Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490T GPS in my truck and have it attached to the 04 B using an eCaddy mounting system that utilizes the Harley-Davison handgrip screws. I tried using the existing 12 volt SAE 2 pigtail connector that I use on my battery tender to plug into a pigtail-cigarette lighter adaptor specifically for the GPS unit. When I plugged in the unit into the cigarette lighter, the unit went into a cycle of thinking it was being plugged into a desktop computer, then said it was loading maps, then asked for my password and before I had a chance (and it did not matter if I entered the password or not) kept recycling thru all the phases and would not get into the normal navigation phase. Since the pigtail that I use for the battery tender is obviously hot wired to the battery, I am wondering if I have to connect the unit using a motorcycle wire adaptor and wire it to a different power source like one of the fuses that is not connected to the hot battery bus. It works great on its own battery power, but only lasts a few hours before needing to be recharged. I have tried to contact Garmin, but have not heard from them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated......

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I have connected my Garmin Nuvi 660 and Nuvi 550 the same way without issue. I can't think of what might cause your Garmin to behave this way. If your tender works right, the polarity is obviously correct. Perhaps too high a voltage?

·
Dean
775 Posts
Not sure I follow?

You are using a cigarette lighter adapter that you are plugging into the pigtail of the battery tender......then you are using the cord that you use in the car's 12V or cigarette lighter?

I only ask because I am running a similar setup and it works fine. I will admit that when I first plugged in my GPS I was using the cord for my blackberry and I was receiving a similar result.

When I used the car charger for the GPS, it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Plugging in using the usb port will do this. If you're using the main plug, check operation in a car to see if it does the same thing. If not then your plug is off somehow. If it does then its the unit setup or a problem with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only thing that I can think of is that the gps is only getting 6 volts and 6 volts is the amount of power a usb supplies. so maybe it thinks its being powered by a usb because it's only getting 6 volts.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
The gps runs on 5 volts as a normal thing, this is why you need the adaptor to bring the 12 down to 5 volts.

Check the adaptor for wiring to the cigarette power socket, the exposed pin should be positive as the shielded socket is positive on the bike to prevent shorts and sparks.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
The only thing that I can think of is that the gps is only getting 6 volts and 6 volts is the amount of power a usb supplies. so maybe it thinks its being powered by a usb because it's only getting 6 volts.
if you give that GPS 12v, it will instantly become a paperweight! Double check the wire tines inside the usb port on the gps. Is there anything in there causing two or more tines to contact each other?
If you are using the same adapter as you do in your car, then there shouldn't be any issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks to all, for your replies. I might have an idea what is wrong. If the same wiring setup works for Vroder's Nuvi 550 and 660 Garmins, then it should work for my Nuvi 1490T. Del518 mentioned he had similar issues when he used his blackberry power cord to power his GPS. I decided (poor judgement on my part) to order a cheap Chinese set of power adaptors: pigtail to cig lighter, cig lighter to Nuvi GPS and wall charger. All of these were supposed to be specific for the Nuvi 1490T. I think the cheap cig lighter to GPS adaptor is not allowing the proper current to the unit. I will try it with my original Garmin cig lighter from the unit. I wanted to have both vehicles wired up with no hanging or exposed cords and Garmin accessories are very expensive. I will try the Garmin connector and let you know how it works. After trying the "cheap power cord" the first time and having no luck, I turned the GPS unit off and it would not power back on. I thought I had fried it. I waited a little while and held the power button in for about 20 seconds and it came back on. Whew! So hopefully using the original cig lighter to GPS power cord will work and I won't fry the unit this time. Any suggestions for attaching the wires to preclude hanging, airstream banging or turning issues? Did you guys have to remove the air box cover to use the plastic wire fasteners to the bike? . Thanks again for all your feedback. Will advise.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Thanks to all, for your replies. I might have an idea what is wrong. If the same wiring setup works for Vroder's Nuvi 550 and 660 Garmins, then it should work for my Nuvi 1490T. Del518 mentioned he had similar issues when he used his blackberry power cord to power his GPS. I decided (poor judgement on my part) to order a cheap Chinese set of power adaptors: pigtail to cig lighter, cig lighter to Nuvi GPS and wall charger. All of these were supposed to be specific for the Nuvi 1490T. I think the cheap cig lighter to GPS adaptor is not allowing the proper current to the unit. I will try it with my original Garmin cig lighter from the unit. I wanted to have both vehicles wired up with no hanging or exposed cords and Garmin accessories are very expensive. I will try the Garmin connector and let you know how it works. After trying the "cheap power cord" the first time and having no luck, I turned the GPS unit off and it would not power back on. I thought I had fried it. I waited a little while and held the power button in for about 20 seconds and it came back on. Whew! So hopefully using the original cig lighter to GPS power cord will work and I won't fry the unit this time. Any suggestions for attaching the wires to preclude hanging, airstream banging or turning issues? Did you guys have to remove the air box cover to use the plastic wire fasteners to the bike? . Thanks again for all your feedback. Will advise.
Don't feel bad about the power cord. I went to Best Buy and ask them for a 12v power cord for my Garmin, the gave me one and when i plugged it it went to PC mode. you'd better use the original Garmin charger, or ask to make sure the aftermarket charger will not go to "PC mode"

it will be easier if you open the inner top airbox AKA going topless. I hardwired a 12V female cigarette plug to the battery and put it the airbox. everytime I use the GPS I just plug the charger there and remove when its not needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Aow. Hey, this may be just the ticket to eliminate all the excess wires. 1. Does the guy who makes the hardwire setup make one for the Garmin Nuvi? 2. Which type/size Access-a-Fuse would you recommend-the regular folding terminal fuse or the "mini-version"? http://www.accessafuse.com/access.htm 3. Do you just connect the bare red & black wires of hardwire setup to a crimp style connector and slide it on the access-a-fuse that you plugged into the ACC slot?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Don't feel bad about the power cord. I went to Best Buy and ask them for a 12v power cord for my Garmin, the gave me one and when i plugged it it went to PC mode. you'd better use the original Garmin charger, or ask to make sure the aftermarket charger will not go to "PC mode"

it will be easier if you open the inner top airbox AKA going topless. I hardwired a 12V female cigarette plug to the battery and put it the airbox. everytime I use the GPS I just plug the charger there and remove when its not needed.
Thanks andycg, My theory of "going cheap" (not using a Garmin cord) on the cig power connector is sounding better all the time. I ordered a Garmin cig ligter power adaptor today. I don't have time to monkey with it today. But tomorrow I will endeavor to get it solved. I am seriously thinking of using aow's technique of wiring it using a hardwire kit. I also like your ideas. You guys are great.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Thanks, Aow. Hey, this may be just the ticket to eliminate all the excess wires. 1. Does the guy who makes the hardwire setup make one for the Garmin Nuvi? 2. Which type/size Access-a-Fuse would you recommend-the regular folding terminal fuse or the "mini-version"? http://www.accessafuse.com/access.htm 3. Do you just connect the bare red & black wires of hardwire setup to a crimp style connector and slide it on the access-a-fuse that you plugged into the ACC slot?
1) All GPS units that have a mini USB use the same connector as the ebay link I posted. I have a Nuvi 765T and it works perfectly

2) standard size (stock size)fuse and the stock amp rating

3) yes, the red will connect to the fuse, the black needs grounded to the bike NOT THE BATTERY. I used the passenger pillion bolts as the ground

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I still have the original bars on my bike except I have run all the wires through the bars. I mount my Nuvi on a Garmin scooter mount (stronger version of the standard car mount) on a custom stainless ball I had made. I ran the wire through the bar and out the small hole for the loom keeper near the left hand grip. When I'm not using the Nuvi there is just about 3 inches of wire to keep track of, and the stainless ball doesn't look too oppressive.

Yes, I had to cut and splice the wire (it's a co-ax) to accomplish this, but with a little solder and shrink tubing it works fine. I am using the original Garmin adapter; I just ponied up and bought the extra.

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
I've done the same as you with multiple Nuvis and discovered it would think the cable is being used as a data cable when on the bike. From what I remember if you hold your finger on the battery life icon for about 10 seconds it goes to diagnostic mode, then plug in the Nuvi to the bike and then press "Back/ Exit", it will now charge AND give you the map display.
The connector was very sensitive to rain so only lasted a few days (I'd tried the connector shown above, as well as a more robust one the year after).
I gave up and bought a Zumo 660 instead of all the fuking around. My current Nuvi (1490T) now lives in the car and my pocket since it's a great unit.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
you must purchase a "charge only" cord, and there won't be an issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wiring Garmin Nuvi 1490T GPS

Well Folks, the problem I had with the GPS was corrected by using the original Garmin cig lighter connector that came with the unit. I tried going with a cheaper one that was supposed to be specific to the Nuvi 1490T. It is working well now. In the future, I am planning on connecting the unit by the hardwire setup using the access-a-fuse described in a earlier post by AOW. Now to come up with a way to keep in dry in the event of rain. Thanks again for all your tips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nuvi 1490T GPS and moisture.....

I've done the same as you with multiple Nuvis and discovered it would think the cable is being used as a data cable when on the bike. From what I remember if you hold your finger on the battery life icon for about 10 seconds it goes to diagnostic mode, then plug in the Nuvi to the bike and then press "Back/ Exit", it will now charge AND give you the map display.
The connector was very sensitive to rain so only lasted a few days (I'd tried the connector shown above, as well as a more robust one the year after).
I gave up and bought a Zumo 660 instead of all the fuking around. My current Nuvi (1490T) now lives in the car and my pocket since it's a great unit.
Yeah, I really don't like the idea of the unit and most importantly, the cig lighter adaptor cord exposed to the weather. That is why I am opting for the hardwire setup. I think several outfits sell some sort of plastic covers that will still allow the touch screen capabilities.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Well Folks, the problem I had with the GPS was corrected by using the original Garmin cig lighter connector that came with the unit. I tried going with a cheaper one that was supposed to be specific to the Nuvi 1490T. It is working well now. In the future, I am planning on connecting the unit by the hardwire setup using the access-a-fuse described in a earlier post by AOW. Now to come up with a way to keep in dry in the event of rain. Thanks again for all your tips.
So, it was wired backward?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts