Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Nothing but Chrome
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember someone posting pictures and tips on treading the wire inside the V-Rod handle bars. Does anyone remember if it was on this forum. I tried a couple searchs with no luck.

Thanks
Mike

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Mike it may have been on the earlier forum we had and right now that is just a file and I'm trying to reconstruct it on this server.

If your installing the HD drag bars and want to run the wires through them it is very easy to do. The wires come with a shield cover over most of them so what I did was remove the wires from the connectors at the end. Then took electrical tape and taped all of the ends of the wires together and taped the wires back to the point that the cover was and then simply pushed the wires from the outside of the bars toward the middle. When they arrive near the middle I used a dental pick to pull them down from out of the bar. There is more room then you think and it is really pretty easy and the results look so much better.

Max

·
Registered
255 Posts
Trying to install this drag bar from HD ... I see they weant you to disconnect the 6 pin connector at the cluster which is fine...how the heck do I pull the wires from the 6 pins connector.... the instuctions talk about some Deustch chapter in the manual to describe this...I can't figure it out?????

I see how nice this mod is ...can anyone help me on this one...tryin to put it back together:confused:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vilzrod you will find a safety lock on the connector itself, the lock takes just a little pry and it will come right out, then I use a dental pick but a safety pin works well also to release a metal retainer on the terminal itself then the terminals pull right out the back of the connector. Make sure to write down color codes and locations before you start.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vilzrod if I get a chance tomorrow I'll pop a connector and take a picture of how the connector comes apart for you.

Max

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Do that Max. Afer an hour I gave up and cut/spliced....

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Wait until this afternoon, when I get home I'll pull a terminal out real quick and take a pic or two of the tabs.

Max

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a dealer install drag bars on my bike, while it was in for other work. They hit me up for 3 hrs. labor, to do the bars. They told me that normally it was 1 hour for bars, but to run the wires through the bars would be another 2 hours. After seeing Max's fine photos, I figure that it does not look that hard. For the people that have gone the drag bar route: Do you think that 3 hrs. labor for the job is resonable?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
russbreen my first set took me about 1.5 hours total and second set was less then 1 hour from start to finish. I should add that with the first set I also added clutch and brake masters that were chrome.

Max

1 - 17 of 17 Posts