Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know folks like Maxx don't have to worry about winterizing the V-Rod for storage because of living in sunny warm Texas. But here in Minnesota it gets cold, really cold in the winter.

I have already put the bike inside my house, to keep her warm for the winter.

Does anyone have tips or tricks for winterizing the V-Rod?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The V-Rod is different than any other motorcycle I have ever owned. It may have some different winterizing techniques that various people know.

For instance, one of the mechanics told me that I don't need to top off the fuel tank before storage. My understanding of the reason they normally suggest a top off, is to reduce the exposed surface area of a steel tank to avoid condensation and rust forming inside the gas tank. Since the V-Rod gas tank is plastic, the mechanic said it won't matter how much gas is in the bike. Furthermore he suggested to run the tank low, and then add stabil. The mechanic asserted that old gas gets bad if it has stabil or not, and if you only have 1/4 of a tank of "old" gas that is better than a full tank of "old" gas.

There I shared a bit of knowledge, feel free to join in.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
The "best" way to protect the V-Rod's fual system is to totally drain it. As mentioned above, you don't have to worry about the plastic gas tank rusting out - but over three or four months any gas remaining will get somewhat skunky.

One thing I can absolutely recommend is spotlessly cleaning the stock wheels before you put the bike away. Any brake dust left on the rims will combine with moisture or condensation and leave a nasty discoloration for you to contend with once bike-polishing season comences in the spring-time.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
VRODDREW

Do not run the fuel tank dry!!! The V-Rod has a electric fuel pump in the tank that uses gas as a lubercate. Runnig the tank dry can cause premature burning out of the motor as the brushes do not have any lubercation, and the pump has no load to control the pump's rpms.

-Bry

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out - I guess I should have said that you should pump or siphon the tank dry rather than running it till it quits....

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am going to ride mine, but I have heard if you don't you should run a battery tender to keep the battery up. They are calling for snow either tonight or tomorrow morning, and be bad weather all weekend; looks like the next time I can ride will be next week.

Dave

·
DX Rider
630 Posts
Most motorcycle riders can get through winter having a fuel stabilizer in the tank and the battery on a battery tender. Simple. This is all that really needs to be done. Plus, it enables the winter ride when the weather undoubtedly will cooperate... and it will, even in Minnesota. Has worked for me many years in the high and cold Colorado Rockies. But if you have no interest in getting out for four-five months, then I would probably do the fluid draining/changing thing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
What about a complete oil and filter change.....I have heard that used oil has a build up of acids, contaminants , etc. that can be harmful overtime?

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
HAWG100 said:
What about a complete oil and filter change.....I have heard that used oil has a build up of acids, contaminants , etc. that can be harmful overtime?
I've also heard that there is moisture in the oil.

I have learned from past expieriences,not to rapidly change the temperatures where you are storing it.Try to keep it at a constant temp.

·
F2NV
1,776 Posts
A few things -
1 - a good wash/wax
2 - lubing with silicone spray, grease, graphite powder, etc to applicable parts
3 - stabil in remaining preferably ethanol free fuel
4 - rags or similar in exhaust pipe to keep mice and other animals out
5 - depending on time since last service - oil change, brake flush, coolant flush etc
6 - motorcycle cover

To me a battery tender is great year round and has helped my batteries last ~4 years

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fuel stabilizer.
Battery tender.
No problem, but I live in New Jersey.
If you are concerned about the extreme cold, take the battery out, connect it to a battery tender in the house if there is a safe place for it such as a basement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always add fuel stabilizer at the end of the year and fill the tank. Riding it back from the gas station is enough to get the stabilizer through the fuel injection system. Then connect the battery tender.
I do this every year, and every spring my V-Rod starts in less than 2 seconds since I bought it new in 2002.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok same locale as you and here is what I did last year when storing in unheated garage. (Worked great btw)

1. Cleaned top to bottom then polished and waxed
2. Added Sta-bil to the fuel
3. Changed oil/filter, plugs, and air filter
4. Covered the intake and both exhaust holes with heavy duty plastic zip tied in place
5. Battery tender plugged in
6. Put the bike up on a scissors jack to take the weight of the tires (non-hydraulic unless you have a hard lock version - Important!)
7. Covered w/ motorcycle cover

I've also seen it recommended to fog the cylinders, and I attempted to do that but the plug holes are so deep in the cylinder it basically just made a mess in the plug socket instead of actually fogging in the cylinder.

In the spring I added some Seafoam to the gas on the first run and the bike ran perfect all year.

·
F2NV
1,776 Posts
Ari Henning must have seen your question:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know folks like Maxx don't have to worry about winterizing the V-Rod for storage because of living in sunny warm Texas. But here in Minnesota it gets cold, really cold in the winter.

I have already put the bike inside my house, to keep her warm for the winter.

Does anyone have tips or tricks for winterizing the V-Rod?
Put a battery tender on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts