Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concidering buying the H-D Super Sport windshield for the V-Rod. Does anyone out there have one that would like to share their opinion about the unit?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have read here the super sport windshield funnels a lot of air AT your face.. is that true guys?

I have the touring windshield... I'm 5' 11"... it's about an inch and a half too short... or maybe too tall... at any rate... my head buffets like crazy... anyone know a way to raise the windshild about an inch or so? I'm think of unbolting it from the mounts and drilling new holes to raise it..

thanks

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
You can slide it (touring shield) up on the forks about an inch. But try the Memphis Shade lowers. I'm betting the draft is coming under the windshield, not over. EWith the shades, you have to slide it up. Watch out for bolt clearance - they will hit the frame if not shortened a little on a full turn.

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
My biggest 2 issues are, 1. how does the bike look with the windshield off and mounting hardware still attached to the bike. 2. how easy or hard is the windshield to remove and reattach. I say there isn't a windshield that looks good on a V-rod, but it's great to have one to break the wind on a long trip. So far from what I have gathered (I have yet to see one in person), the Windvest suits my requirments the best.

·
Tuner
395 Posts
Memphis Del Ray & Del Rio, quick detach, works great, 1 large, 1 small. I got the 2 shields and the quick mount last year for less than $200, got them for fall riding and now wont take it off.

http://www.cyborgcycles.com/memphis.htm

·
Registered
503 Posts
I went out to the garage and actually LOWERED the mounts an inch or so.. did't take it for a ride yet.. will report back.

I don't mind a little wind in the face... it's the BUFFETING.... I think I just need to fiddle to find a "sweet spot"

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've yet to have anybody say that my windshield does not look good :).

But I have had people not like the hardbags. I guess I'm going to have to try to post some pictures to get the (real) V-rod riders opinion. :mrgr:

RedDog

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Here is another solution. I mounted the Memphis Shades lowers directly to my touring windshield. It gets rid of the less than perfectly chromed Memphis brackets, they now flow with the lines of the windshield, and they come off with the windshield. Oh yes, they also work!

Attachments

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Daniii,

I like that solution, much better looking both on and off the bike than using the Memphis mounting brackets. Can you lower the shield now that you've removed the Memphis mounts?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Yup. But its perfect for me all the way up (I'm 6'2"). I also see that Memphis now has a quick release version of the lowers, but I'm not happy with their chrome quality. And the angle of the lowers on the brackets is "just not right". I had to use some parts from their mounting kit though. (Ps: I made this mod after reading one of your earlier posts!).

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
rayrod said:
I am concidering buying the H-D Super Sport windshield for the V-Rod.
Since Ray asked about the Super Sport, and I actually have one, I'll try and answer the question.

IMHO it works quite well. It is a good compromise between the Sport wind deflector, which really doesn't do anything; and the touring windshield, which is fine for touring, but is probably too much for general riding around.

Keep in mind that no windshield is going to keep the toupee on your head or your cigar ash from flying off at 70 mph. Even with the windshield in place you are going to experience some windblast at speed. I've found that a helmet and snug-fitting clothes help; and add earplugs for longer rides. Where the S/S windshield really comes into its own is in taking the wind pressure off your chest. The upright riding position of the V-Rod can really make this a burden, especially at higher speed.

Another nice thing about the S/S is that it doesn't seem to compromise the steering of the bike in crosswinds. Many of the same folks who kvetch about the V-Rod's solid wheels are also the same folks who happily add a huge Lexan "sail" to the front end. Go figure... I recently rode my S/S equipped V-Rod in gusty 40 mph+ crosswinds, and while I did have to be careful, it certainly wasn't worse than most other bikes.

Installation and removal of the S/S takes about ten minutes; although most folks leave the chrome shroud over the headlight on full-time. You probably don't want to leave the hardware in place with the shield off - it looks at bit odd. The only tools you'll need for installation are a couple of hex wrenches and some threadlocker.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Orest: I simply affixed the lowers to the bottom bolt location of the Touring shield, but used the mounting "doughnuts" that came with the lowers, and the long allen screw (intended for the bracket) with a nut I found in my nut collection. For the lower one, I used a Dremel cutting-like drill bit and drilled a hole in the bottom of the touring shield (gasp!) and used the other "doughnut" from the memphis shade mounting kit. Here I used the standard length Memphis bolt, but again needed a nut from my collection. Blue loctite on the nuts and rubber washers all the way around.
Guess I shoulda taken pics as i went along....

·
skin changer
824 Posts
rayrod said:
I am concidering buying the H-D Super Sport windshield for the V-Rod. Does anyone out there have one that would like to share their opinion about the unit?
I have a s/s windshield and I went to a machine shop and had 2 1/2" stainless steel risers made to straighten out the angle of the windshield and it made a difference. Now it's livable.
I have posted pictures in some of the other windshield threads showing it. It was very easy to install--a couple minutes and it pushes the top of the windshield out, making it straighter.
It's the best solution I found so far.
I think they charge $40.00 for the set and can be gotten by e-mailing [email protected]
He usually has some on stock because he has been selling quite a few. :ride:

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
missin44 said:
I say there isn't a windshield that looks good on a V-rod, but it's great to have one to break the wind on a long trip.
Personally I have no problems breaking wind on long trips, with or without a shield. :moon:

missin44 said:
So far from what I have gathered (I have yet to see one in person), the Windvest suits my requirments the best.
The windvest sure looks nice by itself and on other bikes, but I still haven't seen any good photos of one on a V-Rod. None on their web site, haven't seen any in the forums either. If anyone has some photos of a Windvest on your V-Rod, please post! I'll pay you :2cents:

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
diomedes said:
If anyone has some photos of a Windvest on your V-Rod, please post! I'll pay you :2cents:
I just ordered a tinted one from Doug @ WindVest yesterday. It should look good with the black/black combination. I should have it on by this weekend, if UPS comes through. I'll take some pic and post them.

HoldHard

1 - 20 of 23 Posts