Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you change the oil before winter storage? If you do and use Synthetic during the season do you use standard oil for storage?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Just do a standard oil change with your preferred oil.
Main thing is you're getting rid of the pollutants from running form this summer. Your new oil will be fine for the following season.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Always change your oil before putting anything into storage. The bonus is in spring all you need to do is fire it up and go.

·
New but Old!
354 Posts
Always change the oil before storing. Forget about all the fairy tales about moisture and fumes and spider webs and radiation fallout.

·
Partlino
72 Posts
Change the oil, clean the bike, stabilize the gas, top off the tire pressure, put a trickle charger on the battery, cover the bike, and wait for spring.....

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Good to know. I will have about 4,000 miles on my Amsoil when it's time to put her away and I was gonna wait to spring to change. Now I'll change before she goes to sleep for the winter...

I'd rather move to Florida. ;)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
4k miles on Amsoil.... still have more than 50% life left... GET OUT AND RIDE

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
4k miles on Amsoil.... still have more than 50% life left... GET OUT AND RIDE
Haha I try to every second I get, but its getting into frigid temps here soon so I only see another few weeks of riding and limited riding at that... :(

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Haha I try to every second I get, but its getting into frigid temps here soon so I only see another few weeks of riding and limited riding at that... :(
Whuss! Grow a pair!:D
70* and sunny here. Going riding now!

·
Greg
604 Posts
Change the oil, clean the bike, stabilize the gas, top off the tire pressure, put a trickle charger on the battery, cover the bike, and wait for spring.....
Same routine here! I will be riding until the salt hits the pavement (following the first snow).

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Whuss! Grow a pair!:D
70* and sunny here. Going riding now!
Hahaha I would have been riding yesterday for sure but I had shit to do all day before work. Tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous too. I'll ride until it hits 30's or the roads are sanded. After that, no thanks. Just not enjoyable anymore and I don't feel like hitting a sand patch either. I put almost 6,000 miles on my bike since June 1st. I love to ride, just not if it's freezing.

Florida is calling my name. Seriously.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just put mine out for winter. Put fresh Synthetic Motul, new HD filter, plug in the tender and that's it.
Removing the old filter though wasn't easy... the service a$$hole who did the 1000Mi must've been angry or something.... I took the bottom radiator bracket off for access, kept wrestling the damned thing off, wouldn't budge. Punch the scewdriver through, nope... took a really long motherf*** screwdriver and slooooowly loosened the sucker. It took like a full revolution to be able to move it by hand. Unreal.
But it's done, so there... till next spring!!!

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I guess I'll change my oil before storage this year. (I didn't last year)
I put the bike away from late Nov until late March.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Never did anything to any of the bikes I ever owned. The only issue I ever had was a dead batt on the dyna. Every spring I just jump it and its fine all season. Batt was 5 y/o before I replaced it. lol

·
Partlino
72 Posts
Thats why I am a fan of the K&N oil filter. It has a 17mm hex nut built into the top. Grab it with a socket and its off with no problem.....plus, its chrome.

Just put mine out for winter. Put fresh Synthetic Motul, new HD filter, plug in the tender and that's it.
Removing the old filter though wasn't easy... the service a$$hole who did the 1000Mi must've been angry or something.... I took the bottom radiator bracket off for access, kept wrestling the damned thing off, wouldn't budge. Punch the scewdriver through, nope... took a really long motherf*** screwdriver and slooooowly loosened the sucker. It took like a full revolution to be able to move it by hand. Unreal.
But it's done, so there... till next spring!!!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Thats why I am a fan of the K&N oil filter. It has a 17mm hex nut built into the top. Grab it with a socket and its off with no problem.....plus, its chrome.
but with the K&N filter you still must change the filter every 5k miles.
With the Amsoil oil and Amsoil filter, you can go up to double (10k) miles before changing the oil or oil filter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts