Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '13 Muscle with Street Glide inner and outer fairing, wind shield with trim, bra, mounting brackets, double din radio (Sony AX700) with six speakers, and 7" JW Speaker headlight with lighted trim.

I get a pronounced front-end wobble around 50-70 mph when changing lane or sudden shift. Tires have less than 3k miles, properly inflated.

Questions: Will heavier springs correct issue? (currently have progressive upgrades)
Is there a way to adjust existing springs?
Would different tires help? (Pirelli Night Dragons)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Springs will not make any difference. Could be loose neck bearing (fall away) or turbulance induced. Don't rule out the tire, just because it's new. Belt shifting is still a possible. Had a brand new Dunlop do that once on my softail. Perfectly true when spinning it on the jack. With the bikes weight on it, you could see the tire wiggle side to side at slow speeds. Replaced it, no questions asked. If all else fails to fix it, look into the tire itself.
Ron

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
There was a guy on one of the other forums that had a wobble after fitting one of these style fairings and cured it by changing the angle the fairing was mounted. I guess the air was possibly going under the fairing and causing a lift effect on the front end.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
After checking the tire out ( and be sure inflation pressure is high enough to support that large amount of extra weight ) if that doesn't fix it I'd check where the forks are running height wise while you're riding. If they're riding too low due to the weight, or too high due to lift from the fairing that will have to be addressed. If the ride height is good the damping may need higher viscosity oil to resist reaction movement of the forks to the lane change or sudden movement. Quite a few guys here on the site have fairings installed on their V Rods check with them after reading their posts - if this problem is related to the fairing and/or weight I'm sure one of them has seen it, may have a fix for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
had identical problem on my 11vrscdx after a roadglide fairing added. Snugged up neck (trail/fall) and also put in progressive fronts with little thicker oil. no issues up to 150+mph and still great after 8 years. Also make sure the added weight is balanced, up front and in added bags, have fixed many wobble issues due to to much weight in bags or unbalanced.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a '13 Muscle with Street Glide inner and outer fairing, wind shield with trim, bra, mounting brackets, double din radio (Sony AX700) with six speakers, and 7" JW Speaker headlight with lighted trim.

I get a pronounced front-end wobble around 50-70 mph when changing lane or sudden shift. Tires have less than 3k miles, properly inflated.

Questions: Will heavier springs correct issue? (currently have progressive upgrades)
Is there a way to adjust existing springs?
Would different tires help? (Pirelli Night Dragons)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, unable to align the 7" JW Speaker Headlight….the highest adjustment is still too low. I placed a "wedge" spacer on the bottom with some improvement, but still hitting too low. This also increased the flickering of the headlight....pretty bad....I wouldn't won't to be in the vehicle in front of me at night.

Again, any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Sounds like the fairing is mounted too much nose down ? ( Would have thought it was mounted too nose up and creating lift resulting in your wobble ) But take a side view photo and look at the lines of the fairing compared to the ground - if it's OK compared to the M/C it's sold on you'll have to get another adjusting bracket or reset the one you have with a bushing - something solid that won't vibrate around causing the flicker -

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like the fairing is mounted too much nose down ? ( Would have thought it was mounted too nose up and creating lift resulting in your wobble ) But take a side view photo and look at the lines of the fairing compared to the ground - if it's OK compared to the M/C it's sold on you'll have to get another adjusting bracket or reset the one you have with a bushing - something solid that won't vibrate around causing the flicker -
I agree, also Harley has a 'natural' or 'static' state,
The exhaust system (everything for that matter) act as a stabilizer, if your exhaust is loose, or not installed right ( most all the Harley models have a static or natural state) meaning the kickstanding, and high elevation on a bike center lift can alter this state...it;s true. I replaced my rear brake master cylinder, exhaust had to come off, put it back on while on it's kickstand, and nothing on the exhaust lined up! left the center exhaust bolt off, there was a wobble llike I couldn't believe. Changed the tires 3 days later, same if not worse! Went to all the 1130 and Harley forums, not a mention of it, bad tire, bearings, steering head etc...I put the bike on the center lift, elevated so both tires still on ground but upright, loosened the exhaust, everything lined up, got the bolt in, tightened everything, bang wobble gone. If you have a center stand bike lift, with the wheel straight, loosen your fairing (assumiing you're using quick release mounts) and try lining things up as well as you can, then tighten while bars are straight. Working on a Harley on a kickstand throws things off

1 - 10 of 10 Posts