Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hollywood
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be getting old, but riding over 80mph is dragging my head off.

I have an 07 DX with extended reach bars, which is great for general touring. But when I need to make up time on a motorway or other fast road, the wind that hits my chest and head is now too much like hard work.

So is it my lid (Roof Boxer convertible) causing the problem or do I need a new windshield?

I'm not a great fan of windshields (look too ugly), but if my lid is not the problem, has anyone got any recommendations as to a windshield, preferably detachable?

Alternatively, if everyone reckons the Roof lid is known to cause these problems, has anyone got any recommendations for a convertible open/closed-face lid?

Thanks
Hollywood

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
My Shoei X-11 is bad ass as far as airflow around it is concerned. I suggest trying one. They're 50%+ off these days since the new (heavier) X-12 came out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Never tried a flip front myself but others have said they are more prone to wind noise, so if wind is getting in then it must be creating forces in/around the helmet. Look for a new lid first.

·
Steppenwolf
159 Posts
I use a Schuberth C3 on the motorway. No wind noises, no shaking head in the wind, absolutely calm. As an alternative look at the Schuberth J1. Perfect quality both.

Also have the Roof Boxer, which is very, very poor quality. It is produced under french license in Tunesia as far as I know. That's why it is so cheap.

As a Jet Helmet with full visor I saw in Faak last week the unbelievable Ruby.
Very exlusive but worth every cent.

·
Hollywood
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I'll check out the C3, J1 and the X-11.

Jan, I was in Faak last week too, but couldn't find any proper lids. Probably too much beer the night before, dulling the senses.

Just out of curiosity, are the above lids comfortable at 100mph? And none of you have windshields (which would be cheating)?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Thanks guys.

Jan, I was in Faak last week too, but couldn't find any proper lids. Probably too much beer the night before, dulling the senses.

Just out of curiosity, are the above lids comfortable at 100mph? And none of you have windshields (which would be cheating)?
Check out my recent post re wind deflectors,the one I made I tried out at the weekend and cruising on the motorway at 90 mph was no problem no buffeting at all.Regardless of which helmet you use you will still get buffeting if you have no wind protection. Just my 2c.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The X-11 is a racebike helmet. It's got the ducktail spoiler on the back of it that kind of locks it in at high speed. It wants to stay straight up and pointing forward to the point that it actually takes a noticable effort to break out of the airflow around it to turn your head to the side. Arai makes very nice helmets as well though I haven't used them personally. The X-11 was the lightest helmet available and had good reviews for ventilation is why I went with it. The quietness and stability of it were a welcome addition. It was a $700 US helmet a couple years ago but as the sportbike crowd must have the absolute newest on the market it's a bargain item now that an X-12 is out.

·
Steppenwolf
159 Posts
I met a guy from London at the Burn Out Bar. He had an oustanding V-Rod Jacket he bought via eBay. Mean I was soo jealous because of the Jacket. But I guess there haven been a lot more from London :)

No, I have no windshield. The Schuberth C3 was winner in every test. I myself can recommend it. But go to your helmet shop and make a testride with it. The Schuberth fits best to me. My wife prefered a Shoei 1000, but its an fully Integralhelmet.

My friend bought a Ruby Belvedere for EUR 670, which is out of my possibility :broke:, but he was very satisfied. The Schuberth J1 might be a good comprmise between schuberth C3 and the Ruby.

Thanks guys.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Having an englishman's nose myself I will say I had to cut the rubber deflector inside for my shnozz. The Shoei's are made by Japanese who have different shaped heads than us Anglos. I do recommend trying them on in person. Once you know what fits and what size then I recommend buying online, much cheaper.

·
Hollywood
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys.

I'll check them both out. Just need to find a shop in London that stocks both. Buying online is a good shout. No point paying more unless, of course, the shop will do a deal.

One last rally this weekend then I'll have plenty of time to pick and choose; don't want to be riding to Croatia in 2011 with an uncomfortable lid.

Jan, I saw a few people from London at EBW, but not too many. One of our best nights was in the Burn Out Bar (or was it Choppers Bar?). Either way it was about 3.00am and one of my mates, in a crap attempt at dancing on a wobbly table, slipped off, hit the table, then the bench, then the floor - all with his head... and took a few people with him! Happy days.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
The X-11 is a racebike helmet. It's got the ducktail spoiler on the back of it that kind of locks it in at high speed. It wants to stay straight up and pointing forward to the point that it actually takes a noticable effort to break out of the airflow around it to turn your head to the side. Arai makes very nice helmets as well though I haven't used them personally. The X-11 was the lightest helmet available and had good reviews for ventilation is why I went with it. The quietness and stability of it were a welcome addition. It was a $700 US helmet a couple years ago but as the sportbike crowd must have the absolute newest on the market it's a bargain item now that an X-12 is out.
made by Japanese who have different shaped heads than us Anglos. I do recommend trying them on in person. Once you know what fits and what size then I recommend buying online, much cheaper.
:them:
I switched from a Nolan N102 to the Shoei RF 1100 and it made a huge difference for the better with air resistance. One of the nicest things about the Shoei is that they design the helmets to be more aerodynamic and quiet while in a relaxed riding position. With the Nolan I had to intentionally tilt my head further down to cut down on noise and resistance, whereas with the Shoei I just keep my head in the normal relaxed riding position for maximum comfort and quietness.
Don't be afraid to swap out cheek pads to get that perfect fit.

·
Steppenwolf
159 Posts
Cheers guys.

Jan, I saw a few people from London at EBW, but not too many. One of our best nights was in the Burn Out Bar (or was it Choppers Bar?). Either way it was about 3.00am and one of my mates, in a crap attempt at dancing on a wobbly table, slipped off, hit the table, then the bench, then the floor - all with his head... and took a few people with him! Happy days.
mwdhand is right. Buying online might save a lot of money. Here in Hamburg we have a big store were its allowed to testride the helmets for an hour or so. My wife did ist and we bought her Shoei online and saved nearly 50%.

We were nearly evening at the BO Bar. At Wednesday (I think it was) we were lucky - a Lady danced and stripped on OUR wobbly table. We sat on the bench and secured it. At the Chopper Bar we saw Katie Shotter, who lives in NY. Wasn't she outstanding? What a performance. And the Deep Purple Cover Band was also fantastic.

The story of your friend. Hope, no serious injury - and shows us how important a helmet is during the EBW Night & Day. You know the Song: "Catch me I'm falling" from Real Life...

·
rgordini65
79 Posts
Hi Timpurvis! Hi fellows!
Greetings from Brazil!
I have some hearing problems and I must avoid noise.
I use a BMW System 5 helmet.
Great product, a little heavy - but very quiet and no wind turbulences!
That's my sugestion - System 5 or the new System 6 (a little lighter).
Regards,
edson47

Cheers guys.

I'll check them both out. Just need to find a shop in London that stocks both. Buying online is a good shout. No point paying more unless, of course, the shop will do a deal.

One last rally this weekend then I'll have plenty of time to pick and choose; don't want to be riding to Croatia in 2011 with an uncomfortable lid.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Use both. I found a Shoei multitech helmet and a mid-sport wind screen - 80 is painless. Did 1500 miles last week, will do 1600 this week. It is supposed to be fun - not work. Joe

·
Hollywood
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all

I'll add the BMW System 5/6 to my checklist (thanks Edson47).

CPTJAM - what's the part number of that mid-sport windscreen? I guess it's not detachable? Might look into that as well during winter.

I think the Shoei is standard spec for traffic police here in the UK. Any policemen out there on 1130cc? What is standard issue in your country? I'm assuming the police would have conducted substantial research before committing to a particular manufacturer (or did their bean-counters interfere and buy on best price)?

And Jan, yep, the music was great throughout. Have been trying to avoid stripping dancers - was costing me too much - particularly in Moulin Rouge! And my friend was fine - I think the jagermeisters had anaesthetised the pain.

Cheers all
Hollywood

·
Lost Cause
163 Posts
I have a scorpion Exo-400
Not too bad, kinda whistles at high speed.
But it also has the spoiler in back, flys straight and true, however checking blind spots is tough cause it dosent want to turn... its that airflow thing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
2010 Bell Star is the lid I use. Plus you can get the photochromatic lens for it.

·
Free At Last
212 Posts
I do recommend trying them on in person. Once you know what fits and what size then I recommend buying online, much cheaper.
Is that the right thing to do? Sort of like stealing from your local guy, isn't it? You know, they guy who pays taxes to your community, supports the local kids teams, gives to the local fund raisers, etc etc etc. In case you haven't noticed, there are less of those guys around, your money is going to the out of town Junkmart owner and even further away. Don't cry when the local guy & his support is gone.

Sorry for bitching, but it's wrong. If you want to buy online, use the online resources only.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Apples to apples best price wins, what I won't do is buy look alike junk though. I'm not giving away my money for his sake. Obviously he isn't giving his away for mine either or he'd have the cheapest price. Yeah so doesn't get an over priced helmet sale but he'll still get business from me, mounting tires, etc. But I'm not throwing him an extra $200 on a helmet. I did it with my X-11 and was sick after I saw how much cheaper I could get it online. 40% markup my ass!

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
I have an 07Dx and a Roof helmet also. I got the mid sport windshield for the Dx and I never wear the helmet now unless racing. I for one don't like helmets. Windshield dose it's job.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts