Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, test rode a 2002 Vrod today from a private party. The bike would not always shift into gear. 1st was no problem, but once rolling the bike would not always shift to the next higher gear. I think there was a problem with each gear, 2 thru 5.

I was wearing steel toe boots, and the boot was putting up pressure on the shift lever. The owner said that was the problem, BUT, when he took it out, it would not upshift on one gear for him. I heard it, but He said it shifted fine.

So, what do y’all think? Any problems like this happening with that model year?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Hey guys, test rode a 2002 Vrod today from a private party. The bike would not always shift into gear. 1st was no problem, but once rolling the bike would not always shift to the next higher gear. I think there was a problem with each gear, 2 thru 5.

I was wearing steel toe boots, and the boot was putting up pressure on the shift lever. The owner said that was the problem, BUT, when he took it out, it would not upshift on one gear for him. I heard it, but He said it shifted fine.

So, what do y’all think? Any problems like this happening with that model year?
I think I'd look for a late 04 and up bike. They did have issues early on and by 05 the trans parts have been updated. By nature of the second gear design, all of us, even with later models, once in a while make a miss shift to second if we get lazy feet or hit the wrong rpm and speed for the shift. All other gears should slip in nice and smooth up and down.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Could also be nothing but a dirty shifter rod joints. That's the rod between the shift pedal and the transmission shaft. The Hiem joints do get pretty gummy from road crud and need to be cleaned out once in a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts