quickly that thing was torn apart and diagnosed as to failure. Reminded me of a Animal planet special showing a pride of lions gnawing on a fresh kill.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Is this a picture of Ray's bike?

Thanks Mike

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Hindsight is always 20/20 there might be another reason for Rays engine to go down. The sump for the v-rod oil pan is in the very middle of the pan. No one rides more wheelies on a v-rod that I have seen then Ray (maybe flip flop from the detroit crew). I have always thought that the Drag guys and people that wheelie might do well with a sump that is extended to the back of the oil pan just to make sure the pump stays in oil all the time. I agree the crank was far from perfect but it had enough miles on it that I would have thought if it was that far out that it would have failed right away, so my thought is that the poorly machined crank combined with lack of lubrication from starving the pump may have played a part in this.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
stayed at a holiday inn express in KC didn't you.

Max said:
Hindsight is always 20/20 there might be another reason for Rays engine to go down. The sump for the v-rod oil pan is in the very middle of the pan. No one rides more wheelies on a v-rod that I have seen then Ray (maybe flip flop from the detroit crew). I have always thought that the Drag guys and people that wheelie might do well with a sump that is extended to the back of the oil pan just to make sure the pump stays in oil all the time. I agree the crank was far from perfect but it had enough miles on it that I would have thought if it was that far out that it would have failed right away, so my thought is that the poorly machined crank combined with lack of lubrication from starving the pump may have played a part in this.

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Has anyone else seen failures from launches or wheelies on a V-rod like this? Max let me know if you engineer a rear pickup tube. I think I will have the Eagle guys put something in to avoid this in the future.

Rusty G thanks for the concern but it couldn't have been a better person to happen to then me. I am local so I wasn't out a ride home and the right guys to fix the motor were there at the time. Last year Brian blew his turbo motor and he rode it out all the way from the East coast. That is the kind of stuff we all hate to see. Plus we got some great footage of the tear down, and people at the rally that have never seen a motor cracked open got to see it first hand. So all and all as of right now it is a happy ending.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
vrodcustoms said:
Has anyone else seen failures from launches or wheelies on a V-rod like this? Max let me know if you engineer a rear pickup tube. I think I will have the Eagle guys put something in to avoid this in the future.
After thinking, maybe the forward (middle) pickup is the problem with the few Destroyers that have had problems. I know they run a deep sump with pickup extender to keep oil off the crank but what if you were to run the deep sump with enough oil to still bring it back up to the level of the stock dipstick (extra qt or so)? Although after thinking some more with the flat baffles that are in the sump the launch may not be the problem. An oil pressure gauge with pressure data logger may be the only true test.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
vrodcustoms said:

Rusty G thanks for the concern but it couldn't have been a better person to happen to then me. I am local so I wasn't out a ride home and the right guys to fix the motor were there at the time. Last year Brian blew his turbo motor and he rode it out all the way from the East coast. That is the kind of stuff we all hate to see. Plus we got some great footage of the tear down, and people at the rally that have never seen a motor cracked open got to see it first hand. So all and all as of right now it is a happy ending.

what about putting in some baffles like a gas tank, or tractor trailer tankers?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts