Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of putting Wire 17" Wheels on my VRSCR..

Weight, ease of install and wide array of tire options etc..

Anyone done this ?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I'm not so sure you will save any weight this way. On the front you could use the VRSCAW/VRSCX hub and brake rotors and have Buchanan's Spoke and Rim lace up a 17 inch wheel, but I don't have a clue what you would do for a spoked rear wheel. I guess you could steal a page from me and use a Sportster wire wheel rear hub and custom spacing for the disc and pulley. It's doable, but you might not realize the weight savings you anticipate.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are many custom and reasonable wheel options when it comes to wire wheels
Even Aluminum...Check out these

http://www.hdwheels.com/Product.htm

My Thoughts are will be easier than the Buell Wheel Mod or the one you did with the XR1200 ??

Haven't done it yet so was looking for some input...

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts

My Thoughts are will be easier than the Buell Wheel Mod or the one you did with the XR1200 ??

Call them and see what they can do for you. I would be very curious about their pulley choices and method of mounting. Keep in mind you will want to change the pulley sizes to keep the overall gearing the same if you switch to a smaller 17 inch rear wheel, and this has implications for belt length. Working that out and finding a belt the correct length was one of the hardest parts of my XR wheel conversion. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
99 Posts

From looking at the web site, it looks like this will be a simple bolt-on installation with the proper hubs ordered. Not sure about you being able to get hubs for the stock R front brake rotors with their wide bolt pattern. That's a simple fix though by using rotors from another Harley model that uses Brembo calipers.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
From looking at the web site, it looks like this will be a simple bolt-on installation with the proper hubs ordered. Not sure about you being able to get hubs for the stock R front brake rotors with their wide bolt pattern. That's a simple fix though by using rotors from another Harley model that uses Brembo calipers.
The front rotors are not a problem. You can use the rotors from the VRSCAW/VRSCX. I use these with my XR-1200 wheels front and rear. What I would be very curious about is their choices for pulleys and belts. If you keep the stock pulleys you will lower the gearing noticeably due to the smaller diameter rear tire. Keep us posted, it's interesting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is worth here is the response..they didn't respond to the 17" question but..

Hello,

Your rim options will be:

Front:

19x3.5 Sun aluminum rim (Not available in Excel)

19x3.0 Apollo aluminum rim

19x3.0 Apollo-SL aluminum rim

Rear:

18x5.5 Excel aluminum rim (Not available in Sun)

18x5.5 Apollo aluminum rim

18x5.5 Apollo-SL aluminum rim

Please specify number of spokes, lacing style, finishing options, ...

My recommendation:

19x3.0, Apollo-SL rim, 60 polished stainless steel spokes, Cross lacing, Black rim and hub - $960

18x5.5, Apollo-SL rim, 60 polished stainless steel spokes, Cross lacing, Black rim and hub - $1210 (for stock V-Rod pulley)

Regards,

Andrei Rybkin

HDW

21352 Nordhoff St, Suite 114

Chatsworth, CA 91311

Phone: (818) 887-9065

E-mail: [email protected]

Web Site: www.hdwheels.com

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Call Buchanan, they will make anything you want and their quality is the best. Looking at V-Rod General Sharkey has a set of PM wheels he is showing. If you look at them you can see that Performance Machine appears to make adapters and a rear isolator bowl to allow the use of stock V-Rod pulleys and brake rotors on their wheels. I would think these adapters and the isolator bowl would bolt up to any HD style hub.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If PM does make the adapters and would sell separately, that could possible open the door for virtually any HD wheel...or at least a good many..?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Philthy...I have to ride by Buchanan's they are only 2 blocks from my office....forest ...trees LOL

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoke with Larry at Eagle HD in Indiana 765-448-9132 they are alive and well and still doin a Buell Conversion for VRODS not however my VRSCR. He said never had the R front end to work on so.....

Thought someone did a Buell / VRSCR Conversion.

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
I'm running the 17 in buell rims on my R now...don't know why he said that......i am using a custom front caliper bracket fabricated by BAD-VR. I shed 24 lbs of weight in the process and the first ride with them was mind blowingly awesome. You can definitely feel the difference.

So wire rims? really? this is supposed to be the sporty version....:hidesbeh:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what are you doing in the Rear...?

Are you running the Newer Buell XB Wheel with that large rotor ?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
If PM does make the adapters and would sell separately, that could possible open the door for virtually any HD wheel...or at least a good many..?
Call PM and ask. They are a great bunch. I used to live a few blocks from their factory, they have a really cool little motorcycle museum. Their tech people have all the dimensions for the various wheels and bikes, know what fits what and what doesn't. I'm sure they will sell the adapters. They helped me out with dimensions when I put the XR-1200 wheels on my R.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Another sporty wire job....
That bike has the Brake Tech 320 mm rotor conversion kit on it. Now, take those wheels with the brake rotor adapters and isolator bowl from those Performance Machine wheels and you're there. You would want a 30T front pulley at least however, or the gearing will be way too low with that 17 inch rear wheel. I guess you could also use the 70 tooth pulley from a Soft Tail on them with no special adapters, but the pulley would not be rubber isolated. I seem to recall there was a compatible width belt for that pulley from S&S.

·
Markku
985 Posts
This reminded me that i thought about different wheels too couple years ago and i made one crappy photoshop pic of my bike then... I kinda liked the way that it would look

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts