Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
WEB Super Freak
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many threads about windshields; however, I have not seen any that talk about the passenger’s point of view. I currently have a Super Sport and have the max height I can get out of it. It does cut my head in half, and create a tremendous about of noise - but I can live with this.

What is happening though is that my wife (passenger) is getting pounded by the wind at speeds over 50. This makes her ride shitty. With that said, if she does not enjoy the ride, there will not be much riding for "us" which limits my riding time. My only option is to get a larger windshield such as the Touring Windshield.

So goes the question:

Is there any height differences in the SS vs. the Touring (if so how much) and does anyone have any experiences/opinions from the view of the "passenger" using a Touring Windshield?

·
WEB Super Freak
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There were no replies, so I purchased the HD Touring Windshield, install and tested. Here are my results:

The Touring Windshield does provide me with plenty of coverage from a height prospective - about 4-5 more inches. I can also say that I can drive at 65mph with no glasses on (I wear contacts) with only minor eye irritation and very little noise. I was actually able to hear the SE Exhaust.

From the passengers POV, it seems to be right on target. I complete improvement over the Super Sport. There was very little helmet "push" and the airflow did not give the feeling of falling off the back of the bike.

I hope this helps anyone who has a Super Sport and is considering the purchase of a Touring Windshield.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Great info, broberts001, and thanks! Nothing beats info based on an actual road-test like this.

I have that stupid SS windshield on mine and it's been quite a PITA, but I don't carry passengers very often - I don't know, for some reason my 16 yo son won't let me take him to school on the rod. - Anyway, I didn't have a clue if the touring windshield would help your wife, so will file that info away.

My daughter likes to ride 2-up with me when she feels well enough, but we haven't tried anything more than errands around town. Maybe I could coaxe her into longer rides with better wind protection. The kids all MUCH prefer riding with my DH on his Road Sofa.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I've tried the SS and the Sport. The Sport is better, less buffeting for me and my passenger but after Bikeweek and a miserable ride home (@ 80 mph the buffeting with a full face gave me a major league headache and anything over 50 mph with just glasses and the half helmet tried to vibrate the glasses off my head) I took it off. The ride with nothing is clean and smooth. Zero buffeting, nothing but clean air across the face.

Now I'm looking to do a detachable touring setup for those long highway miles. The HD touring @ $350+ with mounting kit is obscenely over priced. I was looking at the Memphis Shades El-Paso and Rio-Grande in the 19" flavor. OTD for ~$130 is much more reasonable for a piece of lexan and a mounting bracket.

Now the question, is anyone running the Memphis Shade sport style shields. I can't stomach the chrome cross straps of the "fats" shield so it's either one of their sport style or nothing at all.

Chopper Steve, you've installed them all, how's the coverage on the Rio-Grande?

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Broberts - several of us have found an even greater improvement with the touring shield and Memphis Shade lowers installed. It decreases wind noise further and stops torbulence from below.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Std profile, large diameter. Chopper Steve has the right one listed on the V-Mod site. You will have to slide the Touring shield bracket all the way up, and probably want to shorten (or reverse?) the bolts as they hit the frame at full turn. But the difference is worth it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a the HD removeable, touring windshield. Knocks down the wind on long drives, comes off easy for shorter trips. Looks goofy, but then I'm there to make myself comfortable, not impress others. I also put on the roll bars just so I could have a spot for highway pegs and stretch out my legs. That looks goofy too, but very nice on longer rides. I refer back to the "who am I impressing" remark. Gotta do what's good for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts