Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble with the install of a Dakota Digital MCV-7000 insrument cluster on a 2004 VRSCA V-Rod. I got a wiring diagram from Harley, but some of the wiring doesn't match with the instructions.

Here's the Dakota Digital instrutions
red - +12V with key on
white/red - constant fused +12V battery power
black - ground
yellow - tach signal
purple - high beam
orange - L turn
green - R turn
blue - nutural
gray - low oil pressure
white/blue - engine indicator
white - output speed signal
brown - fuel level sensor

Here's what I'm having problems with:

DD red wire - HD orange/white or red/orange?
DD White/red - Nothing listed in instructions.
DD yellow - HD has no pink
DD white/blue - HD has no black/yellow. maybe grey is ignition?
DD white - HD has no white/green. not sure where this goes
DD brown - HD yellow/white maybe?

The HD wiring diagram shows
red/orange - battery (have power but not sure if connected to correct power source)
white - high beam (working)
violet - L turn (working)
brown - R turn (working)
black - ground (working)
grey - ignition
ltgrn/violet - data bus
BLANK - VSS out (vehicle speed sensor)
green/yellow - oil press
tan - nutural (working)
yellow/white - fuel level
orange white - accessory

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
MCV 7200 install

Here is what I did.
'
Wiring harness DD Gauge wiring
1 R/O (Battery) White/red (+12 Volts constant)
2 White (Hi Beam) Purple (Hi Beam)
3 Violet (Left Turn) Orange (left turn)
4 Brown (Right Turn) Green (Right Turn)
5 Black/Green (Ground) (Black (Ground)
6 Grey (Ignition) Red (Ignition)
7 Light Green/Violet (Data Bus) Not used
8 Vss Out (Vehicle Speed Sensor) 3-pin plug Green (Speed sensor)
9 Green/Yellow (Oil Pressure) Grey (Oil Pressure)
10 Tan (Neutral) Blue (Neutral)
11 Yellow/White (Fuel Level) Brown (Fuel Level)
12 Orange/White (Accessories) Not used
'
Red and Black wires on the 3 pin connector are not used.
'
'
Check the attachment. It is easier to read.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll give it a try!

So the red from the DD harness is not used either?
And on the 3 pin connector, do you just cut the red and black? I plugged mine into the stock plug and it seems to be working.
No tach?

Gotta get out riding!
:moped:

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Pin 6.
The other two wires on the 3 pin connector are not used. I just coiled them up around the cable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MCV 7200 install

Here is what I did.
'
Wiring harness DD Gauge wiring
1 R/O (Battery) White/red (+12 Volts constant)
2 White (Hi Beam) Purple (Hi Beam)
3 Violet (Left Turn) Orange (left turn)
4 Brown (Right Turn) Green (Right Turn)
5 Black/Green (Ground) (Black (Ground)
6 Grey (Ignition) Red (Ignition)
7 Light Green/Violet (Data Bus) Not used
8 Vss Out (Vehicle Speed Sensor) 3-pin plug Green (Speed sensor)
9 Green/Yellow (Oil Pressure) Grey (Oil Pressure)
10 Tan (Neutral) Blue (Neutral)
11 Yellow/White (Fuel Level) Brown (Fuel Level)
12 Orange/White (Accessories) Not used
'
Red and Black wires on the 3 pin connector are not used.
'
'
Check the attachment. It is easier to read.
Howdy there, hope you’re doing through the crisis! Sorry about my lack of common sight, but what color/ how should I identify the vss wire on the harness in order to connect it to the Dakota green speed sensor?
Thanks in advance
Marc

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
On the V-Rod the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) does not have wire of its own. The ECM gets its input from the VSS sensor on pin 33 and sends the signal to the stock Instrument module via the data bus which is why there is no individual wire for the VSS. You need to tap off that wire somehow. Its been 12 years since I installed my gauge so I do not remember just how I did It but I suspect I installed a "Y" connector at the ECM pin 33 and ran the wire from there to the gauge.
You might check a wiring diagram for your year and model bike to ensure pin 33 is the correct pin on the ECM.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks a lot for the input, it's me or there are some variants on the wiring but the same results at the end?
Mine is a 2003 vrsca and hooking a mcv 7000.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Thanks a lot for the input, it's me or there are some variants on the wiring but the same results at the end?
Mine is a 2003 vrsca and hooking a mcv 7000.
According to a 2003 Service manual wiring diagram Pin 33 (White) is the VSS speed sensor input to the ECM. I hooked up a MCV 7200. Same electronics different external casing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's what I did, would you like to give me your input? I'm zero on wiring and electrical and after installing the DD MVC7000 bike stalled a couple times while on the road😖, I have left to setup the revs and perhaps did engine wrong? then gear.
Stock vrsca: MVC7000
Red/ Or: Battery Wh/ Rd: 12v Speed Sensor 3 pin
Or/Wht:Accy Rd: Igni
Yel/Wht: Fuel Lv Blk: Ground
Why: H Beam Prp: H Beam
Tan: Neut Org: Lf turn
Prp: Lf Turn Grn: Rg turn
Brw: Rg Turn Blu: Neut
Blk: Grnd Grey: Oil
Grn/Yel: Oil Pres Wh/ Blu: Engine
Gry: Igni Wh: output Spd Sig
Lg Grn/ Prp: Data. Bra: Fuel level

THEN I HOOKED THIS WAY: V-ROD DAK DIG
Grey Red
Yel/Wht Brw
Tan Blue
Prp Orag
Wht Purp
Brw Green
Lg Grn/ Prp Yell
Rd/ Or Wh/ Rd
Blk Blk
Or/ Wh Wh/ Blu
Grn/ Yel Grey
none White not used
I plugged the provided speed sensor and calibrated and seems working fine with stock port, switched Oil pressure, switched Fuel, but have no rpms yet and gear. Also I don't remember what I set on engine, according to DD I should set "1". Again, I'm not very seasoned on wiring nor electrical. What m I missing or letting out of the equation that can make it stall?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
What works and what doesn't work on the DD device. That should give you a clue if anything is not wired correctly. How did you connect the pins to the wires?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 3 pin connector? I just used the one that came with the speedo (3 pin triangular connector) plugged to my vrod port then to the mvc 7000.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For the tach I hooked vrod light green purple wire to Dakota yellow wire. can't say yet if it'll work or no, usb trying to set it up now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Enrico
Registered

Joined Aug 20, 2004
8 Posts
#5 Sep 11, 2004
Dakota Digital HLY-3015

"Here the last comments from Dakota Digital on the HLY-3015:

The tach can be hooked to either the Coil F, or the Coil R....then
just set our cylinder selection to "1", this is done on the setup
of the gauge, during the installation process.

Also...in this case, you will not need to use the speed output from
our unit. Basically, just hook directly to the signal wire coming
from the speed sensor (the other wires are power and ground). This
will just hook to the speed input of our control box. Because
you're just connecting parrallel to the ECM, you will not need to
use our speed output. Does this make more sense?

I would like to thank Scott of DD for his fantastic support."

I just came back trying to make the tach work and it doesn't, also it keeps stalling a low revs. I found this post and wonder if I can hook the yellow Dakota tach wire into the negative wire of either coil and make it work...

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
I spliced the yellow (tach signal ) wire into the rear coil yell/Blue wire and it works nicely. You could splice it to the front coil also with no problems.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a pre-wired Dakota Digital guage sitting in a box. In the end I didn't like the display.

Here is how I went about the process.

I purchased the female connect for the HD gauge and made a separate wiring harness for the guage. I hate cutting into an OEM wire harness if I don't have to.

I used the wiring diagram for the Vrod gauge and matched it up to the wiring diagram for the Dakota digital gauge. I purchased the round universal gauge, and it didn't have some of the functions that the actual gauge has, so I left those spots blank.I know that this is general information now, but maybe it will come in handy.

It's much easier to make this a separate wire harness on a counter then plug it in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you for the feedback, I already pre wired it to the rear coil as Rusty advice though, but your input sounds very headache free also. Basically I took the yellow tach wire on the Dakota and got it ready to splice it tomorrow. I hope to be doing the right wire on the rear coil as in the pic (yellow with thin blue line across). I did some speedo upgrades in the past but wiring was mostly straight plug or got someone doing it, but the mvc 7000 while not rocket science really got my nerve, and seems like different year models vrods actually wire very different. In my case I just wired the stock speed sensor on the tranny to the gauge connector that came with the Dakota, and while I missed one mile up while set up it works just fine, though I wired wrongly the tach to the old tach speedo and then it stall when revving low or approaching a street junction. Also I think that I lost the turn signal self canceling, since I have to switch it back to turn it off.
IMG_8078.jpg IMG_7218.jpg IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_8078.jpg
IMG_7218.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't remember if I lost the turn signal cancellation.

It seems like you have it working. The good news is short of wiring the 12v power and ground incorrectly you wont ruin the gauge, all that will happen is the function won't work.

I recall having an issue with the vss and speed signal, and had to move things around until everything started working.

As long as you have a good connection it shouldn't really matter which coil you spliced into. The stalling issue might have been due to a poor connection when you spliced the wires together, pretty easy thing to happen even if you are soldering.

Another suggestion: I jacked up the rear wheel and ran the bike in place, it saved me time from having to ride the bike around the block to see if everything is working.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Howdy there, I just spliced it this morning, turn it on and voila!! I have revs reading now. I’ll take her to the street when back at home to see if the stalling was fixed. Thank you for all your advice as well Rusty. I’m wicked intended to build a small batch of minimalistic/ bobber vrods and the dakotas are vital part for the upgrades. My brother in law build/ customize bikes for Europe and he helps a lot but mostly on frame/ structure (He made a bunch of cafes, naked, basically old school -boring- guy, so mine is pretty much the Frankenrod to make it happens 😬
Next step is to get done with the mono swing-arm and assemble it. Then some minor look details.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts