Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 11 dx and are doing the bagger thing with it. Was just wanting to know what windshields will fit this bike? Thanks for any help.

·
bajarob
5 Posts
Windshield recomendation

I got an 11 dx and are doing the bagger thing with it. Was just wanting to know what windshields will fit this bike? Thanks for any help.
I bought a windshield from rifle.com - it is adjustable for angle and height depending on conditions. The gallery has a photo of my 09' with it on. price was abou $300

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a new spitfire windsheild off ebay for $80. Fits great, looks great, good wind protection, great price! Just peel off the cheezy decal on the front of the sheild and you are good to go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Congrats, What color did you get? I am planning on getting a sedona orange when I get back from this deployment.

I bought a windshield from rifle.com - it is adjustable for angle and height depending on conditions. The gallery has a photo of my 09' with it on. price was abou $300
What model windshield did you get? Does it have the quick disconnect for removal?

I bought a new spitfire windsheild off ebay for $80. Fits great, looks great, good wind protection, great price! Just peel off the cheezy decal on the front of the sheild and you are good to go.
What model is your windshield? Does it seem very scratch resistant and is there any glare?

I would love to see more photos on Night Rods with windshields in this thread! Hint Hint

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My color

Congrats, What color did you get? I am planning on getting a sedona orange when I get back from this deployment.

I got the chrome yellow but I just looked at the sedona orange one. I think those are the too best colors on the 2011 models. Both colors really pop on all that black.

What model windshield did you get? Does it have the quick disconnect for removal?

I'm still looking at different ones

What model is your windshield? Does it seem very scratch resistant and is there any glare?

I would love to see more photos on Night Rods with windshields in this thread! Hint Hint

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Windshield

I really like that windshield you have. Spitfire do they come tinted or anything like that. It looks real nice on your bike.

·
The Pharoah Rider
402 Posts
What saddle bags are you installing on that DX

EDIT: OK saw it in your signature

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's the first windshield on a DX that I've liked. Love that price. Looks like an easy install too. I'm buying one next paycheck.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a VRSCA with the Harley detachable touring windshield. Big, not cute, but not ugly, It keeps the wind off. As stated you would have to change you headlight. I would not advise the Harley Super Sport, looks good, but lots of folks buy those and resell them, buffeting issues, just not high enough. If Windvest makes one for your bike they are good and come off in just a couple of minutes. Here is a link to Dennis Kirk with Windvest:

https://www.denniskirk.com/harley-d...-harley-davidson-night-rod-special-vrscdx.mmy

They are not cheap, but thick and durable. Unless you are over 6ft then the 14" will probably do the job. On E-bay and Amazon I have seen a cowling like windshield that might fit. I think the model number was S20 the name was Slipstreamer.

JP Cycles has Memphis Shades that look good. Usually you have to the buy the windshield and the mount, so they are not as cheap as they first appear. Link below:

http://www.jpcycles.com/2012-harley-davidson-night-rod-special-vrscdx/memphis-shades/windshields

Hope you find something that looks right for you. Take a look in my profile and you can find a better picture of mine with the touring windshield.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I tried several windshields on my '03A. I got a severe updraft with all that made me keep looking. The batwing was the solution.

Just saying....

·
Registered
43 Posts
HD Windshield Angle

Have the HD 25" touring shield on my 2003 Anniversary. Top of windshield feels too close to my helmet, since it clips to the forks and follows the same rake. Any way to reduce the rake of the windshield?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Customized Rifle Windshield

I received my custom windshield to mount on existing HD quick detachable hardware. I increased width by 6" and height by 4".

Well, it fits, but doesn't look too flattering! Now I'm looking for another set of HD quick detachable hardware to mount the original shield for riding around town, and using the blotted shield for long(er) trips.

I tested it, and didn't notice an improvement in wind noise or head buffering.

Thoughts??

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
When you are an old fart,. and the wind causes your tri-focal glasses to dance, it sucks. (plus, you can't see where you are going).

Forward controls are a big part of the problem as wind comes up your legs, which are in front of you. Try putting your feet on the passenger pegs and see how much different it is.

But I find forward controls the most comfortable on a long ride.

After several windshields, I find that the best solution is one that lets the wind hit the visor on the helmet. It is the updraft that causes most of the discomfort, and I cured that with a batwing fairing and lowers. Nothing else worked.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an '06 D and I have been looking for a windscreen for the bike. Want something to take a little of the wind off of me and yet still look good on the bike. Want to keep the stock D headlight because I simply like the way it looks, but I know that severely limits my choices in windshields. Then I spied this bike on ebay and it has a small windshield on it that is very complementary to the D. I sent an inquiry to the ebay seller but have not heard back from him yet. Does anybody recognize it (the windshield that is) as to its manufacturer? Thanks!

·
EXCELSIOR
8,459 Posts
That is an HD "Compact Mid-Sport" windshield for D and DX models. You may have trouble finding it. I can suggest checking e-bay.

As an alternative there's a guy that posted here a few days ago that modified a quick detachable Memphis Shade Del-Rio shield to do the same and posted in the "Bagger" section. He took his time and carved the bottom to match the fairing contours. The benefit is it comes on/off with a couple latches for the times you want to be more Sporting or just want to clean the bike easier. Follow link to photos. MS makes several sizes of shield that fit the same quick mounts so if you think the one pictured is too large/small, there are other sizes to choose from.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311289

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks RC-man. You have been a very helpful source of info for me on this board. I'll check out the leads you gave me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Harley Quick Detach from a Dyna

On my 06 D I use a Quick Detachable Sport windshield from a 06 and newer Dyna. Its about 18" tall. I had to remove the headlight cowl for it to fit but I didn't mind that. The mounts clip right on my 49mm forks. I'm good to about 75mph then I get some buffeting. Much better protection then the Night rod Mid Sport shield and I think better looking too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the same "Spitfire" windshield from Windjammer and I am very happy with it. While maybe not as wind-blocking as the Harley shield; it looks much better and does a fair job for $75 bucks. Like the previous blogger said; "loose the cheap decal (I replaced with a quality Harley decal) and you are good to go."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts