Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minor Bump in the road to Motorcycling Nirvana...
I got stranded 50 miles from home the day before yesterday...bike is 3 weeks old with 1600mi.
$155 tow and two days later... I am told a solenoid is on order.
Symptoms: Bike indicators:
ON: both turn signal LEDS - steady; brights LED; oil LED;
Off: Neutral; no headlight, no signal lights

I can't say enough about the HD dealer guys that tried and tried to get me going over the phone. They had me try everything related to troubleshooting the security system, and then had me get a code. The code seemed to indicate a bad ground from the turn signal indicator. Good guys, but no luck.
Hopefully the solenoid will arrive Monday and do the trick.
Also lost a small bolt from the exhaust heat shield which is on too.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
oh, Dave, that really sux!! Glad the dealership tried to helpful anyway.

Hey - did you buy it new and get a HOG membership with it? If you send them the towing bill, they will reimburse you -- I don't remember how much, but it's something.

Let us know how this works out.

Val

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! I did get the HOG membership. Thanks Val, I'll check into that!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Dave-04 the wiring coming loose on the solenoid has been a big problem for many. I guess I don't understand what the turnsignal LEDs being lit up has to do with the solenoid though. The solenoid is located just in front of the dipstick area on the back of the radiator and frame bracket and is very easy to jump around with a good size piece of wire to confirm any failure with it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Same Problem Here, I had the dealer look at it when I had an appointment for dyno, The kept saying my LED Light from Doc was causing the problem, I continued to agrue with them for a couple days, I forced them to release the bike to me after they dynoed and tuned, They tried to tell me the security system demanded a certain ampre draw or the bike would shut down, said my LED Light was causing this. My Signals indcators, Signal Blikers, Fuel Gauge, Indicator back lights, and Brake light wouldnt work. I kept asking them about it and they told me that all of that stuff was on two seperate circuts. Got home check the fuses, and guess what, thier tech was to stupid and arrogant in his ways to check the fuse, he automaticlly blamed my LED'S,
I changed the fuse and Everything worked. (and by the way it is all the same circut on a 04 B Model)

I called them and let them know what kind of great service work they did for me. :mrgr:

They refunded all the labor costs associated to the problem. I will be taking my Bike to another dealer for service from now on. (They all were clueless on how to work on a V Rod)

But I am Super Happy with the rest of the dealership departments.

So in Closing, Check the Fuses. Some Techs could learn from this advice.

(BTW, Docs Light didnt cause the fuse to blow, I have since put 350 miles on it without a fuse blowing, and Docs Light is still producing the brightest light ever)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up: My bike was towed to my house because it was too late to go directly to an HD dealer. The closest dealer towed my bike for free, on a Friday morning, and had it fixed by Monday afternoon. The explaination I received was that the solenoid did not fix the problem, but they managed to find a bad wire. I haven't been able to talk to the actual tech, so I can't tell you what wire was bad. All in all I was very impressed with all of the service folks I spoke with. Everyone tried to be as helpful as possible. Also, thanks to the HOG tip, I'll be getting $100.00 back for towing re-imbursement.
Now I want to pay HOG the extra $29.95 per year for unlimited towing coverage, and the overnight stay re-imbursement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts