Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just taken it for a ride.
Then came back and to check the oil, backed it down the driveway on to the sidewalk for a level place to check the oil. Did that then started it and rode it up to the house to load it up for a ride.

Got it all loaded up and ready to go on the ride.
Turn the ignition on and hit the starter and nothin.
Checked lights - plenty of headlight.
Checked engine run/off switch.
Tried the other security fob.
Tried changing out the fob battery.
Tried overriding the security system with the blinker switches.
Out of time, have to go, will mess with it later.
OK, came back and decided what the heck, might as well check the owner's manual for troubleshooting.
Says check Engine run switch, check ignition switch, check battery.
Then, #4. Clutch lever not squeezed against handlebar or transmission not in neutral.

Duh.

The old bike would turn over in gear. Well, at least there was no one around.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Check all the grounds.

Not sure if the late bikes have a kickstand switch,but that's another to check.

Swap the relay with another one at the panel.

If this doesn't work,go to the solenoid and check for 12 volts at the small wire while pushing the start switch.

If there is a 12 volt signal at the small wire,make sure the trans is in neutral and jump the 2 big wires.If the engine turns over,back track the system until you fine the part that has the open circuit.

If it doesn't turn over after jumping the 2 big wires,check the voltage at the big wire coming from the battery.There should be battery voltage here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, thanks for the tips, those are good to know, but like Dr. Dave said. It wasn't in neutral, or have the clutch pullled in. That wasn't required on my old bike.

Thought I would share a laugh on me.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
You want a laugh.. The neutral light has failed on mine, always on. Probably the switch, may be a short. I haven't fixed it, been busy.

Try pressing the started button when you're not on it. They go surprisingly fast. Fortunately they are easy to pick up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts