Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know. I can't believe I've said it either, but unfortunately for those of us up in Alaska, winter is on it's way quickly and has now effectively taken away and truly good riding weather.

My question is this. I have one of the lifts you can get from Sears. I know I don't want to leave my bike just sitting on it's tires, but are there also going to be adverse effects to the suspension by letting it rest on the lift and have the wheels basically hanging now and (at least it would seem this way to me) possible strecthing the suspension out? If thats the case, does anyone have any suggestions that might help me out?

Thanks guys. Hope everyone has fun at the Rally.

Peyton
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
It'll be just fine on the lift.
 

·
speeding safely
Joined
·
499 Posts
Winter?
What's that?

Oh- that's when the daytime high temps are below 100 degrees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Should be back up into 90 degrees this weekend here in N.C. OH, and leaving a bike on a list all winter wont hurt a thing, but make sure you plug in the battery tender, that is a must.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
SHip it to Florida. I have some friend who'll ride it for you and keep it in tip top shape! We'll ship it back.....really......:rofl:
 

·
George
Joined
·
5,411 Posts
Ya must llike winter as much as I like summer! I built one of these for my bike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jacothedog said:
SHip it to Florida. I have some friend who'll ride it for you and keep it in tip top shape! We'll ship it back.....really......:rofl:

Man you're hilarious. But if I decide to do this, consider treating my bike like a camp site or wild life area.....return it or leave it better than you found it....read "BLACK TRASK TURBO"

Thanks for the info. I know it sounded like a retarded question but I just wanted to make sure.

I took her out for what is probably her last ride today, and at the end I did my first burn out. Stalled once, it was self critiquing, and then nailed it.

Untill next year.....Hopefully by the time I unveil her next spring/summer, she'll have an air ride suspension and a totaly bobbed tail.

Once again, thanks for the help

Peyton
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
capngeo said:
Ya must llike winter as much as I like summer! I built one of these for my bike
That stand is great, you should make some for a group buy :). Someday maybe I'll get some welding skills.....

Peyton
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
What is winter?
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
PeytonVRSCD said:
That stand is great, you should make some for a group buy :). Someday maybe I'll get some welding skills.....

Peyton
Welding skills... did you say welding skills??:sinister: I've been know to weld my nuts to my co-workers chins.:angeldev: Hows that for skills??:stilpoke: :D :rofl:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Biker Bill said:
Welding skills... did you say welding skills??:sinister: I've been know to weld my nuts to my co-workers chins.:angeldev: Hows that for skills??:stilpoke: :D :rofl:

Sounds like a personal problem :stooge:
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
PeytonVRSCD said:
Sounds like a personal problem :stooge:
It's an inside joke:stilpoke:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
balius said:
:them:

Here winter is when you have to wear a light jacket in case it drizzles :D

Here winter is negative 50 degress when you can't expose skin for more than 15 to 30 seconds without risking the chance of frostbite :)) We have ice fog. It's soo damn cold that hot air doesn't even rise any more. Exhaust fumes just stay right where they are. You can judge the temp by how the ice fog is acting.

Enjoy your "winter"

Peyton
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
I've been to Adak in the Navy for 10 months. That fog is all yours:)
 

·
Comfortably numb!
Joined
·
1,968 Posts
PeytonVRSCD said:
Here winter is negative 50 degress when you can't expose skin for more than 15 to 30 seconds without risking the chance of frostbite :)) We have ice fog. It's soo damn cold that hot air doesn't even rise any more. Exhaust fumes just stay right where they are. You can judge the temp by how the ice fog is acting.

Enjoy your "winter"

Peyton
I have had a few nasty winter experiences. Used to spend a lot of time in Toronto, was there a few years back for their worst winter on record, -45 with wind chill... Ha, to warm up 70 degrees all you had to do was jump inside a freezer :eek:

I remember we were sooooo happy to see snow, as that meant it was much warmer, at least above zero ;)

My hats off to you for dealing with it, but man, you have some incredible scenery in the summer time!!! Ah, and I love salmon, would love to fish someday there and feast by the fire through the night (in the summer of course).

Cheers!
 

·
using the baby revo
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
don't care for winters after experiencing 3 of them at fort drum. lake effect snow blows, and snow removal detail wasn't greatest way to pass the time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
PeytonVRSCD said:
Man you're hilarious. But if I decide to do this, consider treating my bike like a camp site or wild life area.....return it or leave it better than you found it....read "BLACK TRASK TURBO"

Thanks for the info. I know it sounded like a retarded question but I just wanted to make sure.

I took her out for what is probably her last ride today, and at the end I did my first burn out. Stalled once, it was self critiquing, and then nailed it.

Untill next year.....Hopefully by the time I unveil her next spring/summer, she'll have an air ride suspension and a totaly bobbed tail.

Once again, thanks for the help

Peyton
All in good fun, man!! We are truly spoiled living where we can ride year round. Hey, PM me if you're planing any winter trips to Florida - if you're willing to rent a bike, I'll plan the ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
No garage option for me.

If I get a good cover and a lift for my bike, would it be ok during winter outside? it snows here but not "a ton".
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top