Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty certain that I will be buying a V-rod as soon as possible, and I'm looking for some good advice on the available windshields. I've searched the archives, and am still a little in the dark. I love the feel of wind in my face for the short jaunts, but I'm looking for something that I can bolt on quickly that will block the majority of the breeze when I'm touring. My bro has a V-rod with the sport windshield, and the little buggar is worthless for a taller fella like myself (6'2"). I've seen one avail from the dealer that looks like a drive-in theater screen, and was wondering if anyone has had good luck with it.

Thanks,
Hot Rod

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would not recommend the Memphis Shades El Paso for your needs. The smoke to clear sheild looks good on the bike, but not very effective in re-directing the wind over your head.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Hot Rod,

The only real option for touring that will fit the bike and be quickly removable is the touring windshield from HD. Others have tried screens from Memphis Shades and the like but they end up looking as big as the factory shield and usually don't flow well with the lines of the bike.

If you're just looking to take some pressure off your mid section then the HD Sport windscreen is highly regarded. Also, at least one forum member has tried the Windvest and reports good results.

BTW, for serious touring the HD shield combined with the Memphis Shades lowers are the hot ticket.

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, fellas - I appreciate it. While I should probably buy the bike before I worry about the windshield, I just wanted to know that there was something out there that would break the wind (no pun intended). I'll plan on giving the HD touring shield a go.

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
I would not recommend the HD Supersport windshield, you would catch all the wind off the top of the shield right in your face! I will probably be selling mine if I can't get it adjusted better.

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
Vrod-tlam said:
I would not recommend the HD Supersport windshield, you would catch all the wind off the top of the shield right in your face! I will probably be selling mine if I can't get it adjusted better.
Try turning the bracket upside down. It raises it a couple of inches and makes a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
If I didnt have my HD Touring shield ( which works great) I would try the Rifle Solo, from the website looks like it would work as well if not better (since it is adjustable).

just my .02

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
OKIE said:
Try turning the bracket upside down. It raises it a couple of inches and makes a world of difference.
I did, it helps a little. Now the air only hits me in the forehead/top of my helmet.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I really like my HD Touring! It goes on and off in seconds!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hot Rod said:
Thanks for the replies, fellas - I appreciate it. While I should probably buy the bike before I worry about the windshield, I just wanted to know that there was something out there that would break the wind (no pun intended). I'll plan on giving the HD touring shield a go.
I just bought a windvest shield and I wouldn't have anything else. Sorry but I don't like the look of the HD sheilds. The windvest shields come with nice brackets, follow the bikes lines perfectly and are real easy to take off (just two bolts).The windvest is perfect for a guy your height and the company is great to work with. Just make sure you check out the windvest before you buy anything else or you may wish you had.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
What He Said!!

rkw3471 said:
I just bought a windvest shield and I wouldn't have anything else. Sorry but I don't like the look of the HD sheilds. The windvest shields come with nice brackets, follow the bikes lines perfectly and are real easy to take off (just two bolts).The windvest is perfect for a guy your height and the company is great to work with. Just make sure you check out the windvest before you buy anything else or you may wish you had.

I've written about (3) posts on this subject extolling the virtues of the Wind Vest system. They are the best looking and best performing of them all: IMHO
:2cents:

·
Registered
974 Posts
SuperSport

I am 6'1" and the SS windshield did me no good.
I have resorted to the sport and a helmet and made myself live with it.
But in reality I think that both detract from the looks of the bike.
:2cents:
It is costly to change your mind. So think hard.
BobT

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
My local dealer has a windvest on display, and after looking at the quality of the product, I can tell you I am in the market for one. MUCH better than the H-D ones, and they do look good.
Greg

·
StillBill
49 Posts
Redrazor

Hows the wind vest on wind at the head? They look to be lower than the touring H.D. shield. Do they redirect the wind up. I'm 6' and don't like brain bucket rattle all day.

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do like the apprearance of that Windvest, Jav. Keeps some sportyness to the machine. While it soulds like some people dig the big HD touring shield, it looks a little more cruiser than I'd like. Sounds like the Windvest unit is just as easy to remove as the HD, too. Thanks to all your advice, I'll probably go Windvest (wish they'd give you guys a commission!).

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Shape is everything

bill7590 said:
Hows the wind vest on wind at the head? They look to be lower than the touring H.D. shield. Do they redirect the wind up. I'm 6' and don't like brain bucket rattle all day.
The Wind Vest has a perfedtly designed outward curve at the top inch or so of the unit. It keeps the wind up and over your head.
redrazor :ride:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have the HD SuperSport also on the extended reach handlebars. I'm 5'10" and seemed to get wind hitting me in my mouth. I reversed the bracket raising the shield about 2", which put the edge of the wind at about my eyes.
I like the comments and photos of the Windvest. Anyone know the best place to purchase one?

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
www.windvest.com
My local dealer has a way to get them, but they seem to be marking up the retail price (imagine that). The V-rod one, with shipping in the states is $329.00 from the website.The dealer display is really nice... heavy Lexan and highly polished mounting hardware. I am trying to work out a deal with these guys, but I dont think I am going to have time before Az Bike week.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts