Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a VERY high mileage Sept - Oct. The rally will be a 2200 mile RT, a week later we are going to Myrtle Beach and possibly St Augustine - another 1800-2800 mile RT.

Last week on a short (180 mile) trip, I was lucky enough to have a Mitzubishi run front door for me on the interstate at 95 mph. I kept him just in sight... An hour of getting buffeted at that speed was the clincher. If I'm doing two ironbutts in five days, I want to tuck out of the wind. 65-70 mph is one thing, as are quick bursts at higher speeds. 12-16 hr days of 80+ ???? Uncle. Been there, done that - and I'm getting a bit old for it...

So - I want to get a windscreen (shut up Daved). Just for these long highway stretches - so it has to come off easily and quickly when I reach my destination, leaving no hardware behind. Though I have a D, I've pulled the headlight and mini-fairing in favor of a billet headlight - so that is not an issue.

The HD touring shields are just too huge and ugly. I'm pretty sure it's between the Rifle SoloShield and the 18" Windvest. Opinions on the two? Anyone have experience with both for a side-by-side??

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
I never had both but I have a windvest. Comes off in 2 minutes with allen wrench. If you take it off at your destination don't forget to bring the old screws with you so that you can use them once you take off the Windvest. Windvest screws are a little longer. Original screws are shorter.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
luxlamf said:
Easy, PopeMobile. (Look at those chrome 22's)
Put training wheels or crash bars on that thing and then you've got something...

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scrmng E said:
I never had both but I have a windvest. Comes off in 2 minutes with allen wrench. If you take it off at your destination don't forget to bring the old screws with you so that you can use them once you take off the Windvest. Windvest screws are a little longer. Original screws are shorter.
What size windvest? How tall are you and with what seat? You out of the wind? Looking over it? Which screws are you talking about - the headlight mount?

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
What size windvest? How tall are you and with what seat? You out of the wind? Looking over it? Which screws are you talking about - the headlight mount?
I have 16" windvest. I am short, 5'6". I had the CVO seat and now a Sundowner seat and I am looking slightly over it. 18" Windvest would probably be perfect for me. I am talking about the headlight mount screws. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody got feedback on the Rifle SoloShield?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
louballs said:
i've got the windvest also, recently used it on my trip to missouri (1000 miles) didnt realize how much it helped until i took it off again!
Same questions for you: what size? How tall are you/what seat? Do you look over the shield or through it? Is your head out of the wind too? And can you adjust the shield up/down or tilt?

·
George
5,411 Posts
I have the HD Super-Sport...... Good to keep the wind off your chest, but head still gets a lot.. I was looking at the HD "Ultimate Tour" is it just the ugly you don't like?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
capngeo said:
I have the HD Super-Sport...... Good to keep the wind off your chest, but head still gets a lot.. I was looking at the HD "Ultimate Tour" is it just the ugly you don't like?
Yes - the Ultimate Tour is a GIANT slab of plastic... looks like overkill to me. I'm sure it makes riding like driving a convertible, but I don't need/want that much protection. Of the HD shields, I would consider the Quick-detach touring, but even that is big and wide...

I'm looking to keep wind off my chest and face. Don't need lowers, don't mind the wind on my arms.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the Windvest - I think this is the 14" and tinted - I want clear 18". The laminar tip is supposed to help keep your head from getting buffeted:

And this is the Rifle - a little wider, but adjustable - and $100 cheaper. It comes in clear, blue or grey tint :

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Same questions for you: what size? How tall are you/what seat? Do you look over the shield or through it? Is your head out of the wind too? And can you adjust the shield up/down or tilt?
I believe it is the 18" model. I am six foot tall and have used it with the sundowner and the stock seat. I look over the windshield and not through it. The wind still hits you in the fact, but its really not that bad at all. I like it a lot...well the function not the looks.

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
I'm pretty sure it's between the Rifle SoloShield and the 18" Windvest. Opinions on the two? Anyone have experience with both for a side-by-side??
PM Akjitsu. He had the Windvest with and without the laminar tip and now has the Rifle. His is clear.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i have the rifle. i like the look. have 2 screens. the standard for short hauls and the larger one for long ones. 4 screws and it is off.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Yeah that head buffetting sucks, it is bad enough with the
hd touring shield I have pretty much givin up on it and ride without. I love keeping the wind off the chest but long rides or speed and my head feels like it has been in a tumbler.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Your getting smarter Steppenwolf.
There is no substitute for what a good windshleld can do for long highway runs!!! FWIW, I have the D model shield (see gallery) and it works great until 55mph, then I start to get some buffetting, so a little bigger might be better. I'm 6'2". Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jetgod said:
PM Akjitsu. He had the Windvest with and without the laminar tip and now has the Rifle. His is clear.
Thanks! I will...

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
I have only used the Windvest, keeps just enough off you, I don't have it on unless I am using my half helmet. Click my link for a few pics.

·
Bad luck depository
545 Posts
5'11" have 14" wind vest on and is one adjustment down from full up. Wind hits right about 1" above my eyes on helmet. I could go up one inch but have been lazy! Look over top of shield

1 - 20 of 27 Posts