Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike won't shift into 2nd gear with out playing with the shifter or shuting the motor off and restarting it, The shifter goes from 1st to neutral... Is there a new upgrade for the 1st & 2nd gear and 3rd gear forks ? I have the upgrade shift actuator and drum kit and 4 & 5th gears forks in hand. Just wondering if I need anything else ?

I'm wondering if anyone had the same problem and how was it fixed ?

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
Shifting issues

Edited, wrong post

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is just trying to up shift to 2nd, once there down shifting is fine.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
parkus said:
Are the clutch master and slave both working properly? Any binding on the linkage?
Its all good... I'm thinking its the 1&2 gear shifter forks after talkiing to one of the fine members here. :)

Still looking for additional input.................

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
I had guessed you checked the simple stuff, but wouldn't it be nice if it was something simple and cheap for a change.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
VrodG said:
Its all good... I'm thinking its the 1&2 gear shifter forks after talkiing to one of the fine members here. :)

Still looking for additional input.................
1st and 3rd share a shift fork.

2nd gear uses a dedicated shift fork (not shared with other gear selections).

I haven't heard of an HD update for the 2nd gear fork.

Max might be able to help.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think its 1 and 2 on one fork, 3 by its self and 4 and 5th together.

I just finished doing the PM 's that seem to be long over due.:hidesbeh: I also found a binding with my Pingel shifter, so I disconnected it and going for a test ride....wish me luck........:deal:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
VrodG said:
I think its 1 and 2 on one fork, 3 by its self and 4 and 5th together.

I just finished doing the PM 's that seem to be long over due.:hidesbeh: I also found a binding with my Pingel shifter, so I disconnected it and going for a test ride....wish me luck........:deal:
Greg he is correct, when I talked to you I didn't have teh book handy. 2nd gear is the shift fork that sits inside the large aluminum fork and only works second gear. I also think it is easier to bend because it only really pushes one way and not both.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
VrodG said:
I think its 1 and 2 on one fork, 3 by its self and 4 and 5th together. ...
drawings and other information I have would disagree. E.g.:
Part # 35429-01K is the 2nd gear shift fork
Part # 35428-01K is the 1st/3rd gear shift fork
Part # 35430-01K is the 4th/5th gear shift fork

(edit: Max you type too fast)

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
VrodG said:
... Are these the latest greatest pt#s ?
I got them from the 2005 VRSC parts book.

According to Chicago HD 35428-01K and 35429-01K are current. They list two different 4th/5th forks:
35430-01K: SHIFTER FORK, 4TH & 5TH GEAR D
35430-01KA: SHIFTER FORK ASSY, 4TH & 5TH GEAR

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stever975 said:
I got them from the 2005 VRSC parts book.

According to Chicago HD 35428-01K and 35429-01K are current. They list two different 4th/5th forks:
35430-01K: SHIFTER FORK, 4TH & 5TH GEAR D

I have this one and it's the upgrade.

Thanks Greg

·
FireBum
485 Posts
Max said:
Greg he is correct, when I talked to you I didn't have teh book handy. 2nd gear is the shift fork that sits inside the large aluminum fork and only works second gear. I also think it is easier to bend because it only really pushes one way and not both.
Mine shifts good usually, but sometimes it seems to fall into gear so quickly that it grinds a little. does that sound like a fork issue? are they hard to replace?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Shonoff said:
Mine shifts good usually, but sometimes it seems to fall into gear so quickly that it grinds a little. does that sound like a fork issue? are they hard to replace?
No that sounds like your shifting early or your clutch isn't fully disengaged. If I try to shift mine at very low rpm it is much harder then it is if I'm at 5k or higher rpm.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Pingel shifter mount move back and wouldn't allow the shifter to move ...:hidesbeh:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Greg that is great news. I'm surprised it only effected second gear and not the others but I guess they could require a little different throw on each of them. I forgot you have your pingel mounted differently then I do mine.

·
1,016 Posts
If you've got the upgrade kit and haven't done it yet go for it. The shift actuator changes were pretty substantial, same overall actions completed by the actuator but the way that the sliding fork that engages the pins in the shift drum has changed. That tiny fork on a pin slid in a bore but doesn't anymore. It's now a piece that slides by it's mating part inside of sliding into it. In short, it's improved. Make sure when you install the actuator that the little coiled spring has each end in the correct position to load the sliding fork piece.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts