Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but I've been lurking around for awhile. The reason is I've really been wanting a Night Rod and now with the changes to the 08's it's really getting hard for me not to trade my Heritage in for one.
My main question is does anyone use their Night Rod (or any V-rod for that matter) as a commuter bike and would you recommend it? I ride my bikes to work almost every day because they get great mileage and most importantly I really enjoy it. My commute is 20 miles each way broken up half and half between highway and city riding.

I came really close to buying a night rod in 05 but went went with a Heritage instead because it seemed more practical at the time with a windshield and saddlebags. Over the last few years though I've realized that I hate a windshield except when it's really cold and it's a lot easier to strap a backpack to the passenger backrest than to use the saddlebags. All this plus the cool changes for 08 are really making want a Night Rod again something awful.

I really like the larger engine, killer new wheels, slipper clutch, the mid controls and the 5 gallon gas tank. I think Harley is finally getting serious about the VRSC bikes.

If anyone could answer these questions and provide your opinions I would greatly appreciate your input:
How is the small windshield for the Night Rod in the cold?
Is the backrest available for the Night Rod big enough to strap a medium sized backpack to reliably?
How does the Night Rod handle in a city environment?

Thanks for enduring my long winded post and for any insights you might be able to provide.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
:welcome:

I would do it. Although, your wrist may keep you from getting the same MPG's as the Heritage.

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
Absolutely. There's is nothing like grinning all the way to work and then all the home again. I use a back-pack and have strapped larger loads to just the back seat. Now once I get this luggage rack installed, (bought both pieces separate on e-bay and both were missing parts) nothing but winter roads and down pours will keep me from commuting with it.

BTW
-You don't need a windshield for commuting. Anything under a couple of hours is fine with just a helmet.
-My tool bag is 40+lbs
-The Night Rod is about the most drop dead gorgous stock bike for under 20k that I have ever seen.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Go for it! I used to commute about 60 miles round trip in the warmer months with an A model and I eventually added HD hard bags, but you could just throw a SAC bag or a Bikers Friend bag on the back seat.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
MurphysLaw said:
Go for it! I used to commute about 60 miles round trip in the warmer months with an A model and I eventually added HD hard bags, but you could just throw a SAC bag or a Bikers Friend bag on the back seat.
:them: That's how I do it.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
do it, you will wander what you was thinking when you bought the bagger.i ride mine everyday to work.i just hate i live less than a mile from work

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
I ride my vrod everyday, and it is a great commuter bike since it is nimble and has the power when you need it (or want it).

I use a jansport day pack to carry what I need for work. Makes it easy to keep everything I need in a portable bag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help guys. I agree with your comments about full face helmets. I have a half helmet and a full face and almost never wear the half helmet anymore. I hate all the rocks and bugs hitting me in the face and the chinstrap trying to separate my head from my body every time I'm over 40mph. I know I'll lose some money trading in my old bike but I was really wanting to build up the engine to get some respectable power, and that would have cost around $2,000 anyway. The great thing about the Night Rod is it's good to go right out of the box, something that really appeals to me after years of wrenching on bikes that I was never quite satisfied with. Again, thanks for all your input and for contributing to my newbikeitis.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I ride mine to work everyday in the warmer months here in MI. 27 miles one way. I wear a FF and use a backpack to carry a rain suit and my lunch, I can stuff my jacket in it in the afternoon for the ride home. Since most of ride is rural it makes the work commute a lot more enjoyable.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Put over 11000 miles on it in about 8 months of ride time. the funny thing is, it is about 1 mile to work and 30-100 miles home and the route changes frequently. Do it! I think you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I commute 60+ miles round trip almost everyday on my DX. No problems at all. I have a T-bag rollbag for carrying goodies.

Go for it! Comfort won't be what it was on the heritage but the fun factor will more than make up for it all other times. After a week or so you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Welcome, I think it makes a great commuter bike.

·
Banned
837 Posts
I commute all the time, and it works great. My only complaint ahs been the poor range (expect fuel economy somewhere in the 30's), but with the new 5gal tank, thats been fixed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live in Michigan, winter in Arizona, and put about 18,000 miles on My night rod a year. I use it whenever it's not in the shop for all my running around and I usually hit two HOG state rally's each year. I do have a sport shield and the soft bags for long trips. It'll do the job if it's running and it'll get there faster than a pushrod twin even if it's in reverse.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Get the hard bags and perhaps change the seat to one that fits your fanny.
The only other option you may want is a detachable windshield- although except for when it's under 35F, mine stays nearly permanently detached.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts