Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the way my bike was turning.It seems in sweeping turns that it feel like the rear wants to slide out even a wobble sort of feel to it.Is that because of the tire size or something else.It is a stock dx as fare as tire size.I would appreciate any oppinions about this.

·
Registered
208 Posts
for me change the 240 at 5000mi was all done but the last 2000mi on it did not feel to good kind of slipery now metzeler 260 on the beast feels much better!!

but i would still check air pressure like jim said

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks i will check the pressure.The bike only has 200 miles on it so them tires really must suck if there jerked already.One of the dealer guys had rode the bike and brought up that the wide tire would make the bike uneasy for turning .

·
Registered
208 Posts
B.murphy said:
Thanks i will check the pressure.The bike only has 200 miles on it so them tires really must suck if there jerked already.One of the dealer guys had rode the bike and brought up that the wide tire would make the bike uneasy for turning .
maybe at low speed but not in fast sweeping turns!!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
B.murphy said:
The fat tire makes sweeping turns easier then any other skinny tire. I describe it as, what ever angle you have your bike at it will stay there all day. A real pleasure as far as I am concerned.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
My stock 240 does great in turns, the only time she slips has been when there was something on the road to slip on, which is not often. Hit some sand once and she slipped on a manhole cover, but besides that she corners great. I bought a digital pressure guage and keep the pressure right on. Great investment, especially since our lives depend on it.

I have noticed on slow turns she likes to be angled more, and I counter weight since it is so slow (stupid cars in front of me).

·
HOLY RODKNOCKERS !
156 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to check front-end bolts too ! their have been problems with them being loose. goodluck!

·
Gone
545 Posts
SMOKIN ROD said:
Wouldn't hurt to check front-end bolts too ! their have been problems with them being loose. goodluck!
:them: :them: I had major wobble problems and all mine turned out to be associated with the :banghead: front end.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
B.murphy said:
I was wondering about the way my bike was turning.It seems in sweeping turns that it feel like the rear wants to slide out even a wobble sort of feel to it.Is that because of the tire size or something else.It is a stock dx as fare as tire size.I would appreciate any oppinions about this.
I don't have what you describe but I have felt it before.. It can be caused by the road with the wavy lines cut in it for better traction but will cause issues with bikes. Next time you feel it, look at the road and see if you are on such a road. Just a thought anyhow.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
I have the anorexic 180 and I had the same experience during the first 200 miles. After that, it seemed to be fine. I think it's the traction during the first few hundred miles of the tires that causes it too.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
Mine does it if I have the rear set to 12" ride height. When I dump it all the way, or raise it to 13" (stock my year) it's very stable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There was 4 psi in the rear tire i brought it up to 5 and i seems alot better now,Thanks.I still will take the advice as fare as getting the front end stuff looked at also.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
4 PSI in rear??? should be like 38-40 psi on the dunlop I believe

edit: yup rear 38-40
front 36 psi for a 180 anyway

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
B.murphy said:
There was 4 psi in the rear tire i brought it up to 5 and i seems alot better now,Thanks.I still will take the advice as fare as getting the front end stuff looked at also.
4 psi?? You sure you didn't drop a 0 off that number? 50 PSI for two up riding maximum load.. otherwise 40 is about the standard..

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I thought he may have meant Bar, but 36psi = 2.48 Bar

For Solo rider on a DX:
Front - 36psi (2.48 bar)
Back (240) - 38psi (2.62 bar)

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
I hope he's ok....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts