Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for some advice so Hear it goes. I have 2016 VRSCF running a Fitzgerald Cut Throat and a Daytona Twin Tech ECM. After ride the battery would loose enogh charge to not start the bike. Trusted the charging system and realized the stator needed replacing and did so But the bike is still doing the same thing. Ive gone through two new batteries and the bike has been in the shop for testing. No slow draw on the battery issue. It’s still draining the battery on long rides. Any advice would help. Thank you.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I’m looking for some advice so Hear it goes. I have 2016 VRSCF running a Fitzgerald Cut Throat and a Daytona Twin Tech ECM. After ride the battery would loose enogh charge to not start the bike. Trusted the charging system and realized the stator needed replacing and did so But the bike is still doing the same thing. Ive gone through two new batteries and the bike has been in the shop for testing. No slow draw on the battery issue. It’s still draining the battery on long rides. Any advice would help. Thank you.
Are u running any accessories other than stock? Does the battery light flicker or come on at times?Have u replaced the regulator? Charging voltage should be at least 13.8 volts with the engine running. I know u said it has been to a shop, so I will assume they have checked all the grounds.Will it try to crank at all? If so, Does the starter drag? You replaced batteries why? Were they bad or what?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. The stator was replaced and I bought a new battery then took it out for a hour ride and then when I tried to start the bike it sounded like a weak battery so I had it towed home. Took the battery back to the shop and it was replaced with another new batter. Took out for a ride a couple days later and same issue. Battery too weak to crank it over So had it towed again. Put it on a battery tender overnight and it cranked up with no problem so I rode it to the shop, and there she sits. The shop tested for a slow draw over a week and no draw was found. They took it out for a long ride and were finally able to reproduce the issue. They are going to try and diagnose the problem so I’m hoping to find some helpful information here, especially since this is a VRod post.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for your response. The stator was replaced and I bought a new battery then took it out for a hour ride and then when I tried to start the bike it sounded like a weak battery so I had it towed home. Took the battery back to the shop and it was replaced with another new batter. Took out for a ride a couple days later and same issue. Battery too weak to crank it over So had it towed again. Put it on a battery tender overnight and it cranked up with no problem so I rode it to the shop, and there she sits. The shop tested for a slow draw over a week and no draw was found. They took it out for a long ride and were finally able to reproduce the issue. They are going to try and diagnose the problem so I’m hoping to find some helpful information here, especially since this is a VRod post.
Did u replace the regulator? Or are u calling that a stator, which is inside of engine.Thats usually most of the charging problems.If all the basic stuff is ok. Did u try and let engine cool off and see if it would start. Possible wont crank when hot.I am not familiar with that ecm and if it can cause an issue.You also have a starter limiting gear which may have an issue, that maybe failing when the engine is hot. Its purpose is to protect starter from excessive loads while cranking.Could be bad contacts in starter solenoid.Or the starter itself could be failing when hot.You can do a search here, Hard start, starter, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was defense the stator because the shop had to open up the engine. Thanks for the insight and I’ll look into it.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I would be doing a parasitic draw test at the battery. Once the ECM goes to sleep (about one minute), measure the draw. You can then calculate how long it would take to drain the battery to a no start voltage condition. Leaky diode in the voltage regulator is one of the higher draw offenders. Unfortunately, it's been years since I tested my bike but with security system, but here is a good guideline for total and individual component checks.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey man, I have the same exact bike and I had the same problem, I changed 2 batteries and unfortunately I lost my power commander as well, I found out that I had 3 bad grounds points on the bike, the solution was reconnecting every ground on the bike again and I’m sure u will find a corrosion somewhere, I hope that would help

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’m looking for some advice so Hear (or here) it goes. I have 1968 MILF running a Deep Throat and a Astroglide ECM. After a good hard ride the starfish canal would loose (or loosen) enogh (or enough) not to charge. Ive gone through two new tubes of Astroglide and she has been in the shop (gyno) for testing. Any advice would help. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts