Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting a wobble at 100 on my 08 night rod special. Changed swing arm Bearings spacers. New front end fork brace. And and @&$)(?/ Pingel steering damper. And still a @&$ !?( wobble. Anyone had this happen.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Check your steering head bearings. Could just need fall away adjusted. Or they could be full of rust(not uncommon) Something to check anyway.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Where is wobble? In handle bars, ass end? Could also be a bent wheel. But I too believe it is probably as the others said.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speed balanced tires not that. Neck I will check again the wobble is whole bike if that makes any sense. Not a tank slap from front it feels like whole bike does it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is the belt running true to back wheel? Is belt in pulley ok? Is the cush drive ok? Engine mounts ok? Take a pry bar or a long screw driver to the rear of oil pan lift up and see how much the engine moves.When running at speed disengage clutch and see if it stops. Are the rear shocks set equally. Are the bushings good? How are the tires wearing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im rechecking everything today I’ll get back to you thanks. Tiers are good pulley is good. Bushings are good but before I changed bars, mids rims it never did it. I put back original rims and tires to see if it was tat and it still does it. Thanks rob.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Im rechecking everything today I’ll get back to you thanks. Tiers are good pulley is good. Bushings are good but before I changed bars, mids rims it never did it. I put back original rims and tires to see if it was tat and it still does it. Thanks rob.
No problem. Did not know u changed wheels.:oops:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok changed wheels to the new ones neck was to tight so he redid it to spec. No grinding or dust.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Just a thought - I had a Triumph with a steering problem - it would go left OK but difficult to go right - kinda pushed back to straight up & down from leaned over - weird, also had a slight vibration when turning right bu smooth straight ahead. When I got home from the mountains I jacked it up and found that it had an internal belt separation on the outer third right side of the tire and was rising & falling about 1/4 " in diameter. It was an older rear tire but still in really good shape, that got me checking NHTSA website and low & behold the sister Avon tire to it was in recall die to accidents resulting in injuries and deaths due to separation. You're tires, wheels probably OK since you changed them out but recheck trueness -so that leaves mids & bars - same Triumph had a handlebar riser bolt get loose & backed out got a head shake luckily found it before it put me on my A$$. Check everything you changed out for tightness - lower frame rails also. Does it get better when you put your weight on the highway pegs ? How much do you weigh where are your rear shocks preload set to Harold346 ? I like the hand guards but if all else fails remove them and retest it might be interacting with the front tire tread and setting up a shake / wobble.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ok changed wheels to the new ones neck was to tight so he redid it to spec. No grinding or dust.
U said changed wheels to new ones. What, are they the stock wheels u changed to? You said the wheels are true. How were they checked? Normally I to would think tires. Jack it up run rear wheels and look at it. Did u try and ride it releasing the clutch to see if it changes? How about the faring. Try it with it removed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It didn’t do it before I changed the bike up. So I put on the stock rims and tiers and it still did it. Can’t be the handle bars I took of faring still did it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It didn’t do it before I changed the bike up. So I put on the stock rims and tiers and it still did it. Can’t be the handle bars I took of faring still did it.
And u tried the clutch thing I spoke of? Next would be to put it on a dyno to see how it acts. Just run it no tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Then the only thing left you disturbed is installation of the mid controls - check alignment of wheels front to rear per manual, tire trueness, wheel to axle tightness on the jack and engine alignment - The mids puts more rider weight aft on bike you might need the preload set up higher on shocks - try that set to 4 or 5 and If you go 100 with your feet on the highway pegs if may minimize or eliminate it. My R model at 135+ is rock solid and feels like it's on rails, it's almost too stable so yea, you just gotta keep peeling off the layers of the onion to get to the root problem, let us know what you find out !

1 - 20 of 43 Posts