Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed a 2500 mile trek through Europe to Faakar See, had trouble with a noisy drive belt. After investigating the front pulley when I got home found that the offset [Hogpro 280 kit bought for my o4 which included an Alu 30t] front pulley has worn down by at least half the height of when new, everything else regarding Hogpro was without any problems whatsover.

After contacting Phil at Hogpro he informs me that there is a 4 week wait for replacements.

Has anyone else had similar problems with wear on a 30t alu. front pulley
Any point in changing to a 30 t STEEL ie. DA Fitzgerald ?
Any alternative suppliers ?

Luckily got back ok with plenty of wd40 to keep the noise down, rally superb but very wild.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I believe Sharkey @ V-shop can get the CFR pulley which is supposed to be annodized which is supposed to prevent wear. The Fitzgerald pulley is probably the better choice but I'm not sure of the offset required for the 280 vs the 240.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
yep,my neighbor has an 03 with some chicken shit wide wheel kit from germany that has a 70th rear and a 32 tooth front aluminum drive pulley that is worn so sharp it shaves the belt.It doesn't even use a V-Rod belt,it's a custom made cut belt from an old Softail.
Raw 6061 is to soft for the drive pulley.
Now she has to change the wheels,rear pulley and the drive pulley because nothing else will interchange mechanically,or cosmetically.She cannot afford the 6 grand plus that it costs for a set of custom wheels and new pulleys,so the bike sits and rots.
It's a shame that companys are allowed to market products that aren't regulated for replacement parts,or replacement parts in a decent amount of time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Now she has to change the wheels,rear pulley and the drive pulley because nothing else will interchange mechanically,or cosmetically.She cannot afford the 6 grand plus that it costs for a set of custom wheels and new pulleys,so the bike sits and rots.
It's a shame that companys are allowed to market products that aren't regulated for replacement parts,or replacement parts in a decent amount of time.
WoW that front pulley looks bad and it isn't normal wear. I saw a rear recently with the same wear and didn't understand how it occurred, now I know.

So, has she looked into having a front pulley made from 7075 and hardcoating it? Yes, it will cost more than a stock item, but compared to new wheels and pulleys it will be much less costly.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
i had a similiar front pulley and it looked just like that

yuck indeed

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
yep,my neighbor has an 03 with some chicken shit wide wheel kit from germany that has a 70th rear and a 32 tooth front aluminum drive pulley that is worn so sharp it shaves the belt.It doesn't even use a V-Rod belt,it's a custom made cut belt from an old Softail.

El tell her about Super Max http://www.supermax.net/ among other things they can repair pulleys like that...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I've sent some emails to some people that claim they make pulleys and no one has ever bothered to answer me.Some are members here.The local machine shops want an average of 800 friggin dollars to make one in steel! I'll bet they never sell one.
I'm done trying to help people with odd shit that comes from other parts of the world that cannot be obtained.Every single time I try to help someone in this type position,my dick gets run through the favor grinder.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Steel pulleys are the way to go if you ask me, but I am a little one sided! HA

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Dumbass thought... why not mount the flange on the other side of a stock steel pulley and gain 3/4 inch offset? Do the heads of the bolts get in the way? I think I am going to look at it anyway. Just reversing the side of the flange actually gains a 1" offset. I am considering doing this... I think some did years ago with good results. I run a 250 and my CFR engine pulley is doing the same thing as Elrods and I don't need any flavor added for mine. LOL. Donald

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
My Hogpro aluminum pulley did the same thing. I went with the H-D steel pulley that was offset for the 240 bikes.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Why would anyone make a high wear part out of aluminum? Shouldn't it be hard anodized?
The hard anodized wears too... I believe anodized is just the outer surface... once it wears through that, your at the mercy of whatever the base material hardness is. Anodized, IMHO opinion, is just a word to sell cheaper made, than steel. Rear pulleys will show some wear too but at only a 1/3 to a 1/4 the rate as the engine pulley

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Don't forget steel parts are, well...old fashion. They aren't as cool as high tech aluminum alloy.

Also, folks want the alloy to save a pound on the bike weight. For many folks shaving weight would be better accomplished by spending the money on a personal trainer.

The problems occur when surfaces and corners are cut. 6061 or other lower cost alloy is used instead of the harder stuff and type II anodizing (pretty colors) is used instead of type III (hard coat).

Greed or market forces? As long as the facts are disclosed, I don't have a problem with art parts. This would give you the choice of buying the art part that lasts 10K miles or the regular part that lasts 100K+ miles. You can have both, but it will cost you more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, I've got to say that only having done 5-7000 miles the wear is pretty serious, and secondly why should a pulley be made from aluminium. OK I've been giving the bike a hard time especially going all over the Swiss. Austrian and Italian passes but I didn't expect the pulley to be quite as bad as it is.
Ricks does a steel offside front which I'm checking out, which is a bit ironic as Ricks had a big stand at the site...........just sitting down waiting to see how much.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts