Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 DX will not hold a charge. I've had the battery on a charger, and it's always on a tender. It won't even hold enough juice to start the bike. Battery is 3 years old and I have a Power Commander and Autotune installed as far as non-factory electronics go. I've jumped it from a car since this started and apparently that was a no no...

Any ideas how to chase this down? Posting from phone so search didn't turn up too much, sorry if this has been covered 47 times already. If it has please link me.

Thanks,
DK

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,245 Posts
First thing is to have the battery load checked. In the States AUtozone or Advance Auto Parts stores will check the battery for free. IF the battery checks good then you have a drain o it.
At three years of age I would suspect the battery is bad. Jumping from a car battery is OK as long as you do NOT have the automobile engine running. The cars charging system will over power the motorcycles electronics.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canadian Tire will test the battery for free up here so that's no problem. 3 years for an AGM battery? That's it? Hope it's just a battery then.

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,245 Posts
for a daily rider or a battery that has been kept on a battery tender 3 years is a little low but not unheard of. I have heard of batteries lasting 7-8 years and still running strong. Mine usually crap out at about 4-5 years.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
I have had these batteries last only 1 year and have a "bad cell" while the previous battery lasted 6 years. Hard to predict but they do sometimes fail in a short time. Have it load tested or just replace it.

·
Louie Lou
24 Posts
I know this is an old post. But was it just the Battery? Been having the same issue. And changed several batteries. Not familiar wth Load testing for a battery. Will that tell if there's a Bad Cell? I guess i have to remove the battery for that right!? @%^&!!!

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I've had two batteries, different bikes, where on the tender and showing full charge, yet fail to start the bike. They fail on the load test.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,245 Posts
I know this is an old post. But was it just the Battery? Been having the same issue. And changed several batteries. Not familiar wth Load testing for a battery. Will that tell if there's a Bad Cell? I guess i have to remove the battery for that right!? @%^&!!!
A load test will determine if a cell is bad or not. Take battery to auto parts store for a free check.

·
Louie Lou
24 Posts
Anyone know if loose terminals is a common issue for VRods? Wondering if it has to do w/Vibration & battery Location? Have had this happen 2-3 times in the 7yrs or so That I own my Bike.
Apparently/Obviously the charge wasn't fully happening due to this.

Just purchased an OEm battery yesterday. hoping it's the only issue nothing more...

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
A loose connection could be the culprit, periodically check all points, remove & clean would be going the extra mile, do it with every oil change or annually.

·
Louie Lou
24 Posts
Had dead cells in my Interstate Battery. Was surprised with Interstate Battery. It died 2ce. Had it recharged after the 1st time (by Interstate) & now died again.
I went OEM this time. (Back to my lose terminal question/comment) I like how with the OEM the terminal screws are on top. So far 2-3 weeks & been Good to go...
LET'S RIDE...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts