Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wiring Garmin Nuvi 1490T GPS to the 04 B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490T GPS in my truck and have it attached to the 04 B using an eCaddy mounting system that utilizes the Harley-Davison handgrip screws. I tried using the existing 12 volt SAE 2 pigtail connector that I use on my battery tender to plug into a pigtail-cigarette lighter adaptor specifically for the GPS unit. When I plugged in the unit into the cigarette lighter, the unit went into a cycle of thinking it was being plugged into a desktop computer, then said it was loading maps, then asked for my password and before I had a chance (and it did not matter if I entered the password or not) kept recycling thru all the phases and would not get into the normal navigation phase. Since the pigtail that I use for the battery tender is obviously hot wired to the battery, I am wondering if I have to connect the unit using a motorcycle wire adaptor and wire it to a different power source like one of the fuses that is not connected to the hot battery bus. It works great on its own battery power, but only lasts a few hours before needing to be recharged. I have tried to contact Garmin, but have not heard from them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

1 - 3 of 3 Posts