Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my morning commute to work the other day the seas of traffic parted along a stretch of I-94 where there's no place for a police car to hide. I rolled on the throttle a bit and was enjoying the smooth and steady manners of the R at higher speeds. About the time the speedo indicated 120 the handlebars started a casual back-and-forth dance. For a fleeting instant I was convinced that a tank slapper was in my immediate future but the oscillation didn't grow in magnitude or increase in frequency. I eased off on the throttle and the oscillation was gone by the time I was back to about 105.

This was the first time the R felt unstable; it was a bit spooky.

I run the large removable windshield and I'm wondering if it the airflow over the shield at those speeds may lead to the wobble I experienced. Another thought is to check the neck bearings again to make sure they're properly tightened. The bike is a mere 1000 miles past a 5000-mile service so I would think the neck bearing adjustment should be OK but I'll have to check.

Has anybody else experienced something similar?

Ghost

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
IMHO I don't trust large windshiels above 90 mph and they do get a little unstable around traffic and large trucks especially. The mid shields are good for higher speeds.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I had the same issue on my Dad's A model when I put the Pingle extentions on it. It made the windshield stand straighter up to deflect the wind over your head, but caused a nasty wobble above 110. Now when I ride it I take the shield off :angeldev:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I hit 110 on a pass last week at the drags. I got a real strong pull to the left as I let off the throttle. Mechanical check said everything OK. I'm wondering if this was caused by the windshield ? It would seem to jive with others experiences.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You could try taking off the mentioned removable windscreen, run it back up to speed and see if it repeats. If doesn't recur can do the :dance: that at least it's not the steering stem etc.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
What is your tire inflation? I run around 42psi to avoid weaves at high speeds, the few times I have to enjoy such hooning. Windshields can cerainly create such a weave. Try it without the shield, and also try higher tire inflation pressures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts