Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Larry, we have put a set on and they look pretty cool. Keep in mind that you will also need new rotors, we used some rotors off a wide glide. The rims will work with the stock pulley though.

Also, the front rim is bit thinner than the stock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
phxms:
Went to tne american wire wheel site. Could not find a motorcycle wheel. Found clothes, bags housewares, auto products and more junk. Not sure they care about selling wheels.
I'm not a computer expert but they should expect people like me.

Do you know if their wheels work with the stock rotors and pulley?

Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
85 Posts
You're right Larry, it seems like they are hiding the fact that they sell wheels. Luckily they're not in the web design business either...the wheel link is way up at the top and only after drilling down a few pages do you find anything mentioning V-Rod fittment. http://www.americanwire.com/60_spoke.htm

It looks like they can make a 100-, 80- or 60-spoke version.

The note at the bottom of their page indicates you need a late model FLH type rotor kit, but doesn't mention whether you can use the stock pulley.

It looks like it's gonna take a phone call to get any real info out of them.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Hi Larry,
Most running a 18 X 3.5 go to a 130 tire. I see two issues. First, there will be a pretty large gap between the top of the shorter tire and the fender. Second, I think that it may handle a bit heavy with the wider front tire.

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
John:
You make a good point about the 130s. I could probably live with these if there were no alternatives. It’s hard to believe that a proper size rim dose not exist yet. I like the look of wire wheels so I’m going to talk with the wheel makers and see if they have any plans to create the proper size.

Oozy:
What size front wheel did you use and what were the results?

Thanks again
Larry

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Larry,
Another issue I neglected to mention with a wider front tire could be air flow to the radiator. If anyone watched The Birth of The V-Rod, you know how critical air flow is and that the front wheel pushes air around the radiator.

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John:

You’re absolutely correct. One of the things that impressed me watching Birth of the V-Rod was the delicate balance to obtain proper airflow to the rad.
I think I’ll wait.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts