Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone know how (or where) to connect the power cable for the Zumo to the 2007 Night Rod Special? I have the service manual for the bike but nowhere does it say where to connect external peripherals such as GPS and nor does the manual for Zumo say where to connect it.

I could connect it directly to the battery terminals but then if I ever forget to turn it off, it may drain my battery?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks and regards

Vicky

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
You're going to need to get a service manual and either cut the cigarette lighter plug off the zumo and hardwire it into a ground wire and a wire that's on when the ignition is on. Or you can leave the cigarette lighter plug intact and hardwire in a lighter socket the same way so you can plug and unplug it. There is (are) accessory circuit(s) on the bike, but I don't have my book or the bike with me right now to tell you anything about them. I tapped into a couple wires to power my shift light.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Depending on how comfortable you are with this wiring thing, you might want to either splice into the headlight wiring harness under the left side cover, or directly off the battery.

The orange wire with white stripe is an accessory power wire. It will be "hot" when the ignition is running, or when the bike ignition is in the accessory position. You can ground the wire to any ground.

Best of luck.

RJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Hello RJ,

Thanks for the response. Currently I have wired the Zumo to the battery terminals. So basically ANY Orange wire with the white stripe is live when the ignition is on but OFF otherwise? In other words, I can connect the RED wire of the Zumo to any Orange and White wire?

Please confirm. I appreciate the information.

Regards

Vicky

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
vickyb said:
Hello RJ,

Thanks for the response. Currently I have wired the Zumo to the battery terminals. So basically ANY Orange wire with the white stripe is live when the ignition is on but OFF otherwise? In other words, I can connect the RED wire of the Zumo to any Orange and White wire?

Please confirm. I appreciate the information.

Regards

Vicky
Yes. That is correct.

The caveat: Your bike is an INTERNATIONAL model. If there is a small 5 watt light bulb in your headlight, it is powered off this same wire. On domestic bikes, this wire isn't used.

RJ

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'd be sure to wire to the accessory position. Wiring to a hot lead will likely run the battery down. Also, I'm assuming the Zumo wants to see 12V? Some devices have a voltage regulator in the cigarette plug that steps the voltage down. No matter what you do, be sure there is a fuse in the circuit, as close as possible to the power source (stiff happens!).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm

Mine is a Canadian Model. I guess that makes it an International with respect to the US.

Currently I have it wired to the battery directly and the Red wire does have a fuse on it

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Just be sure to unplug the thing at night. It will run down the battery (guess how I know?)

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
vickyb said:
Mine is a Canadian Model. I guess that makes it an International with respect to the US.

Currently I have it wired to the battery directly and the Red wire does have a fuse on it
If you wire it directly to the orange with white stripe wire, it will be protected by a 15amp fuse (the accessory fuse). FWIW

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any ideas where I can locate the accessory wire closest to the battery?

thanks all for your help

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
vickyb said:
Any ideas where I can locate the accessory wire closest to the battery?

thanks all for your help
The best place to tap into it is at the headlight connector. It's closest to the handle bar where you will mount your GPS.

The other place to tap into the wiring is the distribution boxes under the air cover in front of the seat.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Don't know about the Zumo, but the Nuvi charges the battery in the GPS when it is off and plugged in.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I tapped for my shift light under seat, I don't remember what the wire was for, I just used cheesey wire taps, if your tapping where it can be exposed to the weather or getting wet, I would snip the wires, splice the three pieces of wire together using solder and seal it with quality shrink tubing, I don't trust the wire taps I used for anything that can get wet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts