Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm much better at doing then explaining and even worse at holding a camera with one hand while trying to take pictures of what I'm doing so feel free to ask questions about anything I leave out.

This is how you remove the wires from the connectors only, it will show how to break down the two different types of connectors found that go through the drag bars.

This is the left hand switch wiring you will find the right hand is the same. And I always suggest taking a piece of paper and make yourself a picture of the plug and the locations of each color wire before you start.

These are the tools I like for doing this you may find that a safety pin works just a well for releasing the wires.

The first connector is a deutsche connector that uses a lock that pushes in from the front of the plug, it is tight so take the blade of a small screw driver and gently pry it out forward.

It will pop and then come forward.

Then just pull it out all the way.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After you have the lock out you will need to pull the seal down the back side of the connector by using either your pin or small screwdriver and prying it down the wires to make them easier to seperate.

Then slide it far enough down to allow the wires to be removed one at a time.

Then if you look in the face that you pulled the lock out you will see plastic fingers about half way down that hold each wire in place.

If you use your pick or pin and push the fingers toward the center of the plug while pulling on the wire it will release and come out the rear.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To reinstall each wire they simply push back up and snap lock in place when they get to the top.

The turn signal wiring is much easier, it has a single plug for both sides, remember to write down you wire colors and make a drawing again.

You will see a flap on the back side that latches on both sides, simply push them to the outside and the flap will open up.

Then stick your pick or needle down the face of the plug looking for a finger similar to what the deutsche connector had while pulling on the wire from the rear.

To reinstall they just push in and lock and the cover flap will latch in place when you snap it over the rear.

To reinstall the deutsche lock don't fight with it, it's more important to be gentle and move the plug around to reinstall it. When you have it lined up correctly and all the fingers in place it will easily push down to almost the bottom and then the last 1/8 inch it will snap.

Max

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Max.... The metal end of the wire doesn't have a detent? The plastic end covers hold the assy together?. This is different than the Delphi weather pacs that we have at work. Thanks Max

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VrodG that is correct, unlike most delphi or hp terminals these have no release on the metal ends rather they use plastic tabs that hold the wires in place.

·
Petrolhead
414 Posts
Max : Excellent post

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I gotta confess. I tried, unsuccessfully, to get the turn signal connectors out of the molded plug. I spent a couple of hours, and used every trick I know. And I did do what he shows in the pic. To no avail.
I didn't know Max then. If there is a next time, I'm driving over to his shop and have him show me.

Dan:notworthy

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Perfect Instructions (seemed if I ran the small flathead down the inside of the clip, the wires in the Deutsch came right out). - THX Max....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts